“Pub grub at its best”
Review of Fox & Anchor

Fox & Anchor
Ranked #40 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This Victorian pub (close to Smithfield Market) on Charter Street is a few doors down from the Malmason Hotel and they both have the same owners. I gather the pub provides accommodation and I had heard good things about the food and our casual dining experience lived up to expectation. The food was most enjoyable and the venue had a great deal of character as a traditional pub with long narrow rooms stretching back from the street, wood panelling and built in snugs. A two piece jazz group occupied the bar and they played a few requests for us. The customers were a mixture of office workers having a drink on the way home and casually dressed diners. At times the pub was so busy the clients spilled out onto the quiet street. There was not a lot of room inside and the dining tables were small and cramped, but this only added to the cosy atmosphere. The toilets were down stairs and were very smart and clean.

I decided to try two starters (Half Pint Of Prawns and the English Fennel Salad) instead of a main course and my wife had the Fish Pie main course followed by a shared ice cream. The salad puzzled me as it seemed to be missing the advertised walnuts. I asked the waitress about this and she then came back with the missing nuts which complemented the salad flavours beautifully. She was most apologetic about the mistake and offered a free drink on the house.

All the delicious food, a bottle of wine, plus a 10% service charge came to less than £60 for the two of us. We enjoyed a lovely evening out at the Fox and Anchor and look forward to dining here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fox & Anchor

Reviewed November 25, 2010

Stayed in the Market Suite,Beautiful room, bose sound system, etc all very good
The bathroom out of this world pure luxury.But this is an INN and there is no service .You get your room and you are on your own.Bar staff friendly but a little detached.We were never once asked did we enjoy our stay or is everything ok with your room.When we were leaving the manager was eating his dinner at the bar and he was just to casual for me as we had just left him £235.He could have said "Hope you enjoyed everything" .Market suite is at the rear of hotel so our sleep was good and it was a Sunday night so no nightclub noise or noise from trucks.When we were leaving we walked past The Rookery Hotel and for choice I would stay here next time as it is located on a nicer street.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DuffyCork
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I reserved the Spitalfield room at the Fox and Anchor months ago - we had been so excited about staying here after all the publicity in the press and the amazing reviews.

Either the place has gone downhill recently or previous reviewers have over-exaggerated its 'charms'.

I never received any email confirmation of my stay so I called the night before to confirm the booking. A very friendly guy called Sandro confirmed that we would be staying in the Spitalfield room for 2 nights. Yippee! I arrived the following evening only to be told we wouldn't be staying in the Spitalfield as 'someone else has been living in there for the last week..and we can't throw him out'. The guy then informed me that when you book - 'it's only a request anyway' Despite the fact that I booked that specific room over the phone and then had it confirmed to me the night before I arrived!

They had put us in the St Barts room on the first floor at the front of the hotel. The bathroom was sensational - wonderful suite, especially the shower and lovely REN toiletries. However, the bedroom was fairly ordinary and starting to look very tired - significant staining to the brown velvet sofa; scratches and marks all over the desk; beautiful luxurious curtains hung floor to ceiling over the windows but they weren't hooked into all the curtain rings so they huge loosely and looked scruffy - I even tried to rectify them myself but the curtain rail was too high. All it would take was an eye for detail and a step ladder to put it right.

We were out until round midnight and when we returned Smithfields market was a hive of activity - this is no fault of the hotel but I think it was the reason I didn't want the St Barts room in the first place - the noise at the front of the hotel was dreadful. Lorries reversing and unloading; men shouting - it was difficult to drop off. It was extremely windy that night too, and the Fox and Anchor pub sign which is right outside the window of St Barts was frantically blowing back and forth and could have done with a squirt of WD40!! So, no sleep on our first night...

The next day we were out and about - we had lunch at the superb St Johns restaurant round the corner - then out in the evening again, returning around 11.30pm. The club/bar across the very narrow road from the hotel was pumping out it's Friday night music...and we couldn't sleep again! Getting very grouchy by now! The music carried on until 4.30am - joy! So, no sleep on our second night....

As we were leaving the following morning, I complained to the guy who checked us out. I know he can't do anything about the market or the club..but the fact that we didn't get the room we wanted was within the hotel's control. I also mentioned the curtains and the squeaky sign. He didn't seem all that bothered.

The bill was almost £400 for 2 nights ROOM ONLY with no additional charges as we didn't eat in the pub - outrageous! What's more, the rate quoted over the phone did not include VAT and I don't recall being informed of this fact. So I thought the room was an expensive treat to start with, but then when the VAT was added, it became an extortionate treat, especially as we hadn't had any sleep at all for 2 nights!

The Fox and Anchor has a certain charm and it's in a cool part of the city...but stay somewhere else...unless of course, you're one of the people who likes to party until 4.30am! Then it's probably perfect for you!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ShazinDenton
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed in the St Barts room on a Saturday night - I suggest you don't unless you are a very heavy sleeper. The noise from the local clubs goes on until 4am - my wife ended up sleeping in the bathroom.
They also quoted without VAT meaning rooms cost £30 more than you budget for - very cheeky.
Its a nicely done boutique hotel but we felt left feeling ripped off.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheNorthLondoner
Reviewed August 25, 2010

A lovely conversion, situated above a pub with great food and choice of beers. Noise is to be expected given the location however beware, immediately opposite is a very loud nightclub complete with screaming, smashing of bottles, swearing etc until gone 3 A.M. The morning revealed the extent of broken glass and debris over the pavements. You would be naive to expect a peaceful setting, however a little warning about the noise levels would have been fair. The staff were aware of the issue and were apologetic. A shame considering what was promised and a waste of a rare weekend away ! Contacted Malmaison customer service but no reply. Avoid weekends and things could be much different ?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janeyhCambridge
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed here for our wedding weekend. My wife (to be at onset of the weekend!), her parents and sister and partner. The rooms are very good indeed, especially "The Market" room which is exceptional. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Beer and food in the pub itself is very good indeed. Good atmosphere in the pub, some great nooks and booths to hideaway in (if you want to!). It could do with not having Sky Sports news on all day - that is a bit distracting and the crisps/barsnacks are ludicrously expensive. It is in a superb location. Two words of caution if you use the hotel - there is alot of noise on Friday and Saturday nights from the bar/club next door (so I'd recommend a few pints to help you sleep!) and also VAT is not included in the prices quoted for rooms - make sure you factor it in otherwise you'll get a shock when you check out!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kieran020
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Don't stay in a big hotel next time you're in London. It's like a boutique hotel but a pub. Good mattress big duvets. I stay there throughout the week. Would do it at weekends too. More foxes please!