Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
member101
member101

Great Hotel

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Feb 20, 2008
We stayed at this hotel Feb 16th for one night - everything about the hotel was great. The rooms were lovely, the service was friendly and the breakfast was really tasty. We had a good deal £139 including breakfast, beatles tour and anfield tour - however there was no mention of the tours when we got there. This didn't bother us as we got the room cheaper than last time and this time we had breakfast!
I am looking forward to heading back to liverpool and stopping at the Malmaison again.
Date of stay: February 2008
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
0.8 miles from Malmaison Liverpool
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Liverpool
3,906 results
All reviews river view huge bath walk in shower princes dock wet room car park next door lovely hotel mini bar liver building cooked breakfast standard room city centre reception staff a lovely stay comfy bed reception area afternoon tea
Selected filters
Reviewed February 19, 2008

As previous reviews suggest, I think you are either going to love it or .... er .... not!

It does indeed have quite a distinctive style of decor as others have described. It IS dark ..... not good for your gran with cataracts, if you know what I mean!

It has GREAT bathrooms - again see earlier reviews, which I won't repeat - good staff and wonderfully comfy beds, room fridge (take your own drinks cos the bar etc is not cheap), ln room safe, hairdryer, good freebies in the bathrooms. We liked the reception/lobby area a lot (sort of Batman gone a bit Gothic) and we liked the bar (London prices, mind you, so you wouldn't stay there all night unless you are rich).

The river facing setting is good. I prefer it to the very centre of the city (much as I love the old home town). However, do be aware that it does not front directly on to the river Mersey but is behind the dock and you can see the river just behind. Now, the dock is fine enough - well, when it is full of water that is. At the moment, it is drained and full of muddy sludge and construction equipment while a canal is built to link everything up to Albert Dock etc. When that is finished it will be worth the extra for the river facing rooms, in my opinion, but for now I might not bother with that. We did have a river room and I would guess that makes the bedrooms lighter.

It's an easy walk to Albert Dock, Mersey Ferries and a short taxi ride to most nightlife (some eg Newz within walking distance though).

We'd go back there as we thought it was great but I have to say that if I was there on business rather than pleasure and wanted to work in my room and/or sit by myself in the bar then I'd look elsewhere eg Crowne Plaza next door.

Minor gripe was the noise level on the corridors - Saturday night clubbers coming in early on Sunday morning - but I know that would be likely anywhere in central Liverpool.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Almatt
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I booked this hotel for a business stay based on it's reviews. I would say "refreshingly different..if a little quirky at times". The hotel has an intimate feel to it, very nice bar area and excellent restaraunt. I booked the dinner inclusive deal and was impressed by the choice and quality of the food, much of which was locally grown. Bar and restaraunt service was very good. The room was spacious, the decor maybe not to everyone's taste but the bathroom was rather special. Large oval bath and waterfall shower...very nice. And they supply large bottles of toiletries and an invitation to take them away! My room was quiet, the bed was a bit hard but that's a matter of taste. I had a good night's sleep nonetheless. I really enjoyed this hotel, often business hotels are instantly forgettable, this wasn't for all the right reasons.

Reviewed February 18, 2008

We usual avoid 4/5* hotels in England as they are usually a disappointment for what you pay and for the standards of service you get compared to other countries but this hotel was a very pleasant surprise.

It's a very stylised hotel and I can see why some people haven't been over keen on the design but I really liked it. It's very warm and our room was beautiful but comfortable.

All of the staff we came across were extremely helpful and genuinely interested in us. Breakfast was great and the bar was a nice place to sit and have a drink. I will definitely stay with the chain again.

As for Liverpool wthis was a nice surprise as well. Lots of renovation work giong on but really beautiful old buildings and lots to do. Despite being Barnsley fans and having beaten Liverpool the day before (!) the Anfield tour guide was still very friendly towards us and it is definitely worth doing for anyone interested in football, if not Liverpool FC. Had a great curry at Mayur.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I was somewhat underwhelmed by my stay at the new malmaison in feb this year, having stayed in a couple of hotels in liverpool now as a regular traveller for business and pleasure the delivery of a decent product was poor at best.
I felt that the hotel lacked atmosphere and personality, staff were just plain down in the dumps when interacting, service in the restaurant and bar was laboured and extra mile would only refer to the walk to the car park. Had a couple of service issues during my stay and would point out that problem resolution is not a strong point in this hotel
positive being reasonably pleasing on the eye as new

Date of stay: February 2007
1  Thank bric7
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I was very disappointed having read all these reviews. As a businesss traveller I found the bar very dark and over bearing, alright if you are there with someone you shouldn't be. The service was non existant. The bedrooms whilst new are again very dark and had very small windows that let in very little light.
Views of the road and a large multi story car park meant you could be in any non descript hotel.
Restaurant quiet which I would suggest tells it's own story.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Barry_Baranfanger