“Let down by some minor irritations”

Marlin Apartments Queen Street
Ranked #111 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in January 2014 on a business trip to London.

The location is great, the staff were friendly and the apartment was a nice size and generally very clean.

But there were a few minor things that made me give only a three.

For example, the pedal bin pedal rubber was missing and was sharp, the top of the sink plug lever was missing and was sharp and the spare toilet roll was mouldy. Not huge issues, but these are easy to fix things and left me feeling that the apartments get cleaned well but that no one takes care of maintenance issues like this.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Dorin A, Manager at Marlin Apartments Queen Street, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Mr Dominic Murphy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that the location and staff as well as the apartment size and quality met your expectations.

Thank you again for the valued feedback regarding the issues that you found in the apartment. I can assure you that these have been raised to the maintenance and housekeeping department and they were rectified immediately.

I hope we have the chance to accommodate you again at Queen Street so that we have an opportunity to improve your current opinion of our service.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at Marlin Apartments for 5 nights for a business trip in January. Staff were exceptional and went out of their way to help and make us welcome. The tube under is noisy on the bottom floor - but we stayed on floor 5 and it was fine. The rooms were big and comfortable and there was free WIFI (with option to upgrade to premium service). Close to everything, cycle hire out the front. Terrific value for money for inner city apartment. Great stay made all the better by terrific staff. Say hello to Sorina if you go there.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor (5 or 6) to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Ms Jennifer Collings,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Marlin Queen Street and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.

I have passed your lovely comments to the staff and they were very glad to hear your feedback. Also Sorina sent her regards to you.

We look forward to accommodate you again soon at our Queen Street property so we can provide an even higher level of service for your next stay.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Booked the apartment just 5 hours prior to our (surprise) check-in. We arrived at the apartment building at exactly 17:30, just 2 hours after I had proposed to my girlfriend. The very cordial yet slightly weird receptionist handed me all the paperwork I needed to sign and to my great trepidation also notified me that there is a security deposit of 200 pounds (!!!) to be made in addition to what I had already paid (90 quid for one night). This deposit fee wasn't mentioned during booking.
All in all, we had a great time, mainly due to the fact we were heavily intoxicated (which gave us the ability to completely ignore the sound of the tube plowing through every 15 minutes, and the smell of the Domino's pizza just bellow our apartment).
Never the less, the most important thing about these apartments is their location. 5 minutes from anywhere in central London and hop and a skip to the Thames and south-bank.

Room Tip: Buy some ingredients and make you're own supper! keep the curtains closed because there is an o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tomer T

Dear Mr Tomer T,

Thank you very much for your valued custom and for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor, and congratulations on your engagement!

We are glad that you had a great time and that you found us well-situated in the city. Regarding the deposit of £200 which you were asked for upon check-in, we take great care to ensure that it is stated on every website in the terms and condition. The deposit is simply to cover any incidentals which may occur during your stay. In fact, many serviced apartments in London share this policy – but I am sorry if this made your stay unpleasant.

Unfortunately due to our very central location in the city, our guests may experience some mild noise from the underground; however this also affects all buildings in this area and is something very much beyond our control.

If you would like to stay with us again, you can make a note in the special requests field on our website for an apartment located on a higher floor (subject to availability) and we will do our best to honour this.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a month in Dec/Jan for business, and overall, the apartment's location was perfect and staff were friendly and helpful. There are two snags though. Firstly, make sure you have an apartment above the second floor, as you can hear and feel the tube rumbling on lower floors. Secondly, the wifi in the apartment is very slow and the connection itself is poor. I was on a high floor, so perhaps this was why I had wifi issues but considering this is a serviced apartment in central London, this shouldn't be the case. Anyway, staff tried to help but even the premium wifi was not any better so i mostky had to work at night at a coffeee shop or at the office as i could not work at the apartment.

Dorin A, Manager at Marlin Apartments Queen Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear MinokaR,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Marlin Apartments Queen Street on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that the staff was friendly and professional, and thank you for the kind words, I have passed your message to them and they were sending you their regards.

The tube noise unfortunately is way beyond our control, being in the heart of London's Financial District this is the main downside.

With regards to the wi-fi, I am glad to inform you within couple of weeks we are upgrading the service to fibre optic which will improve the service.
I am sorry that this was an impediment in your work.

We look forward to welcome you back at Marlin Queen Street.

Dorin Andrisca,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was a great find ahead of my company Christmas bash. Loads of room in the apartment for the same money as you'd pay for a premier inn or similar. The bathroom could do with a better extractor fan as it got seriously hot after just a quick shower. The downside is the tube running under the building, or very close, and you can really hear it first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: Perhaps the higher up, the less noise?
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Fairweather76,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Marlin Apartments Queen Street.

We pride ourselves to be the Number 1 Service Apartment Provider in London, based on this I agree that the space you get for the money you pay is a great value.

Thank you for your feedback about the apartment, I have investigated the extractor fan problem and indeed we have discovered that a couple of them were not in best condition, but I would like to inform you they have been changed.

Queen Street is in the heart of the Financial District and we are surrounded by 3 tube stations and the closest one is Mansion House, that is where the noise was coming from.
Sadly the noise that the underground generates is very much beyond our direct control, but this does only impact a few of our rooms. Should we have known that this was causing you such a disturbance I would have hoped that my team would have arranged for an alternative room away from this noise. I have now updated your personal profile to ensure that on any future stay you will be allocated away from this noise.

We look forward to accommodate you soon.

Bilding manager

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed on beginning of November and could not fault it.
I have paid in advance for my booking and when I arrived I was asked for £200 security deposit, most of hotels do that... and I was explained that the money will be on hold (imprint) and when I leave the £200 will be released back on my account.
The apartment I had was facing an office building but it did not affected me because I pulled the curtains and was very cosy. Nice layout and decent size with equipped kitchen and I also had a small balcony ( didn't used it as was quite cold )
During my stay I have met 3 members of staff ( eastern europeans ) on the reception and they were all very polite and friendly.
I will return soon and I would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: rooms facing office building are very quite
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear James Hardy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience at Marlin Apartments Queen Street.
I have passed your comments to all staff members as they deserve your kind words. I am very happy to have a great team and delivering the best services to our guests is our main aim.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to marlin Apartments Queen Street and I am more than confident that you will have a second great experience.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights between Oct/Nov 2013 and found it a great place to stay, the location was superb and the apartment itself was clean and well put together. Check-in/out was really easy and once we found the side entrance to avoid the stairs it was great to be able to come and go so easily.
If you're a light sleeper then you might want to take earplugs as the noise of the tube trains can be a bit loud(we were on the first floor) but after 3 busy days exploring London we were too tired to even notice this after the first one.
A great place to visit lots of London's sights, we walked to the Tower of London & St Paul's very easily and were able to go to one of the 2 really convenient tube stations for everything else.

Room Tip: I would imagine being higher up means you won't hear the tube so much but not sure.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sziwzi,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Marlin Apartments Queen Street and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share you experience on TripAdvisor.

Unfortunately the underground noise is beyond our control, but should you wish to have an apartment away from this noise next time please do not hesitate to contact myself or the front desk to make this request or submit this on our website when you do a booking.

Thank you very much again for your kind and positive words.