“Brilliant!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Loved this independent, non-pretentious restaurant in Herne Hill! Have been here for coffee during the day and loved the atmosphere so I was keen to try the main meals in the evening. It's gorgeously quirky inside, with pop art canvases for sale on the walls and sheet music on the walls instead of wallpaper. They even brought the bill in a Northern Soul inspired menu holder - brilliant! Food was good, kind of bistro style, with lots of starters, sharing options and also a specials board and a burger menu. I thought it was a little strange not to have a beef burger on the menu (they had lamb, fish or veggie burger) but I had the Caribbean fish burger and it was so good I'll be ordering that next time.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Provencal

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with a caveat that I have only ever eaten here for proper meals so am not commenting on the quality of coffee or cake.

Have visited cafe prov many many times over the past 15 years with my family, we used to call it the 'frog cafe' when we were children.

Food has always been consistently good and fresh, not fine dining but good portions and an interesting selection. The chips are always fantastic and are a meal in itself. Their daily specials give a variety and there's always decent choice if you're not a meat water.

I've also visited for drinks in the bar, which has low seating a decent selection and a laid back vibe.

I've found service good here but I'm never in a rush or stressed out, maybe some people might find it too but this has never been an issue for me.

It's also great to support a local business which has been serving the area so well for long.

Recommended

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went to this cafe the other day - atmosphere is quite nice, menu is small and seems slightly expensive but we decided to order a pot of tea and one piece of cake.
On ordering the pot of tea (which is priced at 2.25 on the menu under 'pot of tea') we were asked if it was for two, yes we said.
When it came to paying they charged us 4.50 for one pot of tea saying they had given us a large pot of tea - at no point did the say a large pot of tea was available, nor did it state it on the menu - we were just charged double.
To top it off for 2.75 we shared a small piece of very ordinary chocolate cake.
All in all, over 7 pounds for 2 herbal tea bags and hot water in a pot (very weak tea) and a small slice of cake is ridiculous.
When we questioned the staff they were simply unhelpful and just kind of shrugged and said 'that's the price'. I left saying they should put on the menu - pot for 2 - 4.50, not just make it up when they feel like it.
Won't be returning, don't recommend.

1  Thank jacksong83
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Really like this place, it's homely, and welcoming.
A nice space set aside during the day for parents and younger children, stocked with toys and books, making it a popular morning hang out for parents and kids.
Never had a bad meal here, and their two courses for £12 that was running for a while always made a great excuse for mid week meal out.
Staff very helpful and accommodating to purple in my party with food allergies....
Recommend highly.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Cafe Provencal has been around for a few years now and always provides a friendly and relaxed atmosphere on this busy corner with Brockwell Park and Herne Hill close by. The cafe is family friendly with baby changing facilities and toys and books available which makes it a popular place for families. Some local artists usually exhibit on the walls and there is an eclectic mix of furniture and retro decoration which all adds to the charm.