“Computer says "No" !”

Neighborhood: Marylebone
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Computer says "No" !”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We ordered 7 steam baskets of dim sum when the waitress heard me say to my friends we can order more later, then it will be hot. She interrupted that this was not possible as the whole order had to be put into the computer ????

Expensive tasty food with good ambience when restaurant is full but expect little assistance after ordering and food is pretty much slapped on the table. Optional but compulsory service charge????

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank tukane

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Mixed review........”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We got a table on a Saturday night with no reservation, the restaurant was very busy and you felt a bit crowded as there wasn't any room between the tables. Our order for drinks was taken quickly, served quickly then our meal order was taken with some help from our waiter who was polite. Our food was served quickly and the starters were very hot but there was a short delay between my husbands main course and the rest of the main meal being served. They do kind of slap it down in front of you! Your only option is to eat with chop sticks but I'm sure they would have given us cutlery if asked. In my opinion it is a bit over priced but then we were on Baker Street in London. Having holidayed in Thailand I have high expectations of Asian food and I'm sad to say although my meal was good it wasn't that good. My husbands was completely tasteless but he didn't dare complain for fear of upsetting me at the time :-0 The service charge is a complete joke aswell, 13.5%?! My husband would be the first person to tell you I ALWAYS tip anyone who provides us good service regardless of the food as they didn't cook it but putting 13.5% on your bill for you is just insulting and I really hope the waiter actually got some of it! Definitely wouldn't go back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mswin82
Slough, United Kingdom
“The best Chinese I have ever eaten”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

First a disclaimer: I was taken here as part of a party of 8 for a 10 course banquet, the host knows the restaurant manager, we had a private room, everything was taken care of, I didn't see the menu and cannot comment on prices other than to guess that they are substantial.

This is part of the same chain as the, apparently more expensive, Royal China Club, in the same road, which apparently serves exactly the same food.

Although not an expert on Chinese cuisine, I am no stranger either, and could not fault the food. The presentation of which was outstanding, see attached photos. Particularly recommended is the pigeon.

• Visited September 2013
“NEVER AGAIN!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently visited this restaurant for my birthday back in May, although the service wasn't great the food was spectacular. So I recommended it to my cousin. We visited here again and to my disgust the service was horrible as well as the food. Staff failed to take our order for drinks in adequate timing. We confronted on the staff members about service charge & his response was "it is not compulsory but we do expect you to pay it". We were then asked to pay for our meals BEFORE we got it and got into a dispute with the manager to which he then said if we refused to pay the service charge (which is discretionary) we must leave the restaurant. We then asked him if everyone in the restaurant were paying and he said NO!! So why we're we singled out & hassles about it?

Not only this but he also failed to apologise for the rudeness of his staff after he to us that "this not a takeaway shop, it is a restaurant and we expect you to pay service charge".

On top of that the food took half an hour to arrive! If this is what they call a good service they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank VanessaBerchie
London, United Kingdom
“Reliably good chinese”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This restauran is now part of a chain. The Dim Sum at weekends has an inevitable queu.
The food is always good though service can be slow. Their was a branch in Finchley Road hich had supoerior dim Sum but adly despite is succs trouble with the lease caused closure. If you want to go further upmarkt go to the almost adjacen China Club.

• Visited July 2013