“Hygiene, watercress and price issues.....disappointed”
Review of Tom's Kitchen

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Transit: Underground: South Kensington, Sloane Square
Description: Tom’s Kitchen Chelsea opened in November 2006 as the informal counterpart to the Michelin starred Tom Aikens Restaurant. Located in a townhouse on the former site of The Blenheim pub, the restaurant serves comfort food favourites in a relaxed and informal environment, from breakfast to dinner, seven days a week. It also offers two rooms for private dining, drinks parties and canapé receptions on its second floor.Tom’s Kitchen is a ten-minute walk from South Kensington or Sloane Square Underground station, located on Cale Street by Chelsea Green.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was desperate for this visit to be a good one and I hate writing a bad review but here are a list of things that need to be improved on.

1 - The booking system online was faulty so I called up and booked. I am also used to being phoned the day before to confirm my booking which didn't happen.

2 - We were early so went up to the bar. The lady serving us drinks had dirt all under her finger nails.

3 - We got sat at our table and our waitresses appearance was really bad. I hate to say things like this but in a customer facing role especially when there is food being served you need to have good personal hygiene and this was certainly not the case. She also had a tongue stud in again for this sort of restaurant I do not think this is acceptable especially when you are charging £25 for a roast dinner....

4 - ....onto the roast dinner. It was £25 and was meant to be roast beef with all the trimmings. We were also informed that we didn't need to order any veg because everything came with it. Now I am spoilt because my Mum's cooking is brilliant and she is particularly good at roast dinners. I feel their chefs need a lesson from her. The potatoes had not been cooked properly and the plethora of veg ended up just being carrots! So for £25 you get a Yorkshire pudding (which is fairness was very good), beef (which was also good), carrots and 2 badly cooked potatoes. This was not worth the £25. However if you like watercress you are wining.

5 - Watercress! My goodness I have never seen so much watercress in all my days. On all of our dinners we had a HUGE pile of watercress. Fact - Watercress adds NOTHING to a meal it is just a huge waste. A roast dinner does in no way benefit from Watercress.

Having said all of this the rest of my table seemed to enjoy their food however they did agree on al the above points.

I would also like to point out that although I didn't go in the toilets the smell coming from them was not pleasant and things like that should be addressed.

The bottom line is I would not go back nor recommend it. I was very disappointed.

3  Thank Naki23

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Excellent breakfast selection, I had a lovely full English breakfast, others had porridge, muesli, Egg's Benedict, all of which were high quality, and, not least of all, hot. We went in for the Brunch menu, but found that that menu wasn't available until 12:30. Strange timing from where I am sitting, and a disappointment. Also, the good impression was somewhat tarnished by the state of the toilets. One was OK, but the one I used was dirty and smelly. Found far too often in the UK generally. I would still return in the hope that the toilet cleanliness was an exception.

1  Thank Hobnob13
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Always a safe bet for a weekend brunch. Love the eggs benedict and florentine. Good selection of fresh juices and hot drinks. Been there at least 3 times and will keep coming back

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was looking forward to a meal at Tom's kitchen, especially after seeing him on Comic Relief but I came away disappointed. Booking was easy over the internet and we got a call to confirm the day before. The restaurant is down a side street but easy to find. Welcome was good and staff were reasonably attentive. The tables are tight for space so difficult to have a private conversation but it adds atmosphere. The ambience is a bit like Pizza Express but more squashed, the music is audible only by it's base line. Bread was delicious, as was my wife's cocktail and I had a large (pint?) of meantime which was OK. We were offered water from a jug which was good. Starters were delicious, crab fishcake and smoked mackerel although they cost as much as a main course in some restaurants. Pork belly and the chicken were tasty but there was rather excessive carrot variations with the pork belly. £4 for a blob of spinach and £4 for a few really tasty chips was a bit overpriced. Didn't go for a sweet as I was full up at that point. We ordered two americanos which we couldn't drink, not sure if they were burnt but didn't taste nice. We should have complained. Meal for two cost nearly £100 which was why I felt disappointed as I have had equally good food for half the price in better surroundings. Overall - food was tasty but not special, restaurant was OK but not special. Best bit was going out with my wife. Won't go again.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Before I decided to write this,I looked on the very recent reviews and couldn't understand all the 5 star ratings although most of those ratings were for breakfast. We popped in today - Easter Saturday for lunch.The reason being that we saw Tom Aiken on TV last night winning the first course stage of the competition for the Comic Relief Banquet. I had been to the Kitchen years ago and it was average. I thought lets try it again - Tom will be getting a high profile at the moment because of his many tv appearances this last week - and his restaurants are bound to be good. The vibe is really buzzy when you enter so we thought oh Good! The couple in front of us were offered upstairs to sit. We were not. We were offered seats at the bar - that's a mistake - very limited space - as you are jostled by the waiters squeezing past you. You also see and hear a lot of what the staff are doing and saying which isn't a good thing. The people sitting behind us at the tables were unaware of this banter. The food - we ordered Pollock and chips - dont know why - it was so cold outside and we felt like it for a change. It arrived served on a wooden board with a boring packet small leaves salad - who wants salad with fish and chips? I cut immediately into the battered Pollock - fish not cooked - sent it back. Apologies from all etc - waited another 15 minutes to get it back. This time it was cooked. But the batter was huge - far too thick and too much of it - we left most of it as it was extra and had not covered the fish. The chips were good - served in a metal pot with a separate small dish of tartare sauce. The whole dish was less than average - much worse than our local Chippy in Battersea!! The whole impression sitting at that bar was one of a messy, tatty kitchen, - chefs with uniforms that looked tacky too - the whites were grey! I think they would be better not to seat people at the bar as it is a crowded space and you see stuff you shouldn't actually see. The place is not well arranged and there are dirty dishes and glasses around and lots of washing up taking place.I asked one of the staff how often Tom Aikens popped in - she said about once a week. Considering he is accross the road at his restaurant I am surprised he doesn't visit every day - he certainly should have been there today. The young man next to us sent his sausages and mash back too as his sausages were undercooked. It was an underwhelming experience - the pollock and chips were £17 a dish - far too overpriced even for well sourced fish. This is another example of a London chef who is resting on his laurels. The staff were sorry and they took the price of the food off the bill without being asked. They must have been embarrassed. Come on guys step up to the plate - its average and you can do better. On leaving my friend went to the "loo". He went to the Gents to find a broken loo seat and the flush didn't work. Its not good enough. As we left and walked down Cale Street one of the waitresses was round the corner having a cigarette and a drink - it doesn't look good.