“Lovely food, great staff!!”
Review of Covent Garden Grill - CLOSED

Covent Garden Grill
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The unpretentious Covent Garden Grill serves its crowd of regulars and tourists a great range of steaks and other cuts, chargrilled to order from an inventive menu. Diners loll on the comfy sofas with friends, or hide away in one of the restaurant's private booths for a romantic rendezvous or a business get-together. There's a theatre menu for playgoers, and prices are surprisingly reasonable for the heart of the West End.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I visited this restaurant before going to see a theatre production with my partner, my sister and her partner. Firstly we was greeted with a smile and professional looking man who checked our reservation and sat us down and made sure we were ok and comfortable with where we was seated. The snacks before starters, the starters and our mains were all lovely and the waiting staff were very friendly and never let us have an empty glass which we appreciated. I would recommend this restaurant to any friends and family who are visiting London and think it was excellent value for money!

1  Thank mattw2285

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My partner and I had been given pre-theatre meal vouchers for a few restaurants, so we went with CGG. The restaurant itself is cosy and modern, we were given a decent booth. I ordered the chicken pate, and my partner the black pudding stack. His starter turned up alone... Odd? We waited a few minutes for mine, at which point he asked the waitress where my starter was. She was apologetic and a couple of minutes later mine turned up. My pate had clearly still been defrosting as the little bowl was freezing cold, as was the pate itself... To the point where I could hardly taste any flavour. My partner's black pudding was apparently not too bad, but he agreed that my pate should have been closer to room temperature.

We both ordered fish and chips for the main. As the waiter turned up with both dishes he managed to spill some of my food on the floor. He was apologetic and returned a couple of minutes later with a whole portion of chips to add. The chips were not great... Clearly of the frozen bag variety. The fish though was actually really nice... Good batter, and seasoning!

While we kinda were ready to leave we did go ahead and order desserts. I went with homemade choc ice-cream, and my partner the panna cotta. My ice cream tasted VERY grainy/powdery. Not sure if that's normal for homemade ice cream? My tongue felt coated in the odd substance. My partner enjoyed his dessert though, it did have a nice vanilla flavour to it.

We finally ordered lattes... Not sure what coffee they are using but it was really milky. Almost like it had half a shot of espresso in it. Oh well! We didn't try any cocktails, but my beady cocktail-eye could see they had a decent bartender on... Watching him, he looked like he knew what he was doing and the cocktail prices are not bad. Sadly we didn't want to stick around any longer.

I almost feel bad posting this as we had vouchers for this meal, but it also shouldn't make a difference. We may have caught them on an off day as I can see other reviewers enjoyed it. However we do eat out a lot in London and it's quite rare for me to say that I won't recommend a place... Unfortunately I can't recommend CCG.

3  Thank SabinaB1979
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Covent Garden Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

I have to correct a few points that she has made; we would be prosecuted and closed down by the Environmental Health Officer if we did not keep the chicken liver pate in the fridge at the correct temperature that he insists on; it is never frozen so it was not defrosting. I have apologised for the starters not coming out together. The chips are not of the frozen variety, but fresh, and we serve the chunky chips with the fish as that seems the most appropriate choice. As regards the lattes, I thought that they were supposed to be milky, and we take great pride in the fact that we make our coffees from beans that we grind ourselves. We have tried the homemade chocolate ice cream since she was there and it was perfect, we are sorry if she had some that had possibly been in the freezer for slightly too long, but we sell less of it during cold spells and we had closed on Christmas Day.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

After seeing all the very good comments about this restaurant on Tripadvisor, we were disappointed with the value of the main dishes (steak burger & steak and frites). In my local Wetherspoon pub I pay £6 for gourmet hamburger and it has much better taste. Also the frites were not good, McDonalds serves better in my opinion. Steak was just chewy.

Starters and dessert were okay, and service was good as well. If you could improve the quality of main dishes, we would be happy to visit again. Thank you.

lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Covent Garden Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I am somewhat disappointed by this review and feel that she is not being fair on us, she has accused us of using frozen chips, which they aren't, but they could have ordered chunky chips instead of fries anyway. We make our own burgers from minced rump steak with a little onion, parsley and seasoning, I can't believe that Wetherspoons do. Her companion ordered a minute steak, which is a beaten out rump steak. As they enjoyed the rest of their meal and the service, I am surprised that they have only given us two stars.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked a table through the online booking service at 10pm on Thursday night, mentioning that the booking included 3 adults and 3 children, 1 of which was celebrating her 7th birthday. When we arrived at 12pm on Friday, the table was decorated with balloons - a really sweet touch at such short notice. Thanks for the effort!
Very nice food, I can recommend the grilled chicken and couscous and my 7 year old son complimented the waiter on his burger "burger heaven" he called it.
Would highly recommend as a family friendly restaurant. We went pre-theatre for lunch and will definitely return.
A good find :-)

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

What a warm welcome. Very child friendly and delicious food. Would def visit again. There could be a little more choice on the menu for children but overall very nice amd good quality food.