“No Birthday Surprise?”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gecko mediterranean queens square
Reviewed January 21, 2013

When we eat out in Liverpool city centre it will inevitably be for a special occasion. We've never wanted to make a fuss of the event though, and have never before drawn any attention to whatever special occasion it may have been.
This time however, our daughter booked the reservation online and included "Mum's 50th Birthday" at the point where it asked her "was it a special event"?
Then when we arrived at the restaurant the pleasant girl who greeted us commented straight away on the fact it was a birthday celebration.
So we were sort of expecting them to do something about the fact it was indeed my wife's 50th birthday.
But it was never mentioned again, no freebies, no fuss, no nothing.
Now I should point out we were not remotely bothered by this, and as I've already said, we don't normally want any fuss anyway. But it was certainly a bit strange the way they went to the trouble to ask the question, then mention it again when we got there, then follow it up with nothing.
Why bother asking the question in the first place?

Anyway, the place is nice and has a great menu with lots of stuff I'd like to have tried even before we got to the main part of the menu. So many bread, cheese, olive and charcuterie options, all of which sounded really good.
But all of us in our party of four went for the usual starter and main meal option. We all agreed it was decent enough, but nothing special, but we did recieve excellent service from the young man who dealt with us.
The wine and beers were good and reasonably priced, which helped with the poor atmosphere in the place, though that was nothing to do with the restaurant itself. It was a freezing cold, snowy, post Christmas Sunday night and not many people were out anywhere to be honest, and we were the only people in the place for the last hour or so of our visit.
We would go back, but we'd think carefully about what we choose from the extensive menu because as I already said, there was plenty on it that looked really tempting.

1  Thank IanRoberts

Reviewed January 18, 2013

went to Gecko with a group of friends for an early dinner, before a show at The Empire, Never even knew it existed, but was very pleasantly surprised. We had missed the ' before six' offer, but the waiter said didn't we have the 50% off voucher? unfortunatley we didn't, but he very kindly said he would 'sort something out' for us, and true to his word, when the food arrived, he had.
The menu had lots to offer, but as we were pushed for time we didn't have time for a starter, but there were lots of yummy things we would love to have sampled. We had a job deciding on the main, with three of us ordering various burgers, one lamb tagine and finally sea bass. All of our meals were cooked to perfection, very tasty and nicely presented. We requested some water, and a jug was delivered, and topped up for us.
The decor was fresh, modern and comfortable, all in all areally nice eating experience.

1  Thank katychops
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Lovely restaurant, modern and stylish! Lots of choices on the fantastic menu, a real variety of Mediterranean foods! Even an extensive olive menu! We chose a number of tapas type dishes to share... They were all stunning! Every dish was full of flavour and wonderfully presented! The wine list was quite extensive and reasonably priced... We had a lovely bottle of Pinot! The service was friendly and efficient.... I really couldn't fault a thing and will definitely be returning!

1  Thank DebH13
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I first came across Gecko with friends when we needed a quick meal before seeing a show. Luckily we got into Gecko and said we were pushed for time so we were served and finished our delicious meals within the hour. The decor, staff and food were lovely. We all agreed that we would all definitely like to go back when we had more time especially as we had no time for a starter or dessert. I knew that Gecko was so good, I had to go back with mum as she would love it.

I found a good reason to take mum one Saturday lunchtime before a matinee at The Dome on Renshaw Street. Gecko was quiet which was a shame but I think it is only because people don't know about it. It is so handy for Lime Street train station and Queen Square bus station, shops and the Empire and Playhouse theatres.

I was right and mum did love the restaurant. We shared a very generously proportioned flatbread to start. No way could anyone manage a whole one! Mum had a portobello mushroom and halloumi burger whuch she loved. She chose chips with her meal which I just had to help her with. They were lovely. After choosing ratatouille and cous cous the first time, I thought i should try something different. Being vegetarian, it is really nice to find a restaurant where we are spoilt for choice. This time I had the biggest bowl of linguine I have ever seen. Definitely no scrimping on portion sizes at Gecko and definitely no chance of finding room for dessert either. We settled on coffee.

The decor and seating are so nice it is well worth even just popping in for a relaxing drink. As we were on our way to the theatre, we got 30% off our meal. We paid £20 for the shared starter, two soft drinks, two meals and coffees. Good value for money here. Great service. Lovely food and so much choice. I don't know what to have next time I go. It is most definitely my favourite place to eat.

2  Thank SuzanneWirral
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Have eaten at Gecko several times now and it's always good - consistently well-prepared, fresh food in generous portions, and friendly, helpful staff. There's a good range of Mediterranean-style dishes including a few vegetarian choices. The atmosphere is informal and the place is clean and smart - ideal for eating with friends or a romantic night out, and the prices are very reasonable, too. I wouldn't say the food was amazingly original - hence four stars not five - but overall it's a great place.

1  Thank B T