“Charming Restaurant & Tasty Food”
Review of Fonsecas

Fonsecas
Reserve with OpenTable
Fonsecas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 1,801 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a lovely meal here last Friday night. I had lamb with dauphinoise potatoes, savoy cabbage and bacon with the most delicious 'jus' ever! My boyfriend had the onglet steak and triple cooked chips. For dessert I had creme brulee and my boyfriend had a chocolate ice cream dessert. The service was good - could have been better - the waitress forgot our wine order so it didn't have much time to breathe before we drank it. Also had to ask for a steak knife as the ones given with our meals were next to useless! All in all the food was very tasty and the atmosphere was great. We had a drink in the wine bar downstairs before our meal, that was lovely too.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Thought I had posted a review of this place a few weeks ago but mysteriously seems to have disappeared. I used to recommend the former Delifonseca (now Fonsecas) as one of the best and sure-fire places to eat in Liverpool. Unfortunately could not say the same after recent experiences.
Two things have changed.
1) you used to buy wine from the Deli and then drink with your meal. This made the wine great value and I basically used to spend a lot on wine but end up drinking much better quality wine than I would normally shell out for in a restaurant. Personally I don't think the wine I drank last visit was ver good.
2) the food seems to have diminished in quality over the years. We ate off the set menu which was frankly very poor indeed although saved for me by the excellent cheese platter for dessert
So what used to be one of the best kept secrets in town has sadly fallen from grace. Not on my short list any more I'm sad to say

1  Thank JJOH
DelifonsecaStanleySt, General Manager at Fonsecas, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear JJOH

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As indicated in your review, we have undergone a luxurious refurbishment which includes converting our old deli into a new cafe/ wine bar which has proven to be a much more complimentary use of the space for our restaurant. As the deli no longer exists, we no longer have the facility to purchase wine at retail prices and pay a nominal corkage fee to drink it in the restaurant. We have however, replaced this with a wine list that is over 100 wines strong including a selection of over 20 by the glass. As much as we always felt our corkage deal represented great value, less than 5% of our customers ever utilised this and we took the decision that a comprehensive wine list was the appropriate way to go and it has thus far proved very popular.
You haven’t mentioned in your review whether you had any wine in addition to the house wine that is included in our 3 course £19.95 set menu but I stand by this wine representing excellent value for its price point. As aforementioned, we have over 20 wines by the glass and the staff would have been on hand to make recommendations had you wished to purchase something more premium. We have numerous award winning wines on the list and whilst these would have been charged at standard / restaurant bar prices, I am confident that they are competitively priced and having personally tasted everything on the list, I would refute any of them being described as ‘not very good’. I hope it would reassure you to know that the option to purchase retail wine is still in operation at our sister site, Delifonseca Dockside.
I’m sorry that you feel that, on this occasion, the food did not meet your expectations. We recognise the need for a dining option that represents both speed and great value and we have responded to our loyal customers who were essentially looking for a pre theatre / speed dining menu. The menu comprises of 3 courses and a glass of wine for £19.95 and whilst I am confident that we use exceptional ingredients across all of our menus and cook them with skill, at that price point, I assume that you understand it would be extremely difficult to show the same level of skill and finesse as we do in the main courses you allude to having on previous occasions. As these are generally priced at between £12-£16 I’m sure you appreciate that it is difficult if not odd to draw the comparisons you have made. I’m confident that had you chosen to dine from our blackboard menu as you appear to have done so on previous occasions, you would have found the quality to be as good (if not much improved) as on those earlier visits.
I am concerned that you have referred to the food as ‘very poor’ as we endeavour to serve excellent food by skilled staff and had you indicated your displeasure at any time, that staff would have done everything they could to have rectified your experience. Without knowing when you dined or what you ate, I’m sure you can appreciate the difficulty in providing a comprehensive response to your complaint. If you would care to contact me directly at danielle@delifonseca.co.uk or on 01512550808, I would be delighted to discuss the matter at length and ascertain how we could have met your expectations on this occasion. I look forward to hearing from you. Danielle Youds (General Manager)

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Went here last night after hearing good reviews and was massively disappointed! Pleasant enough on arrival yet seated on a broken chair, only to find when asking for another one that they knew it was broken but were waiting for another party to leave before it could be replaced with theirs! The Spanish platter starter was average at best, nothing good nothing bad, unlike their deli specials! Then to the main, a lukewarm steak, pale supposedly triple cooked chips and classic vine tomato and mayo in a pot landed before me! And then to the drinks, the pint of estrella landing 15 mins after my glass of fizz as it had to come all the way from downstairs and then of the £20.99 bottle of red ordered, by far the best part of the evening so much so we ordered another, shame when the bill came it was infact a £27.95 bottle of something else we had been drinking, worth it but somewhat besides the point! On the positive side very nice staff who were not deserving of our complaints after their work!

2  Thank Nique699
DelifonsecaStanleySt, Manager at Fonsecas, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Nique699

I am sorry but puzzled to hear about your experience on Saturday evening. Especially surprised as in your lengthy chats with our ‘very nice staff’ you explained you worked in a similar establishment in the city so it would seem logical for you to have mentioned at least some of the issues on the night.

In terms of the damaged chair our apologies. As you know the restaurant had a number of large tables in on a busy Saturday night. We can only assume that the chair was damaged by the previous diner and that you were given one of our ‘spare’ chairs. I think the staff were hoping to give you one of our standard leather chairs but the neighbouring table didn’t clear before you arrived. However I also understood that they moved you into a booth when it became available.

In terms of your comments on our food the Spanish platter is our best selling starter and comprises of a Jamon Serrano Reserva (18+ months), award winning chorizo iberico, salchichon iberico and 6 month manchego, marinated anchovies, olives and roasted piquillo pepper and our in-house chorizo potato salad. It’s the first complaint we’ve ever had about it so I suspect it’s simply a matter of taste.

I apologise that you felt your onglet steak wasn’t at optimum temperature. Obviously anything served medium rare will never be piping hot but should certainly have been more than lukewarm. If you had pointed this out after your first few bites the meal would have been removed (along with your partners) and the dishes replaced. That is the type of customer service we provide but we can only do so if the customers alert us to concerns as they happen. I can’t really appreciate your comment that the staff were ‘not deserving of your complaints’ given that they have the power to rectify and improve your experience. In fact Megan, our manager on shift that night, is mortified that you felt compelled to write such a review when you happily chatted at length with her but gave no inkling of unhappiness. Megan said that she did notice that you hadn’t finished your meal in full but when she enquired about this, you advised her it was ‘great’. The staff work hard to ensure a good complete experience but can only do so if they receive feedback. Likewise if you prefer really well-done chunky chips or disliked the horseradish & parsley mayonnaise they could have easily been replaced.

I can only apologise about the mix up with your wine. We have a number of rioja wines on our list. We have a Lanzado Rioja Joven priced at £20.95 (which I assume is the one you intended to order) but see from your bill that you were given the Ondarre Rioja Reserva at £27.95 (2007). I suspect the waiter misheard so our apologies for the mistake. However as is customary, we go to the trouble of presenting the wine at the table in order for the diner to check it is the wine requested. Clearly at this stage you failed to notice it was not the one you ordered. However I’m glad you enjoyed the wine and I agree wholeheartedly that it is worth the price increase. I see that you took and paid for a second bottle in the bar after you had settled the restaurant bill and the error had come to light so a vote of confidence in the quality and value of the wine.

I’m sorry that you didn’t feel you could discuss this with the staff on shift as I see from your bill that you were with us for approximately four hours. I was also here for the last hour of your visit and would have been more than happy to receive your feedback although I could see things were getting a little emotional so perhaps you had other things on your mind. I know you will appreciate in our line of work that Tripadvisor can be incredibly damaging especially when some experiences seem to appear out of context. We pride ourselves on excellent ingredients, cooked with skill, served by knowledgeable and helpful staff so to receive reviews such as yours is always disappointing for the team. I would be most grateful if you could contact me on 01512550808 or on danielle@delifonseca.co.uk so we can discuss this further and resolve the matter to your satisfaction. Danielle Youds - General Manager

Reviewed October 6, 2013

A gang of 8 went to the Stanley Street Restaurant. I cannot find the Stanley Street Page on here. Anyway, we arrived about 2030hrs and got an amazing meal. Graham looked after us very well and i had the game pie which was incredible. This has to be one of the best food sessions i have had.I was also looking and talking about other guests meals and they stated their was equally good. I have been here before but only now feel compelled to comment. Incredible!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This resteraunts is amazing, the food was amazing would recomend it to anyone and would deffenatly go back again the staff went out of there way to make sure you had an enjoyable meal also with it been my boyfriends birthday they brought over a free cocktail.