“Getting stale”
Review of Gaucho - City

Gaucho - City
Ranked #2,169 of 22,857 Restaurants in London
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: Tube:Bank/Monument
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Calgary, Canada
“Getting stale”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

What can I say after my most recent visit to the Gaucho in the City?

I have been taken here several times over the years by business colleagues, and unfortunately each time it seems to have slipped a little. Initially I was impressed, the food, ambiance and service was different, good and interesting. However over time as the restaurant scene for business has evolved the Gacho doesn’t seem to have kept up. The menu, decor and introductions to the steaks haven’t changed and are getting a little stale.

Lately, I’ve become interested in finding the world’s best burger (to my taste) – so when I saw that they had one made with fresh Argentinean beef I thought I would give it a try. Perhaps my mistake was straying from their specialty as a when it did finally appear it was served cold. It was apparent that it had been completed first and set aside while they prepared the rest of the party’s streaks. I will give them credit when I mentioned this fact they insisted in making a new one for me, however it did end up disrupting the meal a little.

Overall the burger was good, but nowhere close to my top five (so far), and when it did re-appear they neglected to replace the sides. Not a big deal, but with the prices charged it was annoying.

Overall an unmemorable and expensive experience.

Visited October 2013

Flitwick, United Kingdom
“Excellent steak, excellent value”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Gaucho city is a hidden gem, buried down a back street and with no mobile signal made for a peaceful lunch!

Gaucho offer a wide range of steaks in terms of cut and weight. I chose the 400g rib eye and it was fantastic, if not slightly overcooked for me. I ordered medium but would have preferred it a bit rarer than it came. The sides were tasty and the wine was good. The whole experience was great value for money.

Visited August 2013
Kingswood, United Kingdom
“Old School, Great Steak”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have been coming here since 15 years, We have seen the likes, of Hawksmoor, Goodmans etc have come along but this still serves great Steaks, great sides and I have never had a bad meal here. Maybe not for a date as a couple but as Carnivore Central.. its . Brilliant

Windsor
“Really enjoyable”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

First time eating at the Gaucho City as I usually go to the one in Picadilly. You enter down into a basement and it feels like you're entering a dark tunnel. But as you enter, you are greeted and welcomed. As you would expect from Gaucho, the service was excellent and our waitress was very knowledgable and helpful. The decor is the cow hide and mancho. The starters were excellent. I had king prawns in chilli to start. For main I had the 48 hour marindated Sirloin (Churrasco de chorizo) which was a bit disappointing for £40+ as it contained a lot of hard fatty bits. Sides were excellent and the wine was to die for. However, I'm not converted and prefer to go back to the one in Picadilly.

Despite there being so many great steak houses in London, I think Gaucho remains one of the best with Goodmans and Hawkesmoore.

London
“Poor service”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My steak was delicious, my husbands less so as it had some sinew running through it. The chips were rather greasy. The waitress was terrible - really pushed the starters when we only ordered a main course each, sploshed our wine all over our glasses and very rudely took the wine off my husband when we was topping up his glass. If she had been doing her job properly, he wouldn't had needed to.
Might visit Hawksmoor next time I fancy a steak - their staff are awesome