“let down on protiens, great veg”

St John Bar & Restaurant Smithfield
Reserve with OpenTable
St John Bar & Restaurant Smithfield is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,158 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Cross street: Charterhouse Street
Transit: Farringdon
Description: Fergus Henderson's Michelin-starred home of Nose-to-Tail Dining has developed a near cult following since its inception 21 years ago for its unusual cuts of meat and pioneering simplicity.
Toronto, Canada
“let down on protiens, great veg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

I came on easter friday, so maybe the D team was at the kitchen.

I had only one dinner available for my layover so I chose st john.

I ordered all the offal dishes, and for a place known to have popularized the nose to tail movement, the offal dishes were a let down. They were all mostly overcooked, and underseasoned, without much depth of flavour. The veggie sides however were great.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank RichieBearington

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Pau, France
“Definitely different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

We went as guests to a birthday party so the menu and wines were pre-chosen. The entrance and bar area are spacious and airy and would be a great place for either a bar-snack or a full meal. The large dining area up a few steps lost a little height and, as a result, was quite Noisy. The staff managed a party of about 30 with good humour and efficiently. Both starters of Bone Marrow and Beetroot with salad and boiled egg were tasty and copious. The roast Suckling Pig (pre-ordered 7 days in advance) was excellent albeit a little spoiled by the fact that the crackling hadn't crackled. Desserts were superb especially the Madeleine's made on the premises.
We thought the prices looked a little steep but probably weren't for the location. Definitely Worth a visit both for the historic setting and ambience and the original dishes on the menu.

• Visited August 2014
“Worth the detour for this foodie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Coming from Sweden on my second visit I brought my husband and kids, 8 & 12, for an early dinner (18-ish). The service was kind and quite attentive, also towards our children who speak very little english, which we appreciated. That is not the case everywhere.
It became a truly wonderful experience - the bone marrow/parsley salad toast was as fine as ever (do order it!), next to it a terrine seemed a bit boringly presented, but it tasted very nice.
It appears to me as if the restaurant´s ambition is to keep everything simple but not plain, from cuisine to ambiance. The walls are white, the chairs are wooden, the decorations scarce. The staples may not be not fancy, but they are treated with enormous care, knowledge, imagination and respect. Which is, IMHO, the sign of excellent cooking.
Like the Terminator, I will be back.

• Visited July 2014
Canberra, Australia
“delightful - great food and lovely light decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

A delightful surprise, near the Smithfield meat market. Innovative, interesting dishes made from various animals' innards - sounds strange, but was absolutely delicious. We ate in the cafe/bar section which is light and airy and a lovely retreat from the teeming crowds in London. Service was quick and friendly. Prices reasonable. Desserts superb. An all round winner!

• Visited August 2014
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Sometimes you can't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Came here for the 2nd time, separated by 4 years. The 1st time, amazing dinner with a friend and a memorable evening. This time, we came for lunch with our 2 kids. Wish we hadn't. First, it was not for my kids and I should have known better. We ordered them a cheese plate and they ate it with the delicious bread, which they enjoyed. Service was a bit grumpy and not attentive, although we arrived before the lunch rush. I don't think the waitress looked at us in the eyes in the entire time. We had the bone marrow which was quite tasty, but skip the artichoke appetizer, which was not. Dishes are simple but nothing really WOW-ed me this time. I would try it again based on my 1st experience, but probably for dinner (sans kids).

• Visited July 2014