“Brilliant night out!”

The Bengal Lancer
Ranked #5,119 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Since opening in 1984, we at the Bengal Lancer have prided ourselves on providing our customers with authentic, freshly prepared and beautifully presented food of the highest quality. We continue to serve classic dishes found throughout India alongside our own unique, modern interpretations. While many restaurants claim to serve authentic food, in our case it is absolutely true. Our team carry several decades worth of experience and our long-nurtured skill and passion is apparent in classic dishes such as Rogon Gosht, Chicken Saagwala and even our Saag Aloo, all of which carry a real depth of flavour. Specials such as Chicken Chasnidargh, Liver Hazri and Subjee Begun Pie, are exclusive to the Bengal Lancer, and showcase our ability to experiment with classic flavours and create something truly memorable.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Having been spoilt for choices for a curry in the North West of London I found myself visiting the Bengal Lancer, mainly because I had heard its the best in town! Definitely the best in Kentish Town! The meal was absolutely exquisite and my family and I found ourselves pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere inside the restaurant. Instantly felt comfy and at home, the decor inside gave a real "indian" feeling. A must try! I recommend to all curry lovers!

There are newer reviews for The Bengal Lancer

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Tonight myself, my girlfriend and a friend went to an old favorite and had a pretty enjoyable meal until we saw the bill which was very excessive for the meal we had. The times we have been before we have seen this curryhouse as a very affordable place to eat out, to the most of my amazement was the price of six poppadoms and chutney coming in at a whopping £8.60. The rest menu per curry in the last two months having an increase of £2 and the service charge being 12.5%. Very sad to say that this will definitely be the last time that I will be eating in this establishment.

2  Thank whatspur
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bank holiday Monday found us at The Bengal Lancer in Kentish Town. The original inspiration for Kentishtowncurryclub this was only my second visit of the year as I’ve been cooking so much at home and I was surprised to see that the decor had changed slightly. The modern-art splash paintings have been replaced with old blank and white portraits from India that immediately make the whole restaurant much cosier and more elegant. The service was as effusive and attentive as ever, without being overwhelming, and the curries were all top of their game, featuring fresh spices, natural colourings and a reassuring lack of oily puddles. The menu here boasts plenty of unusual options that you won’t find in other curry houses, including guste kabul (a tangy lamb and chickpea curry) and ghost hydrabadi (a creamy, mustardy leg of lamb). The standout dishes this visit were a lamb pasanda as rich and comforting as a hot bath and a good book, and the goru mangsho (diced beef curry), for it’s brilliant garum masala seasoning. I got chatting with the manager JJ on the way out and he told me that he has plans to publish a cookbook in the pipeline – happy days!

Original review published here: http://kentishtowncurryclub.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/the-bengal-lancer-%E2%80%A2-kentish-town/

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My family and I come here very often, most recently for my daughters birthday dinner. Waiters were extremely friendly gave my 12 yr old a birthday balloon and 20 per cent off our next visit! Result :) Yummy yummy say my kiddies! Thoroughly recommend The Bengal Lancer.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Return of the Bengal lancer.
I will def go back and it's not far from my work. Staff very attentive but not overbearing. I went on a Tuesday and early in the evening. I havent been for a number of years and thought id give it a go with all the other offers in the area
I was the first to bag a seat but customers attended in dribs and drabs. It would appear a number of locals use this venue which is a good sign. The inside doesn't blow your mind. Linear red/black vinyl seats and photos on the wall and some unknown background music. It's no National portrait gallery or Seigfreid and Roy venue but its the food that matters.
I have a bench mark dish that I judge all Indian restaurants that I attend. Unforts it wasn't on the menu but one call to the chef and it appeared. I must say that it was up in the top dishes I have had. Large portion of the dish. Slightly let down by the size of the rice dish. Only slightly I add
Dish was light and filling and tasty without leaving you feeling you need to loosen your belt or buttons.
Freshen up hanky served after dinner
Deserts are the set Indian menu ice creams you see from venue to venue that don't blow the mind.
Venue is open to midnight weekdays and Sunday and 12.30 am on a Saturday.
No doubt a great place to visit after a Camden crawl or a bite after work. I couldn't see any in house offers but I think they do such a good trade they don't need to. 20% discount shown for takeaways.
Good quality and tasty food at a reasonable price.