“Hearty appetites well catered fo”

El Gaucho - South Kensington
Ranked #3,185 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Transit: Buses: 14, 49, 70, 74, 345, 360, 414, 430, C1 Underground: South Kensington
Reviewed February 4, 2013

On a cold Sunday evening after a weekend course in a local hotel for one of us and a mosey round the shops for the other, needed a hearty meal in comfortable surroundings with good value.
The staff were welcoming and at around 19:00 the place was full of diners - couples mainly due to the table set ups, but also a family and a two small groups of friends.
Clean and tidy with the sights and sounds of the kitchen. Waiting staff were attentive and very helpful. Good Argentinian beers to go with the beef.
looking at the portions we decided we would try a couple of starters, but knew we may need a doggy-bag for the steaks to follow! In the end the meat was so good we polished it off without a worry. The staff were in no hurry to rush tables through and the general buzz suggested all diners were having a great eating experience.
These are big portions so go prepared. The french fries and southern chips were both good as was the chimichurry.
Tables are a little close, you need to be considerate of those behind and to the side of you.
Facilities were clean and tidy.
Would definitely go back if visiting the museums or shops in South Ken as after a long day it is really good tasty plates of food.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Have visited this place a few times and generally the food is very good indeed, even though you pay a premium. However the last visit was on a Saturday. We had a table booked for 9.30pm and on arrival we were shepherded into the adjoining bar to wait for our table. It was a 50 minute wait, and that was with us pressuring them. We had a few drinks at the bar which were very pricey, and we wondered if this was a bit of a money-making ruse on the part of the management. The place now feels slightly more like a nightclub which serves food rather than a restaurant and I wonder if there has been a recent change in direction. When the food arrived it was not to the usual high standard which made the very large bill a bit more unpalatable than normal. Perhaps this was a bad night, but it would make me think twice about going again especially given the variety and quality of restaurants in the South Kensington area.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The menu of steaks is lovely as well as starters and drinks. Service is good. I would say it is value for money.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Walked past this restaurant on our way to the South Kensington flat we were renting, looked at the menu & decided to give it a go.

The interior was charming & the staff very helpful!

I can't exactly remember what I ordered - some kind of steak w ham & cheese on top - but little did I know how gigantic the portion would be! I barely made a dent & was very distraught I couldn't finish it as it was so delicious. We did have it taken away though & my partner gobbled it up the next day :)

The sangria was delicious & the bread they serve before the meal. I will definitely be returning to El Gaucho on my next trip to South Kensington!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went on a Saturday night, and the restaurant was quite busy, but certainly not full. The a la carte menu is quite expensive, as is the wine-list, so we opted for the set menu special - just £14.95 for an empanada as a starter and spare ribs as main course. The service was slow, both in taking our order and for the food to arrive. However the food was good, and the ambience is lively and genuine (notwithstanding the plasma screen in the corner showing football with the volume turned down).