“Go to Royal China Canary Wharf River Side Instead”

Royal China - Baker Street
Ranked #6,155 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Though I have been a regular at the Canary Wharf RC for years I had never visited the branch at Baker Street until last night and I am afraid I won't be returning to RC Baker Street ever again.

With a party of seven people plus 2 babies they put us on a table normally sits four - the restaurant wasn't even full! The service was so slow that we waited 45 minutes before anything arrived at the table, and only one dish at a time. We ordered rice for all adults and only one bowl arrived at a time which worked out to be a spoonful per person. I asked for a bigger bowl or a couple of bowls but they refused saying we will put more in the bowl when we've finished so they ended up dishing out all the rice and run back to the kitchen a couple of times before we all had a share of some rice each round! Honestly, we either had rice on the table with no food or one dish on the table going cold while waiting for the rice!

Food was ok but serving one dish at a time completely ruined the food - i don't know what they would have done if there were more dishes at the same time as the table could bearly fit all the crockery for seven! The whole painful experience lasted for 2.5 hours.. we even wrote down comments to express our dissatisfaction - they couldn't care less.

Go to the one in Canary Wharf river side.. food is much better and you always get great service

Reviewed July 14, 2010

This branch of the Royal China seemed to have deteriorated . The Dim Sum is still good but the Chinese dishes are only just acceptable. I went to the branch in Bayswater the day before where the same dishes were cooked much better. The staff seemed to be a little inexperienced and we were not even offered the usual tea and plates of peanuts and salted mustard after 10 minutes of being seated.
Very disappointing as this used to be my favourite Chinese restaurant due to ease of finding a parking space and its proximity to the shops.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Excellent food, adequate service. Very busy restaurant with long queues! Staff not friendly. Rather pricey! but would come back again

Reviewed March 20, 2010

A great shame, but this place has completely disintegrated. We had t send food back and refused to pay for some of the dishes. It's now third-rate and trading on reputation . The waiters seem to know what's happening and lack morale.

Reviewed September 25, 2009

I really like Royal China. It has the feel of a genuine Hong Kong dim sum restaurant, the food is good, and it is not bad value (in spite of some of the negative reviews I've read here).

I have 1 big watch-out....service is included at 12.5%, which is fine, BUT...when you give them your card, they first hand you a slip to fill in service and total, in effect making you believe that you have not yet paid service. Of course, they have taken the bill at this point, so you have no way of checking without asking thm. I am sure most people don't realise and end up paying twice for service. I've asked them why they do this but they just shrug. BE WARNED!