“Terrible service, management a disgrace”
Review of Annam Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Annam Restaurant
Ranked #18,450 of 28,447 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm not gonna beat around the bush but this has got to be the worst restaurant I have ever been to. This is from my own previous experience & was only dragged there last night because a friend of ours wanted to go there. Personally I'd had enough of the place after three bad experiences. These bad experiences however happened at least 5 years ago but i was willing to give them another chance. One of them being me having a glass of red wine tipped over me by a waitress. I received an apology, but they didn't offer to get me another glass of wine or in fact offer to dry clean my dress. Luckily I was wearing black at the time but that's really not the point. It's a real shame because the food is really nice but it's the service that's the problem & judging by last nights events theres still  a problem with the management & ownership too. I meet up with some friends last night, two of which I hadn't seen for a few months & it was a bit of a belated birthday meal for one of our friends. We had a reservation booked for 8 o'clock & none of us were late. It took half an hour to order our drinks which was not acceptable. We had by that time decided what we wanted to eat so gave our food order at the same time.  The starters then turned up sporadically every 10 mins & received only 3 starters out of 6 within half an hour. We complained, was told sorry, then our second course of crispy duck arrived before our 3 starters. We complained, was told sorry again. They took away the duck which was cold & then two of the missing starters arrived. They then brought a second duck but by this point we were all so hungry that we ate the duck course anyway. Our friend had his second course before his first course because it finally turned up after he had eaten the duck. The time was now 10 o'clock. The main courses started arriving at about 10.30 which came up correctly at roughly the same time except for one course which arrived quite late & we had all nearly finished. But it was the events after this which was really disgusting. We had obviously complained all evening about the terrible service & one of our friends had negotiated a 20% discount with some complimentary wine, but the manager & the guy who sorted out the bill had not communicated with each other & they were trying to charge us for the wine which we had not ordered but had been given to us because if the bad service. Our friend then approached the till area where the staff were gathered to try & sort it out when an overly aggressive man arrived pointing his finger & shouting although we couldn't quite hear what he was saying we where on the other side of the restaurant. It's quite a big restaurant by the way. However his actions where very aggressive so our friends wife went over to him to try & find out what his problem was. He was then was very aggressive to her, pushed her arm a couple of times & seemed to think we were being unreasonable for questioning the bill. It turned out that he was the owner of the restaurant! Absolutely disgusting behaviour to act like that to customers. I hasten to add that all through us sorting out the bill the owner was sitting at his table surrounded by his friends (we think)  drunkenly ranting & shouting at us. Needless to say we finally got our discount with the wine after negotiation with the manager & made a sharp exit. I was thinking this situation could have developed into something quite nasty judging by the owners actions.  My friend had told us that the restaurant had new management & we noticed that the name had changed from Naman Vietnamese Restaurant to Tai Viet but I don't think it's under new management at all. I think they have changed the name because of the bad reputation they have had in the past as it seemed to me they had the same people in charge. Just a quick note to the owner if you happen to care about customer service & read your reviews, although i very much doubt it, but going out to a restaurant with friends is all about the over all experience. People do not want to go out & have to complain because the service is bad. They want to relax & have a good time & enjoy their food & company. They also want to be listened to if they gave a complaint & not have a drunken fool point & gesture aggressively at them. Take note that I will never frequent your restaurant again & I shall make it my mission to tell everyone I know about your appalling actions last night. On an end note, good luck with your supposed new business, not!

Write a reviewReviews (5)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a big round table for 10 of us. The food is probably the best Asian food in the area. It is now under new management and it has only got better. They have a private Karaoke room, which we went into after our meal... was a rally good place for a group meal, but they also have smaller tables the other side of the restaurant which is more personal. Will defo be going back.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have eaten at Nam An several times and it has never failed to please. The menu is extensive and there is certain to be something to suit all tastes even for those who dislike far eastern food. It is a fairly large room and therefore the atmosphere is better on busy nights. We have always had good service and have never had any cause for complaint about any of the food; by now we must have tried most of the menu between us.

Nam An is at one end of Wanstead High St but there is a convenient car park nearby. The High street itself is worth exploring because it has the sort of shops one would expect to find in a small market town.

Interestingly, one of the two signs above the door says An Nam.....................then again I don't speak the language so perhaps it is not really a curiosity.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Visited with my sons and their partners for my husband's birthday. Lovely table by the fish pond and restaurant has great decor. Unfortunately, the 'air' heating system, presumably, the same used for cooling in summer, was blowing out cool air. True, it was cold outside and this was the waitresses excuse when I mentioned how cold we all were.

The food is good, but they don't provide the little table heaters to keep it warm and some of the dishes were served on cold plates. With the cool air temperature and the cold plates, our food quickly became chilled.

We would have stayed for dessert, but just wanted to leave to get warm, so the restaurant missed out on a higher bill!

We will visit again, but in the summer!

Date of visit: February 2012