“Good selection but Very bland food”
Review of City Buffet

City Buffet
Ranked #988 of 2,244 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The place is very nice and the staff friendly they keep the place clean and are quick at keeping your table clean.
There is a good selection of food but unfortunately the food is very bland, and they don't keep the food dishes replendish I did try most things but really couldn't say anything stood out, saying that the ice cream was nice.
It is all you can eat buffet so if you are hungry and not that fussy then this could be the place for you.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (321)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Came here alone at lunchtime today, while my wife was lunching in town with friends.
I was somewhat aprehensive, given some of the negative comments on this site about cleanliness and food quality, but i was really pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.
I was seated at my table by a very pleasant, smiling young woman, who took my drink order.
I started with hot & sour soup, which was hot, and tasty (albeit slightly sweet for my taste).
After the soup i made my way back for a selection of dim sum starters.
On returning to my table, the soup bowl had already been cleared.
For mains i had a plate consisting of egg fried rice, salt and pepper prawns, mussels in black bean sauce and beef and green pepper in black bean sauce.
Turns out i don't like mussels, but all the dishes were well presented and tasty.
The restaurant itself was clean, and all my plates were cleared away promptly.
Look. Was it the hottest food in the world? No (It's a buffet).
Was it the best chinese food i've ever had? No (It's £8.50 all in).
Would i go back? For this quality food and a pint of lager for £11.50, DEFINITELY.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Came here tonight; food was extremely cold. Tasted like it had just been warmed up! All the food was dry and tough. Nearly broke my teeth! Not much choice! Prawn toast was burnt, the best thing was my pure apple juice!

Reviewed December 29, 2019 via mobile

Popped in on a Sunday during the Xmas period
This place has changed hands a few times over the years
But the new pricing of £9.50 all day seems to draw a steady flow of customers through the door.
Well lit and clean looking , seems at first a bargain but the selection of food was poor and was quite bland in taste.
most of clientele were from out of town and with children and obviously drawn in by the price and who can blame them but the choice was atrocious and of a bad standard
Most scousers know a good Chinese meal or buffet having been brought up in city with a large Chinese community and a wide choice of restaurants so the lack of locals sort of tells the story.
One good point is that the servers don’t hassle you to buy drinks as soon as you sit down.
One further point the guy on the cash desk tried to over charge me by £6 which my wife picked up on right away.
This may have been an honest error but then again ?
Come on city buffet get a grip your not giving a good representation of our wonderful city time to pull your socks up the city is awash with tourists let’s give them a better experience

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank Mersey B
Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

Visited here last night, having been several times in the past we where looking forward to the usual cheap but cheerful food. Sadly we were very disappointed. The soup was tasteless and looked like dish water. The starters where ok but the mains were awful. All tasted the same, couldn't identify the meat and cold. The sweet and sour pork was like eating jelly in batter. The best part was the icecream out of the machine. I know you get what you pay for and it is cheap but it was absolutely awful and in my opinion way below standard. I have been to lots of chinese buffet style restaurants and enjoyed the food but this one was really bad. I would advise people to look elsewhere. Won't be going again.

Date of visit: December 2019