“Cosy, friendly city centre gastropub”

The Monro Gastropub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Monro Gastropub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #281 of 1,783 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Husband and I enjoyed an early doors meal at this lovely city centre bar/restaurant (after going to late afternoon cinema). We have eaten here previously and found the staff to be welcoming, well-trained in customer service (without being 'in your face') and the food delicious at a very reasonable price. The wine list too is comprehensive and good value. We had hoped to book for Burns Night on 25th, but The Monro could not accommodate a table of 8 as fully booked, so going to sister pub James Monro - and look forward to experiencing similar great food and friendly service.

There are newer reviews for The Monro Gastropub

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We live abroad, but were visiting Liverpool during the first week of December. I was looking for a good restaurant in the area, and after reading trip advisor reports about this restaurant I decided to book for Sunday lunch - but wish I hadn´t

I had booked an early lunch, so there were only a handful of people in at that time, so no problem
in having to wait. Our drinks arrived some 10 minutes later - we wondered why the delay as still not full?.

We ordered the starters which arrived with no problem - we both had different items, which were ok but nothing outstanding

We both ordered the lamb, which arrived some 30 minutes later. During that time we had
2 different waitresses asking if we would like to order.!! Our glasses were nearly due for
replenishing yet neither of them asked if we would like a drink...we had to ask them....

When our main course arrived the waitress arrived with the plates ,she said beef ? and we said no we had both ordered the lamb, to which she then said oh I meant lamb. As it did not look like lamb we were still unconvinced. She then disappeared and we asked another waitress for mint sauce to which the waitress said mint sauce? as if this was something quite unusual to have with lamb.....maybe she thought we were eating beef as well..... Not a very good start before sampling the meal though. The ´lamb´ was not at all tender and necessitated a tremendous amount of chewing - just to be able to swallow it. A very very mediocre, barely edible meal and definitely far too expensive for what it was - not at all the special celebratory meal we had anticipated.

We had no one particular waitress attending to our table - it was whoever was passing, but as they had obviously not spoken to each other, none of them had a clue as to what stage of the
meal we were at, so kept asking the wrong questions, or not asking at all.....how many people
want to go to a restaurant and initially wait 15 minutes and after that, with obvious empty
glasses, just have their plates collected and not be asked if we would like a refill?? Attentiveness - NOT.

After waiting a further 30 minutes after we had finished our main course and nobody had come
to discuss desserts, we were so dissatisfied that we asked for the bill, at which point we were asked if we would like dessert. We declined. We paid our bill, and for the first time ever did not
leave a tip as neither the food nor the staff deserved it.

All the restaurant staff between them had been unable, once, during the whole of our time there
to smile, not when we arrrived, not when they brought the menus, not when they served us - every one of the girls and the men were the same - very unsmiling with dour, surly, looks - and why am I here type faces - they had attitude with a capital A. They implied we were doing them a favour to be in their restaurant. They have obviously never been to a really top first class
restaurant in London or Manchester to know how to treat paying customers.

When we paid the billl and told the man we had been unhappy with the meal, and the lack of attentiveness, the man just looked at us and shrugged his shoulders - no apology or anything.

I think that says it all - give this restaurant a wide berth. It seemed to us, they think they have it made it and can´t be bothered to make the effort anymore, if they ever did.

4  Thank bearsant
MonroGroup, Guest Relations Manager at The Monro Gastropub, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Hi there

Not much to disagree with here as we were all over the place in the first week of December and we regrouped and performed with excellence since then, as the latest reviews testify. Running a restaurant isn't a robotic operation and sometimes we do get it wrong. Let's see how we get on moving forward into 2013 and when you're next over contact me via the website and let's show you what we can really do.

William

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Thanks to all at the Monro for an unforgettable New Years Eve dining experience. From first entering the establishment at 7 o'clock to leaving circa 12:45 am on New Years Day, we had a ball.

We were shown to our table immediately. Drinks were brought whilst my wife and I perused the special menu. My wife chose the vegetable soup, which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the crab and crayfish ravioli which was superb.
We both chose the scallops with belly pork as the mains - outstanding! The scallops just melted in the mouth and were complemented by the beautiful pork and crackling plus the baby vegetables.
My sweet was the Cointreau mousse and my wife chose a great selection of cheese and biscuits.
Throughout the meal, our waiter (Andrew), was brilliant. He kept our wine flowing. My wife chose the Prosecco I had the "house" Chenin Blanc. Both were excellent.
Sorry - forgot the sorbet (cherry). That wasn't on the menu, but was very well received.
The atmosphere was amazing all night. Everyone was enjoying themselves immensely. It prompted us to stay and bring in the New Year before wending our way back to our hotel.
Thanks to all at The Monro for a wonderful culinary evening.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went to the Monro last night for the first time. Went with family for the early doors menu £13.95 for two courses. We were very surprised by the choice on the menu. Our waitress Claire was fantastic, and so was the food. Absolutely first class could not fault a thing. Worth booking in advance because it does get busy.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Popped in for lunch with my wife to escape the sales crowds. 2 course lunch for 12 quid each and cooked fresh as well. Lovely food and the waiter was excellent. Good real ale.

It would have 5 stars but for a couple of picky things such as a very smoky fire, a couple of beer flies and a shallow fried brie which wasn't melted through. Both of us would give it another go.

Highly recommended.