“A great London pub”

Ranked #37 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Yvelines
“A great London pub”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stumbled across this pub two years ago. I am a regular traveller to London, and have found this pub to always have great service and friendly staff and an excellent atmosphere. It is not the biggest pub in London, or indeed the area, but it is certainly amongst the best and has a consistently good atmosphere, excellent beer and good selection of whiskey/whisky. Food has always been very good, and the pies are excellent. For me it is what a real pub should be like.

I have only stayed there once, as normally I stay in my own flat, and found the accommodation very good. I didn't experience the noise problem referred to by others, but if you are a light sleeper, then Smithfield is not the place to stay as the market works through the night. But the rooms are excellent.

A great London pub, clean, good atmosphere, good food, and in my experience, always a great friendly welcome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sinkyparis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kent
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for the night, fantastic room, exactly as the website shows. Room was very clean just as you would expect. Felt like a little bit of luxury. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Good food, good ales, good atmosphere and lovely location. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had lunch, starting outside but then moving in as April seems still to be winter.The menu was good - we had carrot soup and welsh rarebit and both were fine. The soup arrived with slices of fresh baguette and (too!) generous butter.

The inside is interesting as there are several small sections where a small group can just have a private time. Staff were reasonably friendly and helpful - although this of course does depend on how you treat them!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I found this place in a lovely boutique book which featured other places I know & love.
Unfortunately the F&A will not become one.

It all started well.. I arrived early and, although I was told I couldn't check in, they did look after my bag whilst I went to get a coffee (with hindsight I did have to suggest this, so perhaps this was a sign of things to come)

On checking in I was allowed to choose my room, whilst they did all look lovely I was told "the ones at the front are noisy due to the pub and adjoining club" and "the ones at the back are always noisy due to fans".... Hearing the fans I opted for a room at the front & it's fair to say every night was noisy and you're woken early by deliveries & emptying bottles.

Despite asking on check in about payment, (and being told they'd taken payment on my card) mid way through the week there was a note to see the manager about payment. eager to get ready for my theatre performance i made a mental note to pop in to the bar on my way out & jumped in to the shower. the duty manager saw fit to knock on my door NON STOP and ring the room phone until eventually I got out if the shower, threw on some underwear & answered the door to what I assumed must be an emergency. Totally unacceptable. Complained in writing on departure & have received an email apology which apologises for the note being left due to a prior guest leaving without paying (but no apology for the harassment)

On checkout I was mischarged. I emailed my booking confirmation and asked for a refund, only to be told the rates have gone up. I've put my foot down and demanded a refund which I'm told is "being processed" whatever that means.

I didn't eat here as it wasn't convenient for my plans... Looked ok but the bar is quite dingy and not to my taste.

Overall there are far nicer places to stay, with better customer service. Nice rooms ruined by location, inexperience and arrogance.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Moneypennyjennie
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Having spent Friday night with little sleep at the Natural History Museum we arrived at the Fox and Anchor hoping to check in early, I has spoken to the staff previously and they said they would do their very best... which they did and we checked in before lunch. The Market Suite is superb , clean and stylish with great little touches. The area around the hotel is great and there are some hidden gems when you just wander about.
The large Copper bath in the Suite is amazing and fills very quickly and the water if piping.
On Sunday we had the Sunday lunch, this was great, the pub was packed, the service fantastic and the atmosphere, with some lazy Sunday Jazz, was great. The food was excellent and YOU MUST try the home made scotch egg.
All in all this Inn ( which is the type of feel it has) is a real find and I am sure we will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon B
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

When I originally booked I selected a particular room and was told that it wouldn't be a problem as there were currently no other bookings. I emailed a couple of days before our booking to check if this was still ok, only to be told that they had given the room to someone else! When we arrived I spoke to the Manager and they kindly offered us a free breakfast the next morning. The room was nice but not as nice as the original room I had wanted to stay in.
The worst part of the stay was yet to come... We were kept up until 4am from loud music from the bar opposite. I called the night service line to complain and was told that it was a weekend so what did I expect! What I expected was to be warned that they would be loud music played until the early hours, if I was told this in advance I would not have spent nearly £200 for 2 hours sleep! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they were an insomniac.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Charterhouse room