Tripadvisor
London
All reviews smithfield market london pub boutique rooms farringdon tube authentic pub st pauls three rooms living room mini bar nespresso machine top floor comfy bed full english breakfast would stay again booked this hotel barbican bath
Selected filters
Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

Saturday lunch for the family. We ordered 2x starters of scotch eggs which were fairly decent although the classic scotch egg was quite greasy from the fryer. The mac cheese scotch egg was great.
Here’s where it went down hill and fast..
main courses - 2 of us ordered the Barnsley chops, 2 ordered fish and chips, 1 ordered ham hock and chicken pie.
The pie was ok. Nothing to complain about but it wasn’t better than very average.
The lamb chops - Both were instantly sent back as they stank like death. They were disgusting. My knife wouldn’t even cut the meat but the smell of rot was apparent and made a few of us feel quite sick. The serving staff were actually very good and took both meals back with no complaint. I ordered a ploughman’s instead which was pretty bad. Soggy greasy scotch egg, greasy sausage roll slice and a minuscule piece of cheese. The toast was nice though.
My parents both had fish and chips. They looked great when they arrived but both the fish and chips were saturated with grease. Pretty gross. The fish also had skin on under the batter which is nasty.
They removed the ploughman’s and a glass of red wine from the bill which is nice of them but my god was the food bad. Inexperienced Saturday staff in the kitchen perhaps?
I’d go back for a drink as the venue is wonderful but would never eat there again.
It has such potential and it’s such a waste of an opportunity. They need new kitchen staff and much better quality ingredients and cooking methods. I still feel a bit sick thinking of the food.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
TheFoxAndAnchor, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Fox & Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2020

Hi 574damianb,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review based on your recent visit. Let me begin by apologise about your poor experience with us and let me reassure you that this is not how we normally do things at the Fox & Anchor.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get along with the levels of grease with our classic British pub fare. I will certainly discuss this with the kitchen. Further to this, I can only apologise that you didn't like your chops, I can ensure you that we only use the freshest ingredients in our kitchen and they actively monitor every food item within the premises so we can assure you that no dishes served have rot or are out of date.

We hope to welcome you back again soon so we can talk you through our dishes with our kitchen team and for you to try the rest of our seasonal British dishes.

Reviewed November 10, 2019 via mobile

We used the hotel as a base for lots of sight seeing so didn’t spend too much time in the room. When we were around the room we were always disappointed due lots of things not quite right...coffee machine in room but no milk, curtains not on all rails, paint flaking, one towel between two, dim lighting, cold breakfast, asking for items and then never turning up despite chasing, no water in room (friends did have in theirs). All of the above are expected at times but when you put them together over a two day stay they were annoying. Early morning noise from Smithfield’s market was also considerable. Checkin was also poor due to an extremely busy bar. Sorry Young’s, not for me.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
TheFoxAndAnchor, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Fox & Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2019

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you found too many little faults and will be looking into this with both the housekeeping team and the front of house team. Please do get in touch with us at foxandanchor@youngs.co.uk as I will be happy to keep you updated with our findings.

Reviewed November 7, 2019 via mobile

This hotel reminded me something out of Harry Potter! We had a fabulous stay the rooms were presentable with underfloor heating and the bathtub and sinks were great. It was like Victorian meets Art Deco. We loved it.
To top it off the food was cooked extremely well at our evening meal, and the atmosphere and styling was great. They had a vast array of alcoholic choices primarily gins, if your a gin lover. The full breakfast was tasty too. When we visit London again we most certainly choose to stay at this great hotel. Nothing to complain about and nothing to critic.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us. As a fan of Harry Potter, I understand the comparison and couldn't agree more. I'm thrilled you loved your bedroom and also had a chance to dig into our seasonally British menu and range of tipples. We look forward to welcome you back again on your next visit.

Reviewed September 2, 2019

My partner and I had an amazing stay in the St. Baths room.
It was spacious, beautifully decorated, clean and had a huge bath tub. The bed was ginormous and really comfortable.
Will 1000% be back to stay again!

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Briana D
TheFoxAndAnchor, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Fox & Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2019

Hi Briana,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that you loved your time with us in the St. Bart's room and that you found it beautifully decorated. Glad you enjoyed our signature roll-top baths. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2019

I was there last year. Everything was great! Nice personnel, clean and nice room. I have travel a lot and Ive been in many other hotels in London,but this is one of my favs. See you again next year.

Alex M.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
TheFoxAndAnchor, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Fox & Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2019

Hi Aleksander,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. It's great to hear that you loved our team & hotel rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.