“Amazing french dinner”

Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Located near Smithfield Market in London, Comptoir Gascon is a French gourmet bistro and deli. Awarded a Bib Gourmand by Michelin, Comptoir Gascon offers superb French bistro-style cuisine specialised in South-West France food and wines. Rustic yet elegant, Comptoir Gascon restaurant has a very cosy, warm ambiance and a romantic feel.With its large range of French wines, the pairing with the fine regional French cuisine is perfect. A 'plat du jour' is offered for £9.50 And sits alongside our list of changing blackboard specials. The bistro menu features delicious dishes like seared scallops with confit chicory and orange sauce, baby basil ravioles with pumpkin cream or duck confit & greens "Landaise". The award-winning French fries cooked in duck fat and the famous Duck Burger are a favourite with diners. On London's Charterhouse Street, Comptoir Gascon is a short walk away from Farringdon, Barbican or St Paul's stations.
Reviewed July 19, 2019

We went there to celebrate my friend's dinner and I was surprised about the quality of the service and the food.
We had a bottle of an amazing merlot with handcut fries, cod, duck and salami. The pate' it's the best I've ever tried and the service provided by Marianne was Very professional and attentive. I really recommend it!

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (277)

Reviewed July 1, 2019

That's where you need to go in London.
typically geared towards South-West of France cuisine, it's quite a nice and quiet restaurant. Good service, the magret was just a little bit lacking of something (definitly not pepper, that was a little bit too much!).
You need to add a side as well, otherwise, you may end up with just the meat and nothing else!

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

Having tried club gascon dishes at taste of London and liking foie gras I decided to pop in on my way to hotel and had the burger with foie gras and had it with truffle cream! A very tasty burger! Would highly recommend!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed May 5, 2019

Having enjoyed a great lunch at Comptoir Gascon back in December, we asked our London friends to have dinner with us there upon our recent visit to London. We were not disappointed as the reasonably priced food (the cassoulet was terrific, and a perfect sized portion) and the service friendly and attentive. We are already looking forward to going back the next time we are in London.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed January 31, 2019

Venue is quite lovely - dimly lit, exposed brick walls, bistro style.
Food was disappointing - especially the Duck Magret and the Moules Marinieres - both of which lacked any flavour. We did raise this with the lovely Italian lady who was one of our servers.
The male server was sullen throughout the evening and he got worse at the end. He was busy chatting with his colleagues/friends at the bar so we had to try and get his attention to bring the bill. When the bill came, we queried it and asked for the duck to be removed - seeing as that was really really poor, and had already been raised with his colleague. He then just lost it, saying that he was 'just a waiter' and we couldn't just start asking him to remove things from the bill. I explained that this had already been raised, was a poor dish and we would therefore not be paying for it. He then shouted at me telling me I was 'barred' from the restaurant and he was calling the police because I refused to pay. AGAIN I explained earlier situation, and said it was only the duck we weren't paying for and by all means call the police. Off he went to make a call, returned saying we could have the duck removed from the bill but I was still barred. I asked for his name - he refused to give it to me saying 'my name is none of your business, it is my name' (I later saw on the receipt that it was Robert). I asked to speak to the Italian lady, but she had left 10mins previously (as she had been there since 7am - why I needed to be told this I have no idea). I asked to speak to a manager and was told he was the only one there.
End result was that part of the bill was paid, but he continued to tell us that we were barred. Ironic as there is no way any of us would return to that establishment.
I am beyond appalled at this man's behaviour. He should not be in a customer facing job. This is the worst dining experience I have ever encountered. It was meant to be a pleasant birthday dinner but turned into the dinner from hell.

Date of visit: January 2019
GC R, Manager at Comptoir Gascon, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Please accept our apologies for this unfortunate incident. Unfortunately, this particular waiter was not up to our standard of service and should not have ben left on his own to deal with your request. We should have ended his probationary period sooner but don't like to fail so kept on trying to train him up too long. He is no longer a member of our staff. I understand you reluctance to give us another chance but should you wish to do so, I am sure we could demonstrate that this was truly an exceptional incident and deserve our 4+ rating.