“The only thing I can't give 5 stars for is the price.”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #35 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“The only thing I can't give 5 stars for is the price.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Regular visitor to Liverpool and try to limit my hotels to this and hotel indigo. Both wonderful places. Top, top food and fantastic service. Maybe it's just the scouse banter but no matter how posh the hotel the staff are always friendly and up for a laugh. The only problem is that it's so very expensive. If you can afford it, it's worth it.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is our three other Malmaisons, and were hoping for the same sort of standard here in Liverpool. Sadly, after this weekend, it hasn't lived up to the others.

Upon check in, our room wasn't ready so we were asked if we'd wait in the foyer and offered a complimentary drink. We didn't mind waiting, as there was some very interesting people watching to be had .... there was a big boxing match on at the Liverpool Echo Arena and various boxers, judges and promoter to be seen. (Eddie Hearn and John Conteh amongst others)

Our room was declared ready, we'd been given a room with a river view apparently. The room was OK, but frankly a disappointment. The theme was black and orange, but the black throw on the bed was not clean, and there was a discarded teabag wrapper under the dressing table, and a plastic wrapper under the bathroom dresser. Ah, the bathroom. We'd been given a room that was suitable for someone in a wheelchair. Now, I have a severely disabled sibling, so I have nothing against this type of room, but I think we should have been told when booking in - there's nothing to dampen a romantic stay more than handlebars etc round the loo, loads of pipes visible under the sink and orange panic handles!

That said, the bed was comfortable, if not the king sized bed we'd expected, and two holes in the sheets. The TV channels were limited to the usual 1 to 5 plus Sky Sports and the TV screen was disproportionate for the size for the room, ie too small.

The final nail in the coffin was the fire alarm going off not once, but three times from 10 o'clock in the morning. Is this the Malmaison Liverpool way of getting guests to leave early?

1 Thank auldreekie87
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here, short but sweet just for one night to celebrate my birthday.
the rooms are beautifully decorated huge bathroom with shower and separate huge bathtub. nice touch with the bathrobes (they were a little stiff if im being really picky)
rooms are very dark yes but this is just the theme of the hotel. reception area is beautiful with the big open fire thingy :)

would definitely stay again , however would definitely NOT have anything from the mini bar ! two bacardi and cokes in a can £11!

1 Thank jess c
Oxenhope
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Malmasion states that they dare tobe different, they are but not to my satisfaction. Thelocation is perfect but the decor is definatley not to my taste.nearlyy everthing , carpets walls and cielings are dark aurbergine. It may be classed as subdude but it was so dark I had to light my phoneto find anything on th aubergine dressing table. The staff at breakfast need training they walked back to the kitchen without clearing away dirty plates and even brought my breakfast and left the cerial plates still on the table before I asked for them to be removed. My fault but I left my toilet bag and phoned the hotel and requested that theypost them onto me and debit my credit card this was on the 23.03.13 and on the 30.03.13 I had not recieved it I phoned the hotel te see if had been sent, it had not. I drove back to Liverpool to collect it a round trip of 180 miles. Very Dissapointed.

London
Reviewed March 27, 2013

i booked the friday night cocktails and room deal for my girlfriends birthday on the 22nd. on arrival we were a bit surprised to find that the hotel didnt have its own parking, however this wasnt a major problem.
the hotel itself at first glance seemed quite impressive, and certaintly abit out of the ordinary. however if you took the trouble to look you could see that the paint work in the corridors was starting to get a bit tired looking.
having said all that, the food that night was great. the staff were friendly and the serviced was great. in fact the only thing that lowered the tone of the night were some of the customers who dressed like they were eating in Mc Ds.
we would deff be staying again but on one condition. NOTE TO MANAGMENT...when the check out time is midday, we would appreciate it if the cleaners didnt bang on the door at 9.30 (as they did to us on the 23rd).....especially after spending the night in your bar!!

Room Tip: the rooms with the river view are worth the extra money.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I usually stay at the Marriott when away on business however a friend was up here and had heard good things about this place and was staying here, so I decided to!

As soon as I walked in I was absolutely impressed by the decor and how the hotel looked. It was not at all like a normal hotel with the typical colours and awful yellow and red carpets, this was something else!

I checked in, the staff were very friendly and explained where everything was such as breakfast etc.

As soon as I got out the lift I was greeted with a glowing blue fish tank and a dark ambiance - it was like a baddies cave in a bond film - I really liked it! It was not so dark that you cant see but not so light that it was blinding!

The room, well I think the photos I have uploaded says it all! amazing decoration and quirky little signs. Very generous bottles of shampoo etc and an amazing walk in shower which felt like being under a waterfall!

Free wifi was also a good point (marriott does not have this!)

The breakfast was good, I ordered an ommlette which was brought to me but there was a wide selection of continental breakfast!

I will definitly be staying here over the Marriott when in Liverpool from now on. Only gripe is that they do not have a rewards scheme, but to be honest just how the hotel is makes up for it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony R
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We arrived on the weekend in March when it was snowing heavily so it was very welcoming inside the hotel with its big featured fireplace in the reception. Check in was reasonably quick and efficient.

Our room was well furnished, though a bit dark, as others have commented. There was a bottle of red wine on the side table, priced at £13.95 which, when compared to typical bar prices for glasses of wine, was actually quite reasonable. However, we noticed a few faults with the room. A light pendant was missing its light bulb, a bulb in the ceiling lights was also non-functioning, the electronic safe was broken and one of the towels in the bathroom had a very big, brown stain on it.

The bathroom was very nice with a large and deep bathtub that could easily accommodate two people – which, incidentally, was one of the reasons why we chose this hotel. There were large bottles of toiletries in the bath room – but no shampoo – with a note asking guests to take them with them, which we did.

Sadly, we were unable to dine in the brasserie on the first night as it was completely full but we were able to find a table in the bar and order food from the same menu as the brasserie, minus the service charge. The food was nothing short of excellent so we booked a table in the brasserie for the following night.

When we got back to our room, all the faults I mentioned above had been rectified, which was excellent customer service – though, of course, they shouldn’t have been there in the first place!

On the next night, we dined in the brasserie itself and found that there was an extensive “specials” menu that looked more interesting than the printed, standard menu. So, we both ordered starters and main courses from the “specials” menu. Like the previous night, the food was excellent and this was obviously why the brasserie gets booked up so quickly. It was also full on this night, too.

Breakfast each morning was served in the brasserie and we had no problems getting a table even during the so-called busy period. Breakfast is ordered from the waiter and served at one’s table, rather than from a buffet. You can’t help yourself to as much as you want with this arrangement but I generally find the quality of food cooked to order is much higher, as it most definitely was here.

Our room was quite cold on the second night so a member of staff brought us a convector heater which helped keep the room warm. I am finding heating problems like this at most hotels at which we have stayed recently – including our recent stay in Paris. It always seems to be the same kind of unit and controls.

All the staff that we met, seemed like locals and all were very keen and pleasant.

We would definitely return to this hotel again.