“A Little Piece of London”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fox & Anchor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fox & Anchor
Ranked #49 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
“A Little Piece of London”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Having spent Friday night with little sleep at the Natural History Museum we arrived at the Fox and Anchor hoping to check in early, I has spoken to the staff previously and they said they would do their very best... which they did and we checked in before lunch. The Market Suite is superb , clean and stylish with great little touches. The area around the hotel is great and there are some hidden gems when you just wander about.
The large Copper bath in the Suite is amazing and fills very quickly and the water if piping.
On Sunday we had the Sunday lunch, this was great, the pub was packed, the service fantastic and the atmosphere, with some lazy Sunday Jazz, was great. The food was excellent and YOU MUST try the home made scotch egg.
All in all this Inn ( which is the type of feel it has) is a real find and I am sure we will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

When I originally booked I selected a particular room and was told that it wouldn't be a problem as there were currently no other bookings. I emailed a couple of days before our booking to check if this was still ok, only to be told that they had given the room to someone else! When we arrived I spoke to the Manager and they kindly offered us a free breakfast the next morning. The room was nice but not as nice as the original room I had wanted to stay in.
The worst part of the stay was yet to come... We were kept up until 4am from loud music from the bar opposite. I called the night service line to complain and was told that it was a weekend so what did I expect! What I expected was to be warned that they would be loud music played until the early hours, if I was told this in advance I would not have spent nearly £200 for 2 hours sleep! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they were an insomniac.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Charterhouse room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GreatCthulhu
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My favorite pub in London also offers swank and amazingly affordable rooms. Come for the great English pub food and stay for the tubs and super-comfortable beds in what I think is the most interesting part of London: Smithfield/Clerkenwell, oozing with history, architecture, ghosts and narrow, evocative streets straight out of Dickens. Fox and Anchor's interior is immaculately restored late Victorian that feels like the England Americans like me always dream about. The rooms are large and comfortable and though some have complained about the noise, was never a problem for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GreatCthulhu
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came across this great little pub by chance as our hotel room in the Malmaison next door wasn't ready. We had an hour to kill so just nipped in for a quick drink but felt so relaxed there we stayed for lunch. The barman kindly found us a table towards the back which suited us as we had our 4 month old daughter with us. Before we knew it our drink and food order had been taken - I opted for the 'chicken&ham' pie and my wife had the 'steak pudding & mash'. Both were excellent and I washed mine down with a couple of pints of light ale. There are lots of nooks&crannies to hide away in for a quiet drink and the pub has real character. Overall the service was very good and I'd certainly go back; the waitress actually said that the “the foxes” famous smithfield burger is her favourite as the meat comes from over the road so next time I'm in town......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PoppyAlice25
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were attending a "special" function at the Habberdashers Hall and I was looking for a hotel that was different to the usual London stop overs. The Fox and Anchor is actually a pub with six themed bedrooms and is pretty much opposite Billingsgate Market in Smithfield. It was a great experience, and old world pub, great food and very comfortable room - although my wife had to take her high heels off to negotiate the stairs. Very friendly people made it complete. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms would be as good as the one we had.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Smithfield room. The location was great, not far from the center of London and the Tube. The service was warm and welcoming. My boyfriend said that the cooked breakfast was excellent. Some people may find it a bit noisy at night from the near by bars and another factor to bear on mind is that access to rooms is by a fairly steep staircase. We'll stay there again and would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay somewhere more personal and with more character than your typical hotel.

Room Tip: Smithfield is great but at the top of three flights of stairs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah_MJL
London
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed for two nights at The Market Suite - Fox & Anchor Smithfields. We frequently go to the Fox and Anchor for work breakfast and drinks so knew the venue well. On arrival we were shown upstairs to our suite. It was amazing - the photos on the website don't do it justice! There is a private roof garden, lounge snug with sofa/tv, bedroom with tv and tea/coffee facilities. Water provided in the room (both still and sparkling). The bathroom is incredible - huge roll top bath, lovely shower and good lighting. I do agree that the skylight in the bedroom would be better if there was a cover or perhaps eye masks provided in the room as it makes the room quite bright first thing in the morning - however it didn't spoil our fantastic weekend. We will definitely return to Fox & Anchor and I would highly recommend to friends/family visiting London. We ate breakfast in the pub on Sunday morning and the service/quality was fantastic. The only other negative comment I would make would be that there is a table right outside the doorway/entrance to the hotel rooms. On both evenings we had to asked people to move to exit/enter the building as they were standing having a pint. This didn't bother us but may put others off. Suggest perhaps the pub could move the table out of the doorway corner to resolve this issue.

Room Tip: The Market Suite if you can afford it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple