“Ten out of ten!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Transit: Buses: 14, 49, 70, 74, 345, 360, 414, 430, C1 Underground: South Kensington
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Walked past this restaurant on our way to the South Kensington flat we were renting, looked at the menu & decided to give it a go.

The interior was charming & the staff very helpful!

I can't exactly remember what I ordered - some kind of steak w ham & cheese on top - but little did I know how gigantic the portion would be! I barely made a dent & was very distraught I couldn't finish it as it was so delicious. We did have it taken away though & my partner gobbled it up the next day :)

The sangria was delicious & the bread they serve before the meal. I will definitely be returning to El Gaucho on my next trip to South Kensington!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went on a Saturday night, and the restaurant was quite busy, but certainly not full. The a la carte menu is quite expensive, as is the wine-list, so we opted for the set menu special - just £14.95 for an empanada as a starter and spare ribs as main course. The service was slow, both in taking our order and for the food to arrive. However the food was good, and the ambience is lively and genuine (notwithstanding the plasma screen in the corner showing football with the volume turned down).

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I live this chain and have Ben using hem for years, however, I now find paying 150 pounds or lunch for two with a google of water tow glasses of wine and just a main and desert a little too rich.
The food is good and the service and the presentation of the cuts on offer is great, but the cost doesn't addd up. I can eat just as well in London for a lot less.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Every time I stay in London I pass by this restaurant. Tonight I thought to give it a try. Having lived in Argentina for Eleven years, I felt like eating Argentinian Steak tonight.

The underground restaurant is very small but kind of cozy and cute.

I ordered their Special meal of the day for 19.95£, which consisted of one empanada, your choice of fries or baked potato, and a strip of grill steak.
They served me one piece of bread as a starter, which I though was kind of stingy on their part. Maybe because I was eating alone, and being a female they probably thought I wasn't going to eat too much. The bread was excellent along with their onion/vinegar salsa. I got excited that I was to embark on a delicious meal! The empanada came and it was flaky and hot. Although very oily. It seemed like it was either fried or very greasy baked. Although it was greasy (I had to hold the empanada with a napkin because the oil kept on dripping on my hands), it was tasty.
I patiently waited for my steak. While I was waiting for my steak I told one of the waiters that I wanted my steak medium well done since my waiter never asked me how I wanted my steak cooked. He told me not to worry because they always cook medium to well done.
So my steak finally arrived, and to my disappointment it was so hard, and chewy. It was like eating gum. The Steak was overlooked and so hard that I couldn't even finish it. The chimichurry lacked flavor. It was mostly all oil with very little paisley in sight, and none of that delicious chimichurry taste that I expected.

It was a total let down. Don't know why this place has so many good reviews. I saw another guest and you can tell that she was having a hard time cutting through that hard meat.
Maybe I got a bad cook tonight? Whatever it is I am never coming back again.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Quirky interior and the building itself - almost like a little shed. Argentinian cowboy paraphernalia hung around which adds to the atmosphere. The food itself was fantastic. We had the chorizo as a starter and steaks for mains. Absolutely delicious. Good Argentinian red wine as well. A great little place and pricing was very reasonable given the quality of food.