“Size does matter”

Ranked #54 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Todmorden
“Size does matter”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The room (standard double) was wonderfully spacious (what most hotels would describe as 'delux' or even a suite), with high ceilings, vast window and large bathroom. It was also tastefully decorated and clean. Located in the very heart of Liverpool is perhaps both a strength and a weakness: it was great to be in the heart of things during the daytime and evening, but by midnight, this felt less like a good thing as the noise was quite intrusive. In fairness though, we stayed the night that the Olympic torch came to town! When visiting Liverpool I would certainly make a point of booking 62 Castle Street again - bring ear plugs and it's a real treat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Justine A
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at 62 Castle St. I am most pleased you enjoyed your stay and experienced the comfort of our large suites. My apologies you were disturbed by the outside noise, being a listed building we are very restricted in terms of works we are able to do to reduce noise via the windows. If we do have the pleasure in welcoming you back again please request a quiet room.
Emma Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
yorkshire
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed 2 years ago. This time stayed on 2nd floor facing Castle Street, previous stay on 3rd floor facing on to monument and L1. Didnt enjoy this stay as much but it is still a nice contemporary hotel and we got a very good rate this time. Lovely reception area. Room spacious with large comfy bed and seating area with leather suite as on previous stay. Enormous full length mirror. Clean. Some niggles this time...attention needed to the creaking floor...very loud and over quite a large area, difficult to avoid...problematic in the middle of night when creeping to the bathroom but annoying also during the day.Cant believe that this has not been noticed as it was so loud and over a large area. Design fault with the sink, very little room between taps and basin which made it hard to get water into kettle. Very dark room...subtle lighting for relaxation but difficult to apply make up in either bathroom or main area. Sparse complimentary tea, milk, and toiletries. They do still give comp bottled water though. Had a problem with shower screen which wouldn't stay closed when showering so water all over floor...staff understanding/approachable and assured they would rectify. Be mindful that the bar and restaurant is closed on Sunday after breakfast. Wouldnt have a problem staying here again, if the rate was right, but it does seem to have lost some of its attention to detail, special touches which had set it aside from many other hotels.

Room Tip: Room facing monument on the corner of the hotel has a large, light bathroom. Also gets lots,of sun.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Many thanks for your constructive review regarding your previous stay at 62 Castle Street.
I am thrilled you enjoyed our boutique hotel as a whole – we love our listed building and its authentic character.

Regarding your maintenance issues, thank you for bringing these to my attention. I have passed them onto the maintenance team who are currently ensuring no stone is left unturned when it comes to the finer details of our guests’ expectations.

We do hope you have the opportunity to dine with us on your next visit at our Merchants Bar & Restaurant- our Afternoon Teas are simply wonderful and the atmosphere as bubbly as the champers.

Kind regards
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed for two nights mid week in a third floor room. The room was a good size with the welcome addition of a sitting area. Our room over looked Castle Street and the hotel's entrance which was a bit noisy at times (just the usual city/traffic noise) which would be resolved by double glazing. However, I think that the hotel is a listed building which is probably why this has not been done.

The room was well equipped but it was a shame that there were no plug sockets next to the bed for phone chargers etc. The bathroom was good but the main problem was the shower head which was the right height for me being 5'6 but would be much too low for a taller person. The bed was very comfortable and the a/c unit made the room nice and cool on a humid evening.

The hotel corridors were very quiet and there was a bar/restaurant next door which we did not visit. The hotel is very well situated for the attractions of Liverpool and the discount voucher for the Q-Park car par at Liverpool 1 was handy and cost us £18 instead of £24 for the duration of our stay.

The main negative about our stay at 62 Castle Street was the fact that we were woken up on both mornings at approximately 6am by a vacuum cleaner being put round by the cleaners in the hallways and possibly other rooms. Whilst I understand that cleaning is important, I have never been woken up by hoovering at any other hotels I have stayed at and certainly not at 6am!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at 62 Castle St, I appreciate your comments reference the plug sockets and the height of the shower and will take them onboard for the future.
My apologies you were disturbed at 6 am, I can offer no explanation for this noise but can assure you it was not a vacuum cleaner as housekeeping does not commence until 8 am.
I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Liverpool
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I really was desperate to love this hotel as I had read the fantastic reviews. It was a (very) rare evening away for my husband and myself, a treat that we last had almost 4 years ago, so we were hoping for special. Unfortunately we were disappointed. Although large, the room (209) was cave-like and stark with no opening windows, the welcome was reserved and rather un-Scouse-like, and the breakfast was underwhelming to say the least (hard, cold croissant anyone?). Rather bizarrely, the shower head was extremely low, too low for my 6ft+ husband, and when I wanted to have a cool shower as it was an uncharacteristically hot day, the shower only had warm-hot water??? Liverpool itself was a revelation and we can't wait to go back, but, needless to say, we will be staying somewhere else......

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SugarRoseBakery
I am most concerned and embarrassed to learn of your unsatisfactory stay. I have spent time reviewing your feedback with my Management Team, who wish to be associated with my apologies to you. I have also responded to you on a private basis.

It remains our goal to ensure all of our guests receive the highest standard of customer service and I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Liverpool in the near future, allowing you the time to experience the levels of service many of our previous guests have enjoyed and left such positive feedback demonstrating this.
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely time the room was very well equipped and had everything you would need as well as being a touch of luxury and very impressive. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, and internally the hotel was really peaceful and private feeling. Only negative that the staff didn't seem as well informed as they could have been, when checking in insisted i hadn't paid in advance when in fact I had, and the room keys required reprogramming every day.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for such a lovely review of 62 Castle St. I am overjoyed you had such a wonderful stay and we have to agree, the beds are ridiculously comfortable!

I’d like to assure you all discrepancies with reception have been ironed out and we ensure each and every member of the team is fully informed of our days ahead. Apologies for the problems with your room key – we can programme them for your full stay for your convenience and leisure.

I do hope you will choose 62 Castle St on your next visit to Liverpool and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards,
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Been going for many years and my first return in a while. It has aged well. Shower heads are still a little low and the room was a little musty with no opening windows. But the a/c chilled the room and it is my number one choice when I am there. Such good value and location. Avoid San Carlo opposite though, for food. There are much better places in Liverpool.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on a living social deal. DBB, cocktail and bottle of prosecco included for £99 so it was good value. I had high expectations having read reviews on TA and had good reports from a friend who went before us.
Check in was not as welcoming as expected. No banter or explanation of the deal or where anything was. The room was 'tired' and altho very large on 2 levels, it could have done with an update. Stains on old teak table, scuffs on walls, marks on carpet, stains and cracks in bathroom and very dark in the evening.
The meal in the restaurant was excellent but breakfast was disorganised and the waitress couldn't be bothered. We arrived to find no tea or coffee or orange left on the self serve bit. The waitress looked disgruntled when we asked for fresh coffee and orange. The cups were chipped. Cooked breakfast was served to table and quite good tho.
We were going to stay a 2 nd night but went to indigo instead. Complete contrast and would highly recommend that hotel. I think we were probably unlucky with the room and that coloured our opinion. I would stay again at the deal price but not rack rate. On a lighter note, kenny the night porter was great craic!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Jane B
Many thanks for your constructive review. At 62 Castle St. we pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service and also our guest experiences. I have raised your issues with all team members to ensure that each and every one of our guests receives the same exceptional standards.

Regarding your maintenance issues, they have been handed over to our maintenance team who are ensuring all of our rooms are as beautiful and as quaint as our exterior. I have brought any discrepancies regarding breakfast to the Head Chef’s attention who continues to ensure all of our food quality reflects the kitchen’s hard work and the beautiful fresh and locally sourced produce that we use.

We passed your warm comments onto Kenny who continues to be ‘great craic’!

We do hope you choose 62 Castle St. again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Liverpool.

Kind regards,