“FANTASTIC”

Ranked #39 of 194 things to do in Liverpool
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A remarkable attraction in an unremarkable area of the city. Here is an extraordinary collection of tunnels and chambers commissioned by 19th century Victorian industrialist Joseph Williamson. His motivations for the work are still a mystery, but guided tours among what's thought to be just a small part of a much wider network offer plenty of insights.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Have wanted to go there for years. My Mum who is from that area told me off them years ago and they sounded fascinating. What a great man Wiliamson was, that a man could be so eccentric as to think about digging tunnels that go no were and just to give the unemployed work to keep them from literally starving. My daughters took me as a surprise birthday present. It was an experience I will never forget. As all the work is done by volunteers is truly remarkable and has inspired me to find the time to volunteer myself. Well done everyone for keeping this site open and as a part of Liverpools history should get funding from somewere for this really interesting and important site.

1  Thank col237
"liverpool history"
in 14 reviews
"minute tour"
in 5 reviews
"fascinating place to visit"
"knowledgeable guide"
"great guide"
"worth a trip"
"couple of hours"
in 6 reviews
"williamstown"
in 68 reviews

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Five of us visited ranging in age from 11 to 59. We were a little disappointed at the small amount of tunnel open to the public, publicity had led us to expect more. What we did see was fascinating but, unfortunately, our guide failed to distil any enthusiasm. The facilities, whilst acceptable, are rather shabby and the visitor experience would be better if the building had received some TLC. Convinced that there was more to learn I purchased a DVD and watched it at home. Had our guide been able to convey some of the information from the DVD in a more coherent manner the whole experience would have been greatly improved. Worth a visit but dont expect too much and be sure to buy the DVD to fill in the gaps

2  Thank Ian C
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Recently visited the Tunnels with my wife. We had driven past the sign so many times over the years saying we must go there, so we finally decided to pay a visit. It was Bank Holiday Monday, and was very quiet. we arrived at 10.30am in the small and a bit cluttered car park. check in was fine, and we received our hard hats for the tour. There is a small cafe area serving reasonably priced drinks and snacks. Jackie was our guide and very good she was to. It was only my wife and I so it was easy to hear all Jackie was saying. The whole tour in the tunnels you are walking on scaffolding and boarding, so it was perfectly safe.
It was very interesting to hear the story of how the tunnels came to be. The skill and artistry of the builders was amazing. Even though no-one was planned to ever visit them, the brickwork was excellent. Part of the tour tunnel has been replaced by a concrete one, which was explained by Jackie. You could almost see into the cellars of the houses which had been built in later days, and can even see piling rods to support the houses above.
There are a few stairs to negotiate up and down the scaffolding, but nothing too serious, just like a normal set of stairs in a house.

2  Thank PhiloWarrington
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We did the tunnel tour as a team day out for 14 of us from our creative agency in Manchester. We'd clocked the tunnels on the 7Streets website and thought they looked fascinating. Anyway, it was a great tour - truly fascinating and quirky - but the high point definitely was Rachel, the utterly brilliant tour guide; she's awesome!

2  Thank SteveConnor
See more reviews
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I heard about these tunnels from an old Liverpool man in the 60's and 70's and was fascinated by the sound of them but I never thought I would one day be able to visit them. Last summer my friend and I went to see these tunnels and were fascinated by the brickwork and the ancient artefacts which was being unearthed. It is history coming to life and shows the social culture and life of the time.
Yes, the tunnels are being unearthed but this adds to the interest. Indeed I would love to do some work there and find the hidden treasures from bygone days. Anyone who writes negative comments does not understand why these tunnels were built or appreciate our past. This was the original 'work experience' for the vast unemployed of the day. Well worth visiting, we are definitely going again.
Just would like to say perhaps it is not suitable for wheelchair users or very young children but definitely for people who want to see history being unearthed.

1  Thank Ruby K