“Not great”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The unpretentious Covent Garden Grill serves its crowd of regulars and tourists a great range of steaks and other cuts, chargrilled to order from an inventive menu. Diners loll on the comfy sofas with friends, or hide away in one of the restaurant's private booths for a romantic rendezvous or a business get-together. There's a theatre menu for playgoers, and prices are surprisingly reasonable for the heart of the West End.
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife stopped here for dinner whilst in the area. The table was downstairs and I think they had a lift system for the drinks as every 2 minutes a doorbell sound would go off and the waiter would come out with drinks. This noise got a bit annoying. My wife ordered the chicken only to be presented with a whole fish on her plate. The waiter then reluctantly took it back after trying to persuade her to have the fish. I had to ask him to take mine away as call me old fashioned but I wanted to eat at the same time as my wife. When the food did come back in all fairness it was very good even though I'm sure mine was sitting under a hot light while my wife's was cooking. We didn't stay for dessert and was a little shocked to see on the bill that dispute the mistake we were still charged for the service charge.

2  Thank Dawfydd
There are newer reviews for Covent Garden Grill

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had dinner vouchers included in our theatre package. This is the first time at the grill and I'm sure it won't be the last. Easy to book a table, efficient, courteous service and the food was scrummy. Hefty bill for drinks and an extra starter and sweet, but it is Covent Garden. No problem with the £8 supplement for the steaks, but we paid £1.50 supplement for the chocolate cake and an extra £1.50 for 1 scoop of ice cream instead of cream. Bit niggly I know, but it all adds up. My husband had tap water, which they were fine about. All in all a lovely experience and they definitely know how to treat their clientele. Well done, but please watch the charges.

1  Thank Michelle H
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Covent Garden Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

We provide a great deal with the theatre package, but a deal is a deal, and if people want to vary that then I am afraid that we have to charge, but overall people are getting excellent value for money, as they seem to have realised. However, it is all spelled out in advance so nothing should come as a surprise, neither should any of the drinks. We are delighted that they will be coming back.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Paid a visit during a short break, empty when arriving, 2 courses ordered, pate' to start a lot of it but little toast, But the waiter did ask if we wanted more, when toast had gone, nice touch, main was steak, not bad, quite tasty seasoned well, pre show guests started arriving which gave it more atmosphere, nice large clean toilets, restaurant worth a visit.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Not the first time there and loved it again. Very smart courteous service. Enjoyed our food a lot. My dessert was different from what I ordered, but I happily ate what was delivered,no complaints at all, enjoyed that error! :)
A highly recommended romantic place right across from Covent Garden, 5 minute walk to Royal Opera House.

1  Thank Tatiana C
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I would just like to say this is the 2nd time in 2 months that we have been here ,on both times the service and food spot on . Both the front of house staff and manger was friendly and polite and when the other person with me had run out of bread Some more was given for free .this is for the owner i did miss my balloons and party pops lol , but would like to say thanks to the owner and the whole team for a great night and will be back very soon .

1  Thank jay651