“Largely ignored”

Ranked #12,140 of 23,697 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Bright and modern, Pizza Express St Martin's Lane offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was on my own and largely ignored by my server. I had to ask someone else for the Bill and sat for 15 mins for someone to come and organize the payment. As no-one came I went to the Bar to pay it myself. I did not feel valued as a customer and the server was off hand and busy else where. However as I entered before the rush-hour I do not feel there is any excuse for the poor service, lack of attention and off hand manner.
I think the other reviewer who says it is only really for tourists and non-repeat service has hit it on the head. Next time I go to the Theatre in the area I will avoid this particular branch. As I like the Brand it will not put me off however.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Post Theatre Booking for 15 at 6 pm which included 5 children. We arrived 30 minutes early. Our downstairs table was ready and we were told it was no trouble to be seated early. Our waitress was efficient and helpful. Children were served their meals first ...always a good idea .... And although there was a little wait for our food .... It meant that we adults were served together. Food well presented, hot and as ordered. Although the restaurant became busy we were not hurried, the children enjoyed their special menu, and the adults lingered over coffee. Ideal location for theatres. Recommend especially as we were able to book in advance.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went there for a pre-theatre dinner (before seeing Jumpy at the Duke of York, which was brilliant btw!) at 5:45pm. It was not very busy when we arrived but soon started to pick up.

They let us sit anywhere. We chose downstairs because it was quieter and had a nice atmosphere - it has a wall of books that show that it once was a library!

The pizzas, as always were excellent, and we had a couple of glasses of very good house wine.

We used a voucher which gave us 25% off the food bill - that equated to one free glass of wine.

The staff were very friendly and helpful but our server went AWOL for a long spell. That said, it was easy to enlist the assistance of another staff member who I think was the manager.

It's difficult to go wrong with any Pizza Express. They seem to mostly deliver a consistently high standard which is excellent for the price.

1  Thank Tony C
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very good food for a "chain" restaurant. We were in the city having just visited the British Museum (flying out that night to looking for things to fill the day) so popped in at Pizza Express St. Martins Lane on the way back to the hotel.

We had the Margherita pizza which was perfect. A side salad was nice but had too much dressing. The banoffee pie as desert was SUPERB! Also, really liked the Apple Juice which appeared to be freshly squeezed (or of a very high quality bottled product).

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Standard tasty Italian food. You know what you are getting and you get it at a reasonable price...even withour vouchers