“Food good - Pricey but to be expected for the location”
Review of Covent Garden Grill - CLOSED

Covent Garden Grill
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The unpretentious Covent Garden Grill serves its crowd of regulars and tourists a great range of steaks and other cuts, chargrilled to order from an inventive menu. Diners loll on the comfy sofas with friends, or hide away in one of the restaurant's private booths for a romantic rendezvous or a business get-together. There's a theatre menu for playgoers, and prices are surprisingly reasonable for the heart of the West End.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My fiance and I ate here on Sunday 17 February. We had a ceasar salad and a burger. It was not cheap but the food was good. A nice salad with plenty of chicken and the anchovies on the side as requested. The burger was delicious but having added an extra topping or two, it was £18 for the burger which I think is a little steep.

The staff were friendly and deserving of the 12.5% tip they added to the bill - still I prefer to make the choice on service myself.

It is very close to Covent Garden and we did have a lovely meal. It lacks a little atmosphere and tries to make up for that with music which is a little loud. Having music that loud is ok, but most of the music from the 1990s is forgettable and so perhaps a different CD would be better.

There are newer reviews for Covent Garden Grill

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Came upon this place with my girlfriend wandering about after arriving in London. Nice little place, food was very good for the price, and the waiting staff were helpful and friendly. They did automatically apply a 12.5% service charge to our bill without asking, even though it was just the two of us, but we didn't really mind as it was nice food and service, and would have left a tip anyway.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Ate here 18th Feb on the National rail 2 for 1 offer .Had 2 starters, 4 mains , 2 puddings and beers and soft drinks .The place was reasonably busy for a Monday night and we were given a table downstairs ( we had booked in advance ).The atmosphere went dead though as we progressed through our meal .Didn't think it had any ambience or buzz about it at all.The food was average .Burger and Sea bream ok but the duck was mean't to be medium but overcooked and tough.The bill was £84 inc service charge so for London was ok for the price but bear in mind it should have been £116 at full price and wouldn't have been happy paying that for the standard of food .We ate in Covent Garden 3 nights on our break, Browns Pasta bill £130 and the superb Maxwells £106 .This place definitely 3rd of the 3 .

2  Thank pinkisback
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Me and my partner went for valentines day and pivked the valentines menu which had a great choice for the 5 course meal. Previous to this i rang up to make a reservation on which i was told 9 o clock was ok as they could squeeze me in. When we arrived the restaurant was quiet, we were taken down stairs to our table. There was a maximum of 6 couples with ample space for more so i wondered why they had told me that they would be able to squeeze me in. We sat down and the waiter introduced himself and bought over our cava. We then ordered for the menu and ordered a drink each. We were only waiting a matter of 10 minutes for our starter but this arrived before our drinks we then asked our waiter to which his reply was the bar staff must be on a break.( since when does a restaurant have bar staff both on a break) .the waiter then went and did our drinks. Plates were cleared away and then our sorbet came out. We were only given matter of a few minutes between the courses. It felt like we were being rushed to eat and finish our meal. As soon as we put our cuttlery down the waiter was hovering to take them away. This i did not enjoy it would have been nice to chill and make the most of our evening. I first thought thry might be rushing us through to make room for others but at the time of us finishing there was just me and my partner and 2 other couples there. Food was amazing and i couldnt fault that. But we then recieved the bill which had a 12.5 percent service charge. I prefer to tip on the way we had recieved our service.

3  Thank honestsarah
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Covent Garden Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

I am sorry that they felt rushed through their meal, and can assure them that was not the case. We did have a lot of bookings for Valentine's, which is why we couldn't fit them in before 9 pm, however, four tables of two failed to honour their reservations, which is why there were empty tables. The service charge is optional, and is clearly described as such on the menu and on the bill.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Before I even mention the food let me stress how this is the BEST service I have ever had in a restaurant. Our waitress Jackie was exceptional: attentive but not over-bearing, uber friendly, recommended dishes and wine, made us feel completely at home. If anyone needs to train up staff on how to deal with customers, send them here! Regards food we went for the £14 2 course menu which had some really good dishes on offer. The steak (£7 surcharge) was very good and the halloumi kebabs were yummy too. Oh, and the cocktails are very good and well priced. We will definitely be back! Thanks for a lovely evening Covent Garden Grill!

1  Thank Cypher B