“Opulence eat your heart out”

The Richmond, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #34 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed with friends for a rare escape from the kids and did not want to leave. And not because of the kids! From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special, both from the smiling staff to the luxurious rooms. We stayed in a junior suite which gave us a front door with two doors beyond it - one to a double room with ensuite bathroom, and the other into a suite with ensuite shower room. All areas were spacious, well equipped and incredibly plush - and the best minor detail of all? Real filter coffee :-) :-) :-) (Ive fallen out with many a hotel who have tried to fob me off with Nescafe) We had no need for the kitchen equipment but was impressed by how self sufficient you could be if you were staying long enough to not choose to dine in the restaurant, or if you had young children with you who needed food or milk prepared etc. The hotel have suites with 3 and 4 rooms beyond initial door too so ideal for larger groups or families who want to be in same area.
We had pre dinner drinks in our lounge area and lost track of time finding our way around the huge smart TV! And I could even kick hubby into the bedroom area to put the footi on his own TV then watch what I wanted because the suite has two 50" smart TVs! Room service was immediate and no trouble whatsoever.
We ate in the restaurant and had a good banter with the staff. The steaks were cooked exactly as we asked, and I thoroughly recommend the squid starter. Melted in the mouth.
Breakfast had a good variety of food and a few individual requests were accommodated very quickly.
We used the spa both days and despite having to cross the road to do so (opted out of wearing our robes for this!) found it to be a real hidden gem. Felt like we could have been anywhere in the world (no offence Liverpool!) and totally lost track of time.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting luxury and relaxation and whom like me, think a smile goes a long way.

Room Tip: At last - a hotel which offers rooms within a room to suit large groups
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Madk
There are newer reviews for The Richmond, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My first trip to Liverpool and the Richmond hotel was a perfect choice for my stay, the hotel is very well presented modern and extremely clean. Staff were all very pleasant and were happy to help with any queries we had during our stay. A little disappointing that you can't check in till 3 o clock although they do keep your bags in a safe room if you get there earlier and wish to leave the hotel to walk into the city. Impressed with the room although a little basic if you were planning on staying for a long period of time but for a couple of nights it had all you needed, was cleaned to a very high standard. The bar has a lovely atmosphere, with reasonably priced drinks. Overall was a very enjoyable stay right in the heart of Liverpool city centre.

1  Thank Beth P
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had a 2 night stay for my sister's hen do. We had 2 apartments and a double room. We stayed in one night and one apartment was spacious enough for us all to be together! The rooms were lovely with all mod cons and really comfortable beds. It was central for shopping and a night out. The spa facilities were also luxurious, a real treat. The staff were really helpful booking taxis etc. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Cakezilla
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The location was good about ten minute walk if that to Liverpool One.
A very attractive looking building was a very warm welcome when I arrived in the rain. All staff were friendly and efficient. The room was clean and very well equipped. The standard double room had luxury modern interior but kept the old elegant feel by having high ceiling.

The outstanding positives: The shower was incredible and the best hotel shower I've seen, it was a large rainforest shower head, which was walk in. The power of the shower also was very good.

The 50 inch tv was an epic! however for a technology lover, I found it impossible to work the SMART capabilities of it; not a huge negative for a one night but it seemed that the hotel manual with the hotel details were on it which would of been helpful to read.

The main negative has been outlined by other reviewers which is the plumbing, when a toilet was flushed the room would feel like a tidal wave was coming through it. Which meant it did disturb my sleep.
The only other negative I spotted was that the walls were pretty thin, I could hear next doors TV quite clearly.

All in all for the price it is very good, I liked the luxury it provided but probably wouldn't stay again because of the plumbing noise

Room Tip: rooms on top floor or higher up may be quitter ??
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank WhiteTiger20
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for the weekend, and we can not complain about anything, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, room was lovely and huge heavy bath towels provided and the food was good too, everywhere nice and clean.
Great central location would stay here again without question.

2  Thank joanne t
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We booked a standard room which was quite small so we upgraded to a suite for £15. This room was massive with lounge, dining and bedroom areas . The hotel is in an old building with a lot of character , high ceilings etc but modern conveniences.

There was a little bit of damp in our room but this did not detract from the stay.

Overall a nice hotel with very helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thanks very much for your lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards
Steven Hesketh - General Manager

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I returned for the evening with my young son who wanted a hot chocolate - I called the number stated on the info on the tv - no reply, I rang and rang - eventually got through to reception who said there was a live band that night so the phone couldn't be heard!!!!! I asked for two hot chocolates and was told there was a £5 service charge!!!! I then went to make a cup of tea - no milk, so I called down and after almost 25 minutes someone answered the phone - I asked for some milk and they said that someone would bring it up. I then settled down to read my son a story, turning off the glaring overhead light only to find that the side lamps had no bulbs in!!! I called down AGAIN as the milk had still not arrived, requesting that some bulbs were put in the lights! I then decided to have a black coffee - only to find that the coffee provided was for a cafetier - guess what???????????? No cafetier - yet ANOTHER phone call, eventually the bulbs, milk and coffee were brought up, with a free hot chocolate for my son!! In the morning, I washed my hair, the hairdryer broke down after a few minutes and there was no mirror to use - I shall leave the rest up to you - but this excuse or a hotel ruined what could have been a nice weekend with my little boy!

Room Tip: Don't bother...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Emmadisappointed

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments, naturally they are extremely disappointing and we take on-board all comments from guests, and will learn and improve from your experience.
In respects to your contents of the complaint, the Hotel does have a solo artist playing each Saturday in the Brasserie, our room service tray charge is £2.50, and our Housekeeping team are usually very vigilant with ensuring our standards are maintained, so I can appreciate that your experience has been marred in line with your comments.
In closing, we sincerely apologise for your experience and hope you appreciate this is not the standard we would expect our guests to endure.

Kind Regards