“Great little restaurant, great value too”
Review of Meze Mangal

Meze Mangal
Ranked #1,801 of 22,822 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
London, United Kingdom
“Great little restaurant, great value too”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently visited Meze Mangal on a Saturday night, with a friend and my mother. It was extremely busy (luckily we'd booked ahead) and the first thing that hit us was a wall of heat from the open charcoal grill, and then also from the brick walls once we were seated. We felt pretty hot throughout the evening, but soon acclimatised, and enjoyed a great experience overall.

The food is beautifully and simply cooked and absolutely delicious - very meat-heavy, as you'd expect from a Turkish restaurant, and we were all soon tucking in with relish. We did over-order a bit on the starters - the portions are pretty big, so I'd suggest taking it easy if you want to save room for the lovely mains.

The waiters work hard but were cheerful and very accommodating, and quite sweetly protective of my elderly mother, which I was very impressed with. The atmosphere is buzzy and genial and though I've certainly been to many smarter culinary establishments, this is a brilliant local restaurant (which this part of South London badly needs more of), and long may it prosper.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Valerie_uk_12

“Brilliant”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Quite simple. This is the best restaurant in london. Excellent food (tavuk kanat is my favourite), friendly waiters, great atmosphere.
I have taken all the family there and it has never let me down. Brilliant.

3 Thank Victoriajgee
“Best all round experience in South East London”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been to Meze Mangal a number of times now and every time the experience has been amazing.

The food is fantastic, and the portion sizes for each course being monstrous. I highly recommend the Mized Meze starter. The atmosphere, with the open charcoal grill, is what gets me everytime. The smell as you enter is just wonderful.

The service is always excellent. Tables are cleared quickly and drinks are ready before you ask for them.

Overall, I couldn't recommend highly enough how good this place is. Get there before they move to Central and the prices double. It'll still be a bargain though...

2 Thank LHaddon
“Genuinely one of the best Turkish restaurant in South East London”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I haven't actually eaten- in, but i can definitely tell that every time we have had take-away from Meze Mangal we have not been disappointed by the nice portions, but more importantly the quality of the meat, always juicy and not dry/overcooked, as it's quite easy to get wrong, especially with chicken shish.

Speaking to friends living around the area, they have also told me that the restaurant is generally speaking well thought around the area, so words of mouth is doing it justice!

2 Thank Roberto L
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I went there yesterday on my birthday. The food was terrible and bland ! After checking out the rave reviews but has been my most terrible experience to date

3 Thank Fatmz