“yuum!”

Ranked #357 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: A stylish restaurant near St James's serving modern European food founded on seasonal and local ingredients. Attentive, friendly service creates a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were staying at the St Ermins and on our final day in London decided to do lunch at the Caxton before heading for the train. The ambience is lovely - bright, clean and brasserie style. The waitress was very friendly and helpful and the service was very efficient. We had a lovely pea and ham hock veloute, which was theatrically presented with the waitress pouring the pea veloute over the ham hock and our cheese wafers were beautifully presented with blobs of sauce and little pieces of garlic etc stuck onto them like little jewels. The complimentary foccia bread and tapenade was also a welcome change in London where everything now has a price! Our mains were very substancial. My wife had the lamb and I had pork cooked in the Josper with a maple syrup and onion rings. It was really succulent and presented on a board. The sides are quite expensive at £4 each! but this is London. The spinach was nice with garlic and chilie oil, and the mash was very nice. £4 for baby carrots however was not so good value. The chocolate orange dessert was delightful though but we were too full to eat one each and asked to share, this was no problem to our cheery waitress, the bill was quite expensive, but atleast we didn't leave feeling hungry and everything we ate was very tasty.

There are newer reviews for Caxton Grill

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We ate in here on a night stay at the St Ermins hotel. The food was amazing. We had the crab starter and the duck pate starter to start. Both were amazing. My personal favourite was the duck pate as there was 3 amounts of pate one just normal one coated in ginger and one coated in blackcurrante. Divine!

For mains we had the pork which is cooked in a water bath, I had the violet gnocchi - I cannot explain how good this dish is. I ate it so quickly as it was super tasty and I loved it so much I have already been looking for a recipe. The taste, the look - perfection! We also had a sample of the lamb which tasted great. All the dishes were so great and well worth the money. For dessert we shared the chocolate tart/torte with burnt chocolate orange ice cream. Again so delicious.

We would definitely eat here again, the staff were amazing they really knew their stuff and could recommend their favourite dishes to us as they had clearly eaten them all.

CaxtonGrill, Manager at Caxton Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Madam,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Caxton.

Thank you very much for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Jorge Vera Schmulling
Food & Beverage Director

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nice dining room. Attentive staff. Few customers on a Monday night. Food is fine though not that keen on eating off wood board as food gets cold.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I saw this restaurant on a recent episode of master chef where the contestants had to provide the meals for a busy lunchtime service. One of the dishes was steak with seasoned chips. We decided to try a lunchtime special which was a 6 oz steak, fries and salad with a glass of wine for £16. Fresh garlic bread was served before the meal arrived. The steak was plump and delicious as was the accompanying sauce.
We decided to try a dessert based on the quality of the main course and were not disappointed. My wife had a really interesting chocolate orange dessert with caramel and I had a combination of banana with bread and butter pudding and peanut ice-cream. Sounds unusual but was a very clever combination and was a delight to eat.
The seating and general atmosphere in the restaurant is very good. If we were in London we would certainly go there again. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

What a fantastic menu. We dined with family & all 4 of us thought the food & wine was amazing. Great service & Pre dinner drinks in the hotel lounge. Highly recommended!

1  Thank CatK2000