“Keralan Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Whether you are a fan of the ever-popular Rasa chain or just love authentic Keralan food, you should definitely pay a visit to Rasa Maricham. Tucked away inside a Holiday Inn, you might be surprised to find this little gem just a stones throw from Kings Cross station. The restaurant specialises in dishes from Kerala, the South Indian state sandwiched between the Western Ghat mountains and the Arabian ocean. The menu here is varied and has won numerous recognitions and awards for them. Zagat gives 24 out of 30 for Food and says" Serving “authentic, unusual” Keralan food at “outstanding-value” prices".
London
“Keralan Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Who would have thought that tucked away in the King's Cross Holiday Inn was such a wonderful find. The food hails from Kerala and is a far cry from your usual Indian restaurant, a taste that I am more used to. I have now eaten here four or five times, having worked late around the corner, and rate it as one of the best Indian restaurants I have experienced. The menu is small but that's a good thing from what I have seen as the flavours are distinctive and delicious, and the Keralan house speciality chicken curry is superb (I can't spell it but it's something like Varuthatha...). From the authentic snacks, to the starters, of which I have tasted most (potato balls are best yet - Mysore Bonda) to the delicious curries which really are different and should be tried! If you have room (and you probably wont) try a banana Dosa or fresh tasting mango sorbet to finish off your meal. Don't let the fact that it is nestled under a Holiday Inn put you off as the staff are attentive and friendly and guided me through the menu first time around as I had not seen many of the dishes before.

I would thoroughly recommend Rasa Maricham if you want a quality curry in a nice environment that differs from the standard curry flavour that you will know from your high street curry houses. Price-wise its comparable to many of the Indian restaurants I've visited over the last year or two, but as the food is so good, this makes it great value in my book. It's a fantastic restaurant serving delicious food and makes working late worthwhile, I've even started to find excuses to work late! Enjoy, I know you will!

• Visited February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sussex England
“a lot of recent reviews with a small number of reviews. Here is my lowdown”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We visited because we were staying in the Holiday Inn where this is located and based our visit on the reviews to date. The restaurant has an outside entrance which makes it seem Indian style, but it is also approached from within the hotel. Not surprising when it is located in what was clearly the hotel dining room for the large hotel. The hotel probably found it difficult to fill except for breakfast and have decamped their restaurant off the corridor nearby. That restaurant was near deserted when we visited. Rasa Maricham was busier but the diners were widely spaced in the space available. Only the entrance has an Indian feel but two wooden elephants does not hide or theme the huge area which still has a empty large central buffet area (think large hotel buffet area). We had a table for two of us seating four which gave ample space but overall, because its origins were obvious, it all looked misplaced and lacked authenticity.

Slightly curiously there was a large table of a dozen or more and they had a buffet served in a slightly lonely kind of way on the even larger buffet area. So it seemed like two things going on with some having a mini buffet ad others eating off menu. I know it probably suited everyone's convenience to do it that way but it still seemed incongruous.

The staff were very friendly and we were served promptly but our waiter dressed very informally with the look of someone being called in on a day off (slacks and plain blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up). The meal was served on plain white china with the courses in a dish that you might have cornflakes in -plain white lipped pudding bowl. All of this, together with standard hotel dining room lighting, added to the lack of real occasion.

The food was pretty good but the very wordy menu seemed to offer something even more special than what was on offer.

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Keralan food at the best..”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a wonderful opportunity to visit this restaurant along with friends and family during thier stay at the Holiday Inn. Infact went to eat 3 times in 6 days.

Very tasty keralan dishes blew our minds off especially when some of the members of the group hail from Kerala, a southern state of India, wonderfully tagged god's own country- even more surprising to see the tag line popping out in prime time SKY news!!

Had a lovely king fish curry and prawn masala custom made to our taste with a generous helping of side dishes, variety of rices, malabar parathas and thier signature dish- mango pulissery, delicious curd based curry with little tempering and copiuos amount of ripe mangoes- strange combination but mouthwatering..oops forgot the traditional chicken curry which went a treat for the gang.

This coulds,t have been a more all round experience had it not been with the utter professionalism, warm and attentive service from the 2 gents who were managing the place. As I'm told, they were from Kerala as well and added a greater dinemension to the pairing of food and service!! Truly great.

The only let down was a lack of decor which had no appeal nor any significance to the wonderful theme of food and hospitality. Annoyingly the breakfast was served in the same place after a make shift arrangement.

We just had afabulous time savouring the wonderful conversations with the maanger who was non stop and non exhaustive in promoting Kerala as a brand according to his words. We have already started looking into familyuvacation to the so called 'god's own country' to experience the bold flavours and hospitality. can't wait to go back for a mouthwatering meal... we will be back

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, excellent service,homely atmosphere!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently visited this place along with my friends..Let me get straight to the food...We had a three course meal there,which includes chicken samosa, stir fried prawn and one lamb starter..Followed by king fish dish,lamb fry,spinach and lentil curry..woww.. What to say.. I never tried anything like this before in my life.. Food is so authentic and yummy yummy.. The service was outstanding ..it's worth visiting there.. Will definitely be going back soon!!

1 Thank Joemat045
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Evereything was absolutely fantastic! The food, the staff and the environment. This was my first time at a keralan restaurant and I am definately going back again when I go to London.

• Visited January 2013