“Good Brunch”

Add it.
Fat Delicatessen
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Spanish
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stopped here for scrambled eggs and salmon on toast...very tasty. The coffee was also good but somehow the place lacks a bit of ambience...more just plain scruffy than 'scruffy chic'!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I'd walked past frequently and hadn't been overly impressed with the window display, which gave a somewhat dingy and drab impression (probably nothing that some good lighting and a professional window dresser couldn't fix). But I read some reviews that suggested this deli had something a bit special to offer. Indeed, once inside, there is much more of a wholefoody buzz than would be evident from just looking through the window, with some lovely, unusual cheeses on display, fresh bread etc. A few business people and a couple of yummy mummies were lunching there, I would say it was about a quarter full. The chickpea and spinach dish we had was tasty but they forgot the mackerel dish we ordered. With the gambas, we discovered at the last minute it was whole prawns in shell with head and whiskers on - eew! As demi vegs we are rather squeamish and wish this could be pointed out on menus so that we are forewarned.

The chef made a point that he was doing us a big favour in shelling the prawn on our behalf, and told us not to ask for this service again as he was only willing to do it as he wasn't busy. He shelled it but it arrived with the head, eyes and whiskers still on! It went back a second time and he finished the shelling. We were left feeling thoroughly uncomfortable at the trouble we were clearly causing and to be honest the prawn tasted a bit unpleasant anyway, hardly worth all the fuss, and we couldn't eat it - although the preamble was hardly likely to whet our appetite.

This could be a good little place but everything from the drab window to the attitude of the chef and waiters is too complacent and amateur. Bring on the restaurant inspector ... I'm sure a professional could really sort these guys out and we could end up with a nice little venue here.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Had lunch there a couple of time and then brunch 3 weeks ago. Really nice food. We had the charcuterie board, salad, mushrooms on toast and egg on toast between us and it was all very good. Great coffee as well. Three deserts; two great, the other was a coffee cake that was a little dry. Service was a tad slow but perfectly ok. Was a little expensive but seemed worth it.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

i was fit in even though the place was full, so its best to book ahead. Chilled atmosphere & great food & wine

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I came in for lunch with my little girl. Food took ages and was cold when it arrived and was sent back to be reheated. Other meal was incomplete and I had to ask for the rest of it. I received no apology and when I tried to complain I was amazed to find out I had been served by the owner! Will not be going back.