“surprising”

Neighborhood: East End / East London
Stroud, Glos
“surprising”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Not looking great from the outside but recommended so I gave it a try and it was OK - perhaps my expectations were too high! The service was better than promised after the reviews here and being told on arrival (we had booked!) that the chef was in a meeting but the food was on time and adequate but not spectacular. Spring rolls and stir fried prawns - both reminiscent of chinese food - maybe a little less greasy but still quite good. Waiters suggestions were more geared to profit than customer satisfaction but aren't they always?

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Favourite on Mare St, food amazing- just service needs a bit if work”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The stock for the pho is the strongest richest most delicious flavour out of the variety I have tried in London. All the expected accompaniments, very fresh and generous portions which they were happy to box up in a doggy bag for me to take away. The cha gio was perfectly crispy with balanced flavours, unlike other restaurants nearby that overseason them and are soggier and chewier. The Vietnamese iced coffee is the nicest I've had with the most generous yummy layer of condensed milk. I wasn't expecting the honeydew melon milk drink to be more like a bubble tea than a milkshake but it was really good - I normally hate tapioca balls but these were okay. The restaurant itself is in much nicer condition than others on the road, bigger, better decorated, comfortable. Shame there isn't outdoor seating but I'd rather have nicer food than sit on the pavement. Practially the same price as any of the others; about £7 for a dish and the website is much better than competitors. The only annoyance was the service; very friendly but so slow - took a long while to get the drinks and then forever to get the bill.. we had to leave the table and wait at the till for ages before they bothered to take payment. The service in other places isn't amazing either though. Despite that I'd go back for sure and it's my preference compared to the rest around.

• Visited August 2013
London
“Delicious food, efficient service, good value”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We chose to eat here, on a very hot day in July, as I was craving mango salad and Time Out had given it a good review. We were the only people in there as we arrived quite early. Service was not particularly friendly but was polite and efficient.
We ordered mango salad (absolutely fantastic), crispy pancake with chicken and prawns (delicious and super fresh), flat noodles with chicken (lovely flavours and textures) and tofu and aubergine hot pot with minced pork (slightly spicy and also delicious). All dishes came as they were ready, which meant everything was fresh and delicious. We drank smoothies, which were also freshly prepared.
Our bill came to around £37, which was very reasonable for four dishes and drinks. We will definitely be returning in the future

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, wrong order”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Food was brilliant, but everything was delivered out of order! I was in a group of 6 and had my main and starter delivered at the same time, fully 10 minutes before the rest of the food came for my party! My mate ended up getting his 'starter' 15 minutes after we'd finished, just as we were paying the bill! I was left perplexed.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Danny P
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic, tasty and good value for money”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this restaurant a few times and the food is always tasty. Last time we went we had to ask for our coconut rice three times but apart from that I have no complaints.