“Lovely Hotel shame about service”

The Richmond, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #34 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Brough, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel shame about service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

A nice hotel a few minutes walk from all the action in town. Slightly pretentious trying to go for high end boutique style but almost pulls it off!
First impressions were very good, nice reception and bar//restaurant, lovely room with a big soft bed, maybe a little too soft. Nice shower room.
Decent breakfast.
Negatives: a bit of street noise in the early hours this being in a mainly student digs location.
Nice food for evening meal but slightly small portions so you need 3 courses ! a real let down was the restaurant service which appeared to be chaotic at times, staff didn't appear to have a system of service so we constantly overlooked and left waiting ages between courses. This was a shame really as it could have been so much better. Having to go up to the bar to ask for service/drinks/bill isn't what you expect. I would have ordered more drinks if the staff were more attentive so they missed out there.
Nice hotel for what we paid on a special offer but not worth full price.
Would recommend this hotel if they sorted out service. maybe we were just unlucky in that respect.

1 Thank tafferelli
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write and glad to hear some great positives. A real shame to hear we didn't meet service expectation, this is something we feel we really focus on, so very disappointing to hear. Certainly your constructive comments gives us the opportunity to address this with the team.
We try and focus on the fact that our number one asset is our team and service, so we do sincerely apologise when we don't achieve this and hope to improve and learn from this.
I do hope this wouldn't stop you from returning, as we will continue to strive to improve.

Kind Regards
Steven Hesketh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Burnley, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed one night , in town to see Four Tops .Arrived late , booking in easy and staff very friendly and efficient .
The room was beautiful and very comfy. Breakfast was excellent , loads of choice . I would highly recommend this hotel - the only drawback is the one way system - we must have driven past it 10 times !!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mags357
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Maybe ive been spoilt, staying in some really nice top standard hotels. This hotel to me seems confused on one hand they are trying to be a posh hotel but then selling deals on living social etc which attract a very different crowd. The rooms are basic no better than a premier inn, the windows were filthy and the net curtain was actually grey with dirt. The bathroom was nice but wasn't clean as toothpaste marks all over the tiles.
We were kept awake by next doors tv and I don't think it was even that loud. Then you get the wake up call from the 4am drunks.
Breakfast was good but you are in the basement so no windows felt very canteen like.
The spa isn't in the hotel but across the road.
Imagine premier inn/ibis with nicer communal areas but don't expect a posh four star. That way you won't go far wrong.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katy_Craig
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The hotel is wonderfully located in Liverpool.Both the room and the meals were beyond expectations for a Living Social deal...We chose the steak for dinner and it could have been cut with a fork..The bed and general items placed in the room made our sleep perfect..We will certainly revisit this hotel again

Room Tip: When you visit this exciting and Vibrant city..Try this hotel
2 Thank notgold
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The best thing about the hotel stay was the evening meal, the staff at reception told us to turn up for dinner and that we didn't need to book as we had a voucher. The restaurant staff were honest with us and said that there would be a wait as reception hadn't booked us in, this was a little disappointing however the meal was divine so more than made up for it. We each had steak cooked to perfection and it was the perfect portion size! The room was wonderfully decorated and the location was ideal for exploring Liverpool. We found the other guests quite rude to be honest as none of them would sit near us at breakfast. Although this is a nice "posh" hotel, the prices are not ludicrous so a mere working class person can afford it much to the dismay of the "upper class" guests! The staff were helpful on the most part and very down to earth and the guests were not so if you read
a bad review try to question the integrity of the person writing it! If you're a normal person like I am you will be very pleased with this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank danni_atkins
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

The Richmond is a well run quality hotel comprising of numerous appartment style rooms. Ours was clean, comfortable and well appointed. The fact that one of the lightbulbs wasn't working over the course of our 3 days stay didn't spoil our stay but was indicative of a lack of detail from the cleaning staff. I'm sure it would have been replaced of we had mentioned it. The hotel lacks a residents lounge but the food seating is good. Breakfast is excellent but the dinner menu is limited. All in all, great value for money if you have a voucher deal.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia J
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

We booked the hotel for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We managed to get a deal from a social site where you get bed, breakfast and £25 each towards dinner and a bottle of wine on arrival.

When we pulled up outside we were impressed with how nice the building and entrance looked. I walked inside and found my way to reception where I was advised that I could hand my keys to the concierge who would park my car in a private car park for £15 per night which I thought was a nice touch. The concierge was sweeping the steps but was very pleasant, helped unload the car and then drove the car round to the car park.

The receptionists that we dealt with throughout our 2 night stay were all very pleasant and helpful. The decor of the reception was very much in keeping with the grade II listed building but with a modern twist which was nice to see. Quite classy looking without looking tired.

We were told that we were in room 162 which was located on the 1st floor. The room itself was very nice. It had all the essentials including a 50" smart TV and a cafetiere which I've never seen in a hotel room before.
We were told in the literature that we had wifi in the room and internet services on the TV which was a welcome feature. The first thing I did was turn on the TV and saw that we had Internet, Netflix, Youtube etc.... I tried going to the netflix app to see if I could login and get access to our Netflix account. The TV said that it couldn't connect to the Internet. I then tried the wifi on my phone. The signal was there, but there was no connectivity. I left it at that and thought I'd mention it to reception on our way out.

The bathroom was a nice size with a heated mirror the full width of the wall. The shower was a "rain" shower type.

On our way to dinner in the hotel restaurant, I mentioned to reception that the Internet in the room wasn't working and they said the router probably needs resetting and that they'd sort it for us.

The restaurant:
the decor was to my liking, again in keeping with the rest of the hotel and looked clean and tidy. But I expected it to be a lot more like a "fine dining" restaurant. Instead, there were TVs on that were mounted above the bar and there were also punters sat at the bar drinking. I would have expected the bar area to be separate to the restaurant. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with this but just not what we were expecting. A lot of higher end hotels we have stopped in do have a separate bar and restaurant area.
The food wasn't the best I've ever had and not the worst. It was average to say the least. I had a chicken risotto and I expected some creamy, flavorful risotto. Instead, it was quite dry and tasteless.
I was a bit confused by the £25 per head food voucher that we had each. I can't exactly remember what the cost of each item was but I had my risotto and some fries. The wife had her meal which had a supplement added on and she also had a side dish. Both of our food came to well below the £25 each but we were still charged for the supplement and extras even though the cost of food was below £25. Also, drinks are charged on top which I could have half expected.

We got back to the room. Still no internet services.

Breakfast in the morning was very nice. It was buffet style with all the usual suspects, bacon, sausage, beans, hash browns etc.... as well as cereal, juices, fruit and yoghurt. I do love hotel breakfasts (especially after a few drinks the night before)

During our first full day there we used the spa which is just across the road from the hotel. The spa was very nice and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. There is also a gym there which we didn't use.

Next door to the gym is a "Central Perk" coffee shop which I expect is an officially licensed one from Warner Bros. We went in there one early evening before heading into town. I had a beer which was really nice. The atmosphere in there is exactly how you'd expect it to be in Friends. Everyone was just chilling out with coffee, cakes and beer and enjoying an episode of Friends on the screens. Every town and city should have these and they should be open 24/7 :)

The 2nd evening we went into town for some dinner and entertainment. Pizza Express was our choice of dining and then went over to the Cavern Bar. This is the sister bar to the well known Cavern Club. the atmosphere was great, there was also a live band and was intimate. Although I was there with my wife, we got chatting to some guys from stag and hen parties that were in there. They weren't rowdy but were just very happy and were having fun dancing and taking in the band.

OK, long story short. (too late for that). The hotel is very well kept and the staff were great all at a very reasonable cost. For the cost, you shouldn't really expect too much. But because of the staff and the condition of the building and interior you feel like you are in a much more expensive hotel. I think the only 2 things that let it down for us was the evening food and the fact that despite having mentioned the Internet not working about 4 times during our stay it was still not fixed by the time we left.

Oh, one last thing. Due to the building being grade II listed a lot of the pipework and plumbing can't be moved. So any time someone above our room went to the toilet, flushed the toilet or showered it really sounded like there was water running inside of our room it was that clear and loud. Which did actually disturb our sleep on both nights.

I wouldn't let this put you off staying here though as the hotel has so much going for it and the staff are excellent. We would stay there again.

Location is also very good. Just a 5 minute walk down the street until you are at the shops. Only a 15 minute walk to Albert Docks.

1 Thank David S