“Fab Stay at No 62”
Review of 62 Castle Street

62 Castle Street
Ranked #52 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I spend our first visit to Liverpool staying at No62 and we were not disappointed. Hotel was to our taste - traditional building but modern rooms with character in plenty of space. On arrival, parked in small street opposite hotel until we found out how to get the parking at The One (receptionist gave me a map to find it). First room offered I felt was too dark for us - a wonderful big room with two windows but they were small and covered with dark wooden blinds overlooking rooftops - just too dark and moody to spend four days and nights in - and of course that is just my personal taste. My other half wouldn't have minded but I do like to have a nosey out the window when I'm on my hols so reception kindly allowed us to view another room facing the front which we choose even though it was probably a little bit smaller - it was brighter and looked out down towards the shopping area. Difference was of course that we heard street noise late at night/early morning but this is to be expected and it didn't bother us. So, just to let you know - bathroom - very well appointed but design over substance with the very shallow sink but beautiful just the same - I appreciated the design touches. Bed was comfy as were the big squashy chairs and I enjoyed getting ready at night listening to music from the TV (or music system if you preferred). Bed was super comfy and room was warm. A lovely full length mirror with a spotlight under it - nice! Alongside the tea and coffee in the room was yummy hot chocolate for your bedtime treat! Breakfast was good with a full choice of continental and then your choice of cooked items brought to the table. I was able to choose my favourite two poached eggs and toast and they were lovely every time! Evening dinner was much better than we could have anticipated - nicely presented and ate all of it every night - the pork belly with pak choi was my favourite - I had it twice during the visit! My husband paid extra for the steak and judged it to be very very good and cooked just as requested. Just don't ask what the Soup Of The Day is as it became our running joke - it was tomato or cream of tomato every night.! We had a deal which offered dinner bed and breakfast with cocktail "on arrival" which I cheekily asked if that was available every night (which it would be if you had guests booked on single nights!) and I was told no. However, the barman brought us our cocktail to the table on the 3rd night? A glass of rose was available at an ok price and went well with my meal. Jugs of water were offered every night which was kind and well appreciated - not everywhere would do this. The decor is lovely and makes the most of the traditional plaster and wood work whilst keeping it modern chic looking. The staircase is super with chaise long or chairs on each landing. Liverpool was great and some of the things we did included: Beatles Matthew Street for photos and a visit to the Cavern - do go down..drinks are pub/hotel prices and you may catch a really good act. We saw/listened to a John Lennon tribute which was great and made our visit Also went to the Albert Dock to the Maritime Museum, the Museum of Slavery and the Tate Modern and took a spin on the Liverpool Eye for photo opportunities. Walking was great in that area and we went right along to where the modern cruise ships dock (one was in when we visited) and then walked around the Liver Building and the Cunard Buildings. I am a sucker for buildings you can tell! Not to be forgotten was the great shopping and not just in The One centre but in smaller centres around surrounding streets - you'll find Vivienne Westwood, Flannels, etc and much more including all the designer names. No-one appeared to mind if you were just having a browse. Finally, there is a small Tesco metro or express just across the road where you can pick up your chilled bottle of wine (or other tipples etc) to sip in your room as you get ready of an evening - then pop down for your cocktail or after dinner drinks at the bar. This stay was a lovely treat for us and was well worth the £99/night we paid for the deal. Would I recommend it to you - as always, it totally depends on the type of thing you like but if returning to Liverpool I'd go back to No 62 Castle Street in a flash! In fact I've already told a family member (who is a lifelong Beatles fan but has never been to Liverpool doh!) to get down there and enjoy it!
PS for houskeeping - we found 2 blackcurrants rolling under one of the seats when I moved one to get a better view of the telly - one of which I stood in but luckily did not spread it to the cream coloured carpet. Eee yuck - furniture really should be moved/cleaned under especially at changeover but I didn't like to complain about this as this was not the room we were intended to have and they were accommodating in moving us when we asked. It did not spoil our stay - these things happen but if it were not for this then I would have scored higher for cleanliness.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front will get a bit of street noise which is inevitable in a city and if this might bo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed positive review of your recent stay at 62 Castle St. I am thrilled you enjoyed the benefits of our special wine and dine offer and am pleased to say it will be extended to later in the year. I appreciate your comments regarding the rooms and am pleased that we quickly and efficiently arranged a move for you. My apologies that housekeeping was not up to our usual high standards, this is an area that we generally pride ourselves on delivering such high standards
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us at "no 62" on your next visit to Liverpool.

There are newer reviews for 62 Castle Street

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Just had two nights here on an amazingly good deal thanks to the Mr & Mrs Smith 2-for-1 offer with the Guardian and Observer. But would have stayed even without the offer, after reading reviews of the place. And was not disappointed.

I travelled with a friend and we each had a Master Double on the third (top) floor. The rooms were enormous and palatial - jaw-dropping in fact. Mine had a huge and comfortable double bed, two leather arm chairs facing a large flat screen tv, a table and two chairs, a desk and another chair and acres of space in between. A large and modern bathroom as well. There were also tea/coffee making facilities and a little music centre - which oddly played cassettes! But who has cassettes these days?

There were one or two minor design flaws, like the uber modern and very shallow basin in the bathroom - so shallow you couldn't help spilling water on to the bathroom floor when washing. And the tap was at such a low angle that it was impossible to fill the kettle - had to fill up from the bath tap instead. One other problem: the air conditioning/ heating in my friend's room was faulty so the hotel provided her with an electric fan heater (it was a cold weekend), but that didn't work either.

But apart from these things we really loved the place and would stay again. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel's location is perfect - very near the docks (and a lot of the museums and art galleries) and the Liverpool One shopping area, but still away from areas that are noisy at night. It's in a grand building (a former bank) and is a very comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Master Doubles are the biggest and most impressive rooms. Always ask for one on the top floor to avo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for leaving such a positive review on your recent stay at 62 Castle St, its always pleasing to read that our guests enjoyed there stay and would recommend us to others.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Staff excellent and room comfortable,compliments to Mark at the bar in particular. We used a voucher and despite initial difficulties in getting a date Emma came to our rescue with later alternative dates. Thanks again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear KeithandJune
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and provide such positive feedback on 62 Castle St. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service to all of our guests and I am pleased you were able to experience our high standards during your stay. I will ensure I pass this feedback onto Mark and the team.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I wrote this email to the manager two weeks ago I'm still awaiting a reply, obviously customer feedback is not important!

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to make a complaint about the absolutely awful stay my fiancé and I had at your hotel several weeks ago. She had booked a room as a little getaway for us and to top the weekend off I was going to propose. It was supposed to be a weekend to remember, it was..for all the wrong reasons.

Check in was fast; Linda was a real help telling us about local restaurants etc. The room was ok, it was lovely when we first opened the door however upon looking closer in the room we found rotting grout, chipped tiles and rotting window sills. We didn’t say anything as apparently you were full.

We decided to eat Merchants, another mistake, our food was ok, a little flavorless, however service was abysmal. When we complained to the manager he was rude, obnoxious and obviously had better things to be do. Not only did he disagree with us he actually argued with us saying we were wrong (which is surprising as I didn’t see him throughout the night until we asked to see him). It wasn’t the best impression of the restaurant.

Fortunately, the night porter Sam was a little more optimistic. He was very helpful getting us milk and teabags, of which there weren’t enough of in the room, a great representative of your business. Please give him our thanks.

Unfortunately our good service didn’t last, as breakfast was absolutely shambolic. We stood and waited for 15 minutes at the bar, looking for a member of waiting staff that never showed up. We had to knock on the kitchen door. We were directed to a table and again had to wait another 10 minutes until someone came near us. We were the only two in there, so the waiter couldn’t have been busy.

When breakfast did come it was awful, low quality meats, cold toast and bitter coffee. When we complained to the waiter, he was a tall gentleman, polish I think, he just shrugged it off. No offer to replace the items or even an apology.

Checkout was less than impressive than check-in. I didn’t catch the receptionists name (glasses long black hair), however she did not smile during the whole process. It seemed like we were a burden to her. We didn’t get asked how our stay was otherwise we would have complained and to be honest she didn’t look like she cared anyway.

There are a few gems in your hotel unfortunately the bad far out-ways the good and you go away with a bad impression. This was a truly appalling experience and it ruined what was supposed to be a special weekend.

I look forward to your response.

4  Thank johnm_1986

Dear Johnm_1986
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. Guest feedback is very important to me, I did not receive your email so apologies that you have not been responded to. My apologies that you did not receive the service standard that we usually pride ourselves on delivering. I would like to discuss these matters further with you and would appreciate it if you contact me directly.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I frequent Liverpool often and this was my second stay at 62.
The staff are friendly and extremely helpful.
The rooms are always ready on arrival and although they may be a little dark it is in keeping with a GradeII listed building...........
The beds are very comfortable, the pillows divine and the sheets are extremely clean and crisp.
This Boutique Hotel is in prime location for sight seeing and local attractions, with all the best restaurants and bars within walking distance.
If your looking to add a little luxury to your stay, then this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Opt for a master double. They are well worth the extra.
1  Thank jade g

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 62 Castle St, it is always pleasing to read our guests have had a pleasant stay and have enjoyed the facilities that we are proud to provide.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Having stayed at the hotel previously in a lovely spacious room, I made sure I booked a Master Suite rather than a House Suite which was great value at £109 for two nights thanks to a Mr & Mrs Smith/Guardian 2-4-1 offer. The hotel mistakenly put us in a House Suite which whilst OK (spacious, big comfy leather armchair, nice big bed - but a bit dark and had windows that wouldn't open) wasn't what we'd booked. When we highlighted the mistake they sorted it out and allowed us to choose one of three alternative rooms (Master Suites this time!). The new room (302) was lovely, loads of space with a lounge area that would seat 4 people and nice windows and a view over Castle Street and Derby Square. Location is ideal for docks area or city; Liverpool One and the MetQuarter are just a short walk away if shopping is your thing. The Merchants Bar and Restaurant is good value for good quality food, but lacks atmosphere. Needs a touch of music! Only quibble would be that there are quite a few stains/damp patches appearing in the plaster work both in rooms and the public areas which makes the place look a bit unloved. The staff are very friendly and efficient and check in is easy and pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose a Master Suite for bigger spaces with more light. Rooms at the back overlook a dark narrow st...
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Very friendly service, very helpful - great value, have stayed in Liverpool many times - would stay here now as my first choice

Room Tip: Great rooms on floor three!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 469jon
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear Jon G
Thank you leaving such a positive review, I was thrilled to read you had such a great stay and 62 Castle St is now your first choice in Liverpool.
We do look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.