“Bad service and only average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Greek Affair

Greek Affair
Ranked #12,166 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Kensington and Hyde Park
London, United Kingdom
“Bad service and only average food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went here for lunch with the hubby and had booked for 12 p.m. Turned up at the restaurant and were surprised that chairs were still on tables, produce was sat in bags on the floor of the restaurant. Waiter said they were meant to be opening in one minute, but could we give them 10? We left, a little annoyed as we had booked for that time as we had to be somewhere else afterwards. Went for a drink at a nearby pub and ended going back at 12.20 p.m. We stood in the restaurant for a while before anyone came to see us, but eventually they did and said that although they still weren't ready (!), we could sit down and wait. No indication of where they would like us to sit or any options, we were just left on our own in there as they went back to the kitchen. After a while someone came back and handed me both menus - not one to each of us, but both of them to me - they seemed to want me to do their job for them! I ordered the meatballs with herbs to start, and hubby ordered calamari. Calamari had no taste whatsoever, and definitely needed the lemon that came with it to give it something. Meatballs were incredibly dry, which is a shame as they had a pleasant Greek herb taste. Waiter came between the courses and handed me clean cutlery for us both, again, seemingly wanting me to do his job for them. For the main I ordered lamb in tomato sauce and hubby ordered the Kleftiko. Lamb was okay although overcooked and dry on the edges and they'd sprinkled a strong cheese on top without asking me, and I can't eat cheese and it wasn't mentioned on the menu. Hubby said that the potatoes that came with his dish were definitely not Greek potatoes as he was told they would be, but normal roast potatoes instead, but he did really like them. He said there was no real juices with his dish as he has had when ordering this dish abroad, and the flavours were a little too simple (not the right mix of herbs to make this really Greek), but again he enjoyed it. While we were eating the waiter cleaning some of the windows on the inside, which seemed the wrong time to be doing it, and even worse, started sweeping the entire floor of the restaurant, including under our table and feet! At one point, instead of asking, he tapped my hubby on his legs with the brush as a symbol he wanted him to lift his feet up so he could sweep under them - we were astounded! So basically, food was mixed and service was terrible. We won't be returning.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank august01

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
“Greek food at last !”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spend Sunday night at Greek Affair Restaurant with my wife and our 8 years old son and we did not regret it.

Greeks we are known to be difficult customers, especially on food, but this time we were happy to see that there are still Greek Restaurants in London serving real Greek food. Fresh bread (the famous Greek "karveli") instead of the touristic arabic pita bread, fresh spinach pie and roasted lamp with potates were served. The Greek salad is a must, with feta cheese and plenty of tomates (not the touristic 80% lettuce crap). Even the "halva" desert was the one we usually make at home (the soft one) and not the hard one they sell at the super markets.

We were also lucky to sit at the open-air terrace. If you visit the place, call in advance to book a table to the terrace. You feel like being into a Greek island.

Despite the fact that the place was full, service was efficient and the toilets clean.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Alex D
Edinburgh
“Tasty Greek Food”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went there for a meal last Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it, the food is very tasty and there is a great selection of dishes. The restaurants is quite small and you're very close to your neighbouring table but this makes for quite a good atmosphere inside

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Gil293
Geneva
“Good Greek food”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a tavern style, traditional Greek restaurant. You won't find any culinary innovations, or an interesting decoration, but the food is very good. We had tyropitakia (pieces of cheese pie), houmous, Greek salad (the portion is quite small), traditional sausage and kleftiko (lamb), which was delicious.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Elsa24_12
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Meal”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My Greek fiance and I ate at this restaurant last Saturday.
It was a very enjoyable experience, lovely atmosphere and really tasty food. I really liked the
spanakopita (spinach pie) and the lamb which tastes just like a taverna in Greece.
What I liked most about the Greek Affair was the enormous choice in the menu both meze which is like tapas and for the main courses.
The staff even gave me a special slice of cake for my Birthday so I will be going there again!

• Visited April 2013