“Let Down”

Cuisines: Seafood, South American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The meat seemed like cheep cuts,i guess that makes it more authentic.I thought the hulio was full of self importance.

1  Thank Boosley B

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very atmospheric, great food,but fairly pricey,although I did have a fillet steak which was enormous and beautifully cooked. The wine selection was very good and obviously well kept. The service was friendly though somewhat laid back. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Peter A
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Visited after a gap of a couple of years following a disappointing experience.
I'm glad to report that they seem to be back to their old selves, the menu offered some interesting options which were delicious, I really enjoyed the chorizo & potato starter and could quite easily have tucked into what the others in the group had ordered as well.
Only slight gripe is the lack of stock of wine, they only had one bottle of the wine the wine we ordered (we were a group of 4 !) and when we ordered the only other sauvignon blanc on the wine list were told that was the last bottle as well.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

While in Liverpool on a weekend visit, stumbled on the Valparaiso and were immediately attracted by the interesting cuisine on the menu, so jumped straight in. While the restaurant was not busy apart from a private party upstairs, we were made to feel special and very welcome by the owners and their staff. We might have chosen anything off the menu - all options sounded tasty and different enough to be worth trying. Opted for the sardines (daily special) and a chorizo and potato starter, followed by Pastel (a Chilean variant on shepherds pie) and a spicy lamb stew. All the food was uniformly excellent, and the friendly atmosphere made it most enjoyable. Too full for afters, but the maté was another unusual taste to finish on. Well worth every penny, and Valparaiso on my list of places to see when next in Liverpool.

1  Thank TreborSnoraa
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is an excellent restaurant, and is one of the best in Liverpool. First went the Valparaiso 21 years ago and the food is still amazing! Had tiger prawns in garlic with an avocado salsa starter...wife had the fish soup. WOW....this consisted of a huge bowl of soup with a whole fillet of fish, green lipped mussels, clams, tiger prawns. sensational starters. Decided on the fillet steak in a mushroom pepper sauce. Now I have eaten lots of steaks in lots of restaurants, and this was one of the finest steaks I have ever had. Asked for medium rare, and it was spot on. The selection of side vegetables with it was also fantastic...butternut squash, courgette, broccoli, green beans and rice (instead of potato for me) perfectly cooked al dente, and all individually cooked with a variety of sauces and seasonings, clearly a lot of effort had gone into those veggies! Wife had the lamb, it was slow cooked casserole style in a sort of tomatoey type sauce (a bit of a vague description I know but was concentrating on my steak) and that was melt in mouth too. So we were so impressed with the whole experience, that we tried to find any fault and we couldn't! The waitress apologies that my wife margarita s in the wrong glass, but hey it was good and so was my mojito...the pre dinner cocktails were brill, and the bottle of reservation red went really well with the meal. Don't be put off by what may be perceived as a small menu, there were plenty of specials too and everything was really fresh as you would expect......the do what they offer really well. I don't write many reviews but just feel the need to bang on about this place a bit. Went there when it was fairly new over 20 years ago.....the fact that they are still there speaks volumes. The main reason I felt so compelled to write this review was that there were only 7 or 8 other people in there, nowhere near enough for a saturday night. Didn't affect our enjoyment of the meal or the place, but COME ON PEOPLE OF LIVERPOOL give this place if you have never been before!!! Will definitely not wait 20 years before going back...well done Valpairiso.

2  Thank PaulVH1963