“very expensive but good”
Review of Clos Maggiore

Clos Maggiore
Reserve with OpenTable
Clos Maggiore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Bedford Street
Transit: Underground: Covent Garden, Charing Cross, Leicester Square
Description: If romance is in the cards, London's most romantic restaurant is Covent Garden's multi award-winning Clos Maggiore. Echoing the charming country inns of Provence and Tuscany, the warmly muted decor, low lighting and welcoming log fire were clearly designed with love in mind. The skylight is surrounded with twining, flower-starred branches to resemble an Italianate courtyard, a delightful faux-rural treat in the city centre. Seasonally inspired classic French cuisine coupled with impeccable service is the order of the day at Clos Maggiore restaurant, with a focus on chic presentation and bold flavours. The range of menus include a six-course "tasting menu" featuring such dishes as "Seared Wild Scallops, Ratte Potato & Winter Truffle" and "Pan Roasted Fillet of Cornish Cod, Olive Oil & Basil Pomme Puree". In addition Clos Maggiore serves a reasonably priced, regularly changing set lunch and pre-theatre menus. To find the perfect complement Clos Maggiore's extensive cellar includes over 2500 labels and was extended earlier this year to include an additional 400 wines at a low - mid price range. They have recently been awarded the "The Grand Wine Award 2014" by the Wine Spectator - one of only 70 restaurants worldwide to receive this accolade. Clos Maggiore has been voted in the "Top Ten" categories for "Best French Restaurants", "Best Ambiance" and "Special Occasion Restaurants" by opentable. Toptable lists Clos Maggiore as one of the most highly rated dining venues in London and Square Meal lists Clos Maggiore as one of the best restaurants with Private Rooms.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

had a kind of business dinner here a few weeks ago but unfortunately couldn't sit in the lovely patio since there were 6 of us and thy can't accomodate parties larger than 4. i guess it does keep it more romatic out there without a large group. anyway, service was good as was dinner and wine, just very expensive, probably the mos expensive dinner on our trip of 3 weeks (but not the best by far).

very nice starters, one of our group had a cauliflower curry thing that she loved, i had a burrata tomato salad but can't remember what every one else ordered. most in our group ordered the baked hake fish dish which was very good. i had the pappardelle with mushrooms which was also good. again, it was just very expensive. wine were the bulk of the expense. had a few lower priced bottles (under 60) then jumped to way over 100 GBP. 6 starters, 6 entries, 3 bottles of wine and 2 desserts....over 800 GBP. we did have a very nice evening, location was great for an after dinner pint and a local pub.

1  Thank ob23
Write a ReviewReviews (3,298)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner had taken me here for our anniversary and I was amazed throughout. We visited over the weekend 31/08 - 01/09 and I did not know the location as I had never come across it in Covent Garden. Being that it is my anniversary I am a bit of a fussy romantic I can safely say Clos Maggiore won it for me. The decor inside is very classy but especially the conservatory which is covered in beautiful flowers on the walls to homemade ceiling. They have a fireplace which would have set the atmosphere even better however I did arrive during the day so it was off. My partner and I were seated by the flowers in the corner and were greeted by very friendly staff. We were given our menu which was the fixed menu with bottle of wine. Once we had ordered our food (starter, main and desert) we were given our glasses of water and wine, these got topped up very often even if i had only had one sip. The music and decor really makes you relaxed and calm which is what you need when celebrating a romantic occassion. Our starters were beautifully presented and tasted lovely too. Throughout our meal we were constantly topped up with wine and 3 bread choices (I did propably eat too much bread as it tasted lovely I would recommend the cheese bread option). Our mains were presented beautifully again and tasted great. For me I like my portions so knowing that it is fine dining I expected very small portions. I had the gnocci choice for my main and can safely say I was full half way through. Our desert was a choice of ice creams and sorbets, I personally liked my partners sorbets so would recommend that option. Finally I was suprised with a small selection of desert peices on a plate that spelt our 'Happy Anniversary' in chocolate sauce which was very kind and thoughtful of them.

Overall my experience of this resturant was outstanding from the service to the food. The pricing was a bit high for me but other than that I cannot complain.

Also the female toilets decor is amazing, gave off a ventian periodic vibe.

Go and find the hidden gem in Covent Garden.

2  Thank Grace1892
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My reservation was handled expertly with phone follow up to confirm. I scored a corner table in the conservatory, which feels like you are dining in a garden with overhanging vines, even though it's all inside. A mirrored wall makes the venue seem larger than it is. Attentive, professional & friendly service. Great selection of top quality, fresh breads. Good selection of wines by the glass. I started with a very fresh mixed green salad perfectly dressed. It was pretty big--2 could share. I asked for a break between courses & they were very careful to satisfy me. My main was duck--which was served sliced & perfectly cooked. VERY fresh & tasty--best duck in a long time. The au jus was just perfect. Crispy thick French fries--a bit oversalted. A very memorable meal.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My partner took me to Clos Maggiore for my birthday. We had a table in the conversatory it was beautiful. The food was fantastic and they presented me with my desert which had happy birthday written on the plate. The staff were and service were faultless and made by birthday that extra bit special.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who has a special occassion to celebrate. We will be certainly be going back.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Went there for my b-day and tge food was perfect! I asked for pasta with fresh black truffle and was perfect.
They slfo prepare a nice dessert with a candle.
Wine list also worth the visit.