“Expected more from a Malmaison!”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #37 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It was just okay really - Room was nice but very small. The bar furniture has seen better days - quite tatty crushed velvet, and the entrance with it's "living flame" fire was something straight out of "The Only Way Is Essex." I stayed at this chain quite a lot about 15 years ago when they were new and only had a few hotels (Manchester. Newcastle and Glasgow) They were really eclectic and ground-breaking back then. Apparently the 'red haired' bloke out of Simply Red was a co-owner/shareholder so I heard - But I expect everyone else has caught up with Malmaison and some have obviously now overtaken them in the boutique hotel stakes - Like I said not bad - but a little cheesy as opposed to eclectic these days. Staff were helpful and friendly though. Parking overnight was extra (about £9) Had a great night out in Liverpool all the same - which I would heartily recommend for a 'city break - The big sprawling "Gangster wedding party" taking place in the hotel restaurant possibly didn't help matters either - So didn't stay for the food. It was an offer I quite easily refused!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a 'dock view' otherwise your looking at grimy traffic and a horrible bui...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I have recently returned from yet another fantastic two nighter at the liverpool Malmaison. We were celebrating the hubies 4oth. Everything was up to the ususal standard, with a good deal on the suite. fab deals in the restaurant, ,enjoying 50% off,plus 4 free cocktails. The staff were very friendly and at my request put some 40th balloons and banners in the room,which they didnt charge us for. We have re-booked fro valentines weekend. Can't wait.Close to the town with loads of fab shops.

Room Tip: we have been a few times. All the rooms have been great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my boyfriends birthday an the room was really nice had a really large bath and a shower,the decor was gorgeous in my eyes, we ate an had cocktails all in all it was a lovely time spent here and would recommend just wish it was a bit closer to pubs/bars

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

A group of six of us stayed here for a weekend. The hotel was lovely.

Breakfast and dinner was lovely, good selection.

Gym facilities were satisfactory.

Rooms were nice. Beds were comfortable. Hotel decor was unique which was nice rather than the boring standard colours.

Car parking can be an issue - we left the cars in a car park which is next door however it was a bit pricey but that's what you expect with city parking.

It's about a 10 minute walk into the centre.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Hotel was the venue of our post-Christmas Christmas party. Convenient multi-story car park ( all but empty and easy to park) next door. £10 reasonable for an overnight stay and even better that upon returning to the car we were charged only £2.50! Grand looking reception area but the overriding influence was that it was very dark - a theme that would continue. Table service in the bar area but they got in a right confusion over who had had what even tho the group wasn't massive and I was too honest when being asked what we'd drank. I got more change back than I should have though so that kind of made up for high drinks prices. Double room was very nice, but very dark due to the colour scheme. Heating wasn't working though - called for someone but it wasn't fixed all night. Hallways are very dark but we liked the Beatles memorabilia and Muzak on our floor. Ate at the private party and the food was very good but I don't know what they charged. Bathroom was very nice - open shower area creates a wet room kind of feel. Breakfast in the morning was ok. Had to order hot food and then the continental breakfast was buffet style. Only thing big about the breakfast would've been the price at 14.95. I had an excellent pastry though. Staff all very friendly and helpful but again the breakfast area was quite dark and felt like an evening meal than a bright and breezy breakfast.

We enjoyed our stay but I imagine we'd have found it very overpriced had we paid to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a lovely friendly, hotel with great service and lots of smiling staff. It is a bit dark in places and probably not somewhere you'd want to spend a week but it's fantastic for a short stay and very good value.

And they have breakfast cooked to order rather than the usual buffet offerings - so much better to have freshly cooked food than things that were put out the night before.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, checked in and went straight up to room after seeing bar prices! (£6.95 for 175ml glass of their cheapest wine!). Room far far too dark - even with all lights on. Black Walls, black furniture, dark purple carpet and blind. Few stains on the carpet - yuk! Blind didn't keep all the light out but no curtains. Bed comfortable but no blankets in room - it was a very cold night despite having my room heating on. Also no chair st the dressing table? And in the bathroom nowhere next to the sink/mirror to put yr makeup bag as all of their free toiletries, tissues etc are covering the surface. I've stayed in various 3 and 4star hotels, and because of the cost I really expected malmaison to be something special but unfortunately it was just average and I don't think offered value for money at all!
Breakfast had a good continental choice, but being vegi I asked for vegi sausages and was told they didnt do them. Settled on mushrooms tomatoes and toast. Was served two small flat mushrooms and one tomato, along with 3 slices of toast to share between two people.
Such a shame as I was really looking forward to my stay.

• Stayed: January 2013