“Fantastic hotel, in great location.”
Review of 62 Castle Street

62 Castle Street
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 2, 2014

When I originally booked this hotel, the reviews were all good. With a few weeks to go, I had concerns. The reviews weren't great. Mainly due to lack of cleanliness.
First impressions- Location is great, just off Liverpool one and 10 minute walk to the Albert Docks. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking the Law Courts. The executive suite was great. Very spacious, a lovely clean bathroom, with a great shower, and the most comfortable bed ever, with crisp,clean and white sheets. The lighting was great during daylight hours. At night the room was lit by various lighting means, very cosy, but not great for applying makeup. Our only moan was the poor condition of the windows and the design of the sink tap. The tap was so close to the sink, not only was it difficult to wash hands, it was virtually impossible to fill the kettle. These were minor issues. The first morning we went out for breakfast. The second morning we had breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant and waitress were very nice, but the breakfast is overpriced.
Our main reason for visiting Liverpool, was to watch a game at Anfield. Awesome, Liverpool won. Very easy to get a bus to the ground. Shopping and eating in the city centre is great. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clareian7274
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at 62 Castle St. As you are probably aware the hotel is a Grade II listed building and unfortunately the maintenance is never ending, the windows are on the list to update as the current windows have been permanently fixed due to health and safety, unfortunately the design of the sink taps is another matter and for this I can only apologise. I hope that these issues will not stop you returning to 62 Castle St.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Amazing location, could not have asked for better.
Building, reception and staircase was really nice. Room at first glance was lovely also, but after the first day I started to notice that it wasn't as shiny as I first thought. For example it was clean but the likes of skirting boards radiators etc had a a thick layer of dust. The windows were rotten inside and out. The sealant round the bath was worn away and tiles on the floor were all worn which I couldn't tell if it was dirt or scratches! The room wasn't lit very well, it could do with either more lamps or more light fittings in the ceiling (I dont think there were any at all). Was surprised there was no mini fridge?!
However the bed was a dream, literally. The staff were so friendly and helpful, could not fault them at all.
I just think for a boutique hotel and the price there could have been a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa M
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

I note your comments about the dust in the rooms and have spoken with our housekeeping department to ensure that it doesn't happen again, I can only apologise for this error. We are currently working our way through refreshing the rooms but with a listed building it has its difficulties such as existing windows, however we have, before Christmas, retiled all the bathroom floors so I think the marks are the grout that have not been removed completely. I thank you for your positive comments about the team and will certainly share them with them as it is good to have nice feedback on the service we deliver. I hope that you do come back to the hotel at some point in the future to see the improvements.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had high hopes for this hotel but after checking in they soon went! Our room was so dull and dismal with peeling paint and a general not clean feeling. We went out for meal and on our return found the night manager standing outside locked out!!!!!! He had not got a clue what to do, and two of us had to pull the sliding door aside to get to the inside push button, Not good!
We then arranged for breakfast at 6.45am and arrived at the breakfast room to find it locked, when we found a member of the kitchen staff she unlocked the doors and switched the heating and lights on……or did she? It was so dull and cold in there!
We asked for a drink and some cereals, she said we don't have cereals… My wife didn't get her drink and the toast we ordered never turned up! It must have been hiding somewhere with all of the staff!!!!
We checked out and booked into the Ibis around the corner and what a difference….Light rooms, warm rooms, pleasant staff and food!!!!

Room Tip: Go to the Ibis!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NeilHems

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us here at 62 Castle St. I am sorry if your experience with us did not live up to your expectations. I can only apologise over the incident with the front door, unfortunately the door was faulty and we had to wait for the contractor to send an engineer, hence the reason it closed and had to be manually pulled open, this has now been rectified. Our breakfast times are clearly stated on all the hotel literature, including our Welcome letter that is handed to every guest at check in and the guest packs in each of the rooms. Heating in lounge area is part of the hotel heating system so would have automatically been on as it was in all the guest bedrooms. Again I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Enjoyed the stay, good location close to city centre. Room badly lit with only side lamps and black lampshades made it extremely difficult to see to dry hair and do makeup. Although breakfast was nice we had to wait around to be seated as there was only one member of staff servicing, we had to go to reception for them to be told we are not part of the breakfast team. On an evening the hotel doors are locked from around 9 which we found strange??? The merchant bar and restaurant was closed no email or text to inform us of this? Air con in the room did not work and room was too hot. To conclude this could be a great hotel but needs a makeover and more lighting/ brighter decor. Staff were pleasant enough however did not make not engage throughout or ask f we enjoyed our stay. Could do better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Castle62, Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us here at 62 Castle St. I am sorry that your time with us did not live up to your expectations. We have a new operator for our food and beverage offerings and I think this is were issues over breakfast happened as they had only just taken over, again I am sorry if you did not get notification from us about the change over and bar & restaurant refurbishment, how our reception team are more than happy to recommend one of the 6 excellent restaurant/bars in Castle St or within the hotel vicinity. I hope that you do decide to come back and stay with us here again as the new Bar & Restaurant will be opening in early May 2014.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Arrived to be met by Ken the extremely helpful night receptionist/porter/? who remembered my name and those of my party who'd been there before. The room was excellent, the bed comfortable and the shower (and consumables) was the perfect wake up tonic. The air conditioning defeated me, as it had the first time I stayed, but ken came up with a solution so I didn't have to change rooms. Breakfast was in a new restaurant on the first floor, it seems a pity that this hotel is doing away with its bar, scrambled eggs were very good, not over cooked/watery. All in all another good experience in a well located hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay with us here at 62 Castle St and I am delighted that you had such a positive time here, I have shared all your feedback to the team here, especially Ken, as it is great motivation for them to hear their hard work is appreciated. Our new operators will be opening WhatsatSixtyTwo, the refurbished Bar & Restaurant in early May so please contact us direct and we would be delighted to book you in. Once again, thank you for sharing your positive stay with us.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to town so really convenient and they lobby and check in we're faultless, the room was spacious and well appointed, bed was very comfortable but there were a few issues, the air con remote control didn't work, when I mentioned this to the desk staff they bought up fans, to me this suggested that they already knew it wasn't working, also the bathroom floor needed sweeping, again this was cleaned and we were advised maintenance had been in and not cleaned up after, this is of course forgivable but this is a hotel that claims to be boutique?

The sealent on the bath was hanging off and there was a slight drains smell in the bathroom. The tv remote only half worked and the light near the drinks station, that was in a cove so not lot by room light, didn't work, making a drink in the darkness wasn't the easiest task. Also a few water marks on the ceiling and grubby window paint.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay again but I'm not sure the boutique tag is right just yet, but would be easy to sort out those issues and be a really great place! Staff like all Liverpudlians were a pleasure to deal with!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay with us here at 62 Castle St. I am sorry that your air con unit was not working, we always have additional fans as a back up as we have to call out an engineer if there are issues, unfortunately even if its a simple solution. I apologise, as I did on the day, for maintenance not cleaning up after they had been working in your room and housekeeping not getting in there before we checked you in, it was an error on our party, again I apologise. We are currently working on refreshing the rooms, the sealants being on the list of jobs, as we have numerous other issues with it being an old listed building, I do hope that you do come back and stay with us again and will notice the improvements then.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

The rooms are awesome - no doubt there - however some of the carpets do probably need a refresh as they are struggling a little.

Unfortunately having no wifi in the hotel means I can't recommend this to anyone staying on business. Wifi has plugged itself firmly into the bottom of maslows triangle these days, particularly for a modern hotel in a cosmopolitan city centre. I personally wouldn't stay again for this reason - I had a bunch of work to do coming in from abroad and it made it a pain. It's not exactly difficult or expensive to sort out...

Room Tip: Go to a hotel with wifi
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us here at 62 Castle St. I can only apologise for only having hard wired internet access in the rooms and wifi in the room public areas, however this is something we are looking at rolling outing out in the future. We are on a programme of refreshing the rooms and the carpets within the whole hotel have been deep cleaned at the beginning of the year. I do hope that you return to us here at 62 at some point in the future when we have wifi in the guest bedrooms or on a social visit.