“Lovely atmosphere and great food”

Blackburne House Cafe
Ranked #352 of 1,833 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: African, Contemporary
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The main courses are wonderfully warming on a cold day, but the cakes and puddings are to die for. I tend to go at lunchtime, but an early evening pre theatre meal is a good idea as it is handy for the Philharmonic. Since the sad demise of the Everyman the cafe bar has filled the vacuum

2  Thank LesleyReith1

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I paid for a plate of four different vegetarian salads £4.95 although recently the portions have got smaller each time I have eaten there, it is a convenient location. They used to serve good sized salad portions but now they have reduced them and they don't contain any protein ie no nuts beans, rice etc. I thought the price was expensive for a such a small plate of food and asked the waitress for more runner beans as she had only given me six, she begrudgingly added a few more. I was very pleasant to her and thanked her.

The couscous and aubergine dish tasted very strange but thinking it could be a spice I had not had before I took a second mouthful. When it hit the back of my mouth, I had to run to the ladies to throw up, it was horrendous and slimy. I took it back and before I could speak the miserable new waitress turned her back on me and went into the kitchen and fetched the boss.
The boss came out and went into the kitchen with my plate and having agreed it was bad, she scraped it off my plate and I was left with three salads. Not very happy, I sat down to a very meagre lunch, and was left hungry and with a horrible taste in my mouth. The boss came over and said she was surprised that I had manged two mouthfuls as she could only manage one and that was enough for her. I was sitting with friends and this compromised my ability to comment further and it was only when I left did I realise how much better the customer service could have been.

3  Thank Sara186337