This Victorian pub (close to Smithfield Market) on Charter Street is a few doors down from the Malmason Hotel and they both have the same owners. I gather the pub provides accommodation and I had heard good things about the food and our casual dining experience lived up to expectation. The food was most enjoyable and the venue had a great deal of character as a traditional pub with long narrow rooms stretching back from the street, wood panelling and built in snugs. A two piece jazz group occupied the bar and they played a few requests for us. The customers were a mixture of office workers having a drink on the way home and casually dressed diners. At times the pub was so busy the clients spilled out onto the quiet street. There was not a lot of room inside and the dining tables were small and cramped, but this only added to the cosy atmosphere. The toilets were down stairs and were very smart and clean.
I decided to try two starters (Half Pint Of Prawns and the English Fennel Salad) instead of a main course and my wife had the Fish Pie main course followed by a shared ice cream. The salad puzzled me as it seemed to be missing the advertised walnuts. I asked the waitress about this and she then came back with the missing nuts which complemented the salad flavours beautifully. She was most apologetic about the mistake and offered a free drink on the house.
All the delicious food, a bottle of wine, plus a 10% service charge came to less than £60 for the two of us. We enjoyed a lovely evening out at the Fox and Anchor and look forward to dining here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled deep in the lively & exciting Smithfield area, the former original London gin-joint has been lovingly restored to its former glory and a whole lot more as well. The Fox & Anchor originates from the late Victorian era and has been serving the traders of Smithfield market for years. Grand mahogany doors, etched glass and heavy brass, we serve great British food alongside our favourite cask ales & craft beers. With 6 traditional rooms all with their own unique differences, the eclectic range of rooms are a hidden gem in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Fox & Anchor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fox & Anchor Hotel London
- Fox And Anchor
- Fox & Anchor London, England