“Like faulty towers!”

Ranked #42 of 77 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Like faulty towers!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Avoid! The rooms look ok on first inspection but they are not!! The beds are awful you can feel every spring! It's just not a nice place to stay at all! Their was a big dog barking and lots of loud men downstairs. it was just like faulty towers! We won't be returning!!

• Stayed January 2013
29 Thank Lucyintheskyr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

A group of us stayed here on Saturday night 21 girls to be exact, we were given a very warm welcome off Marion and made to feel totally at home nothing was too much bother, we met Patrick later before venturing out to the city centre and he was very helpful and made us feel very welcome we were all given free drink before we went out. We hadn't booked breakfast but were told it wasn't a problem all they needed to know was how many to cater for. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the hotel the bar area is nicely furnished and has a lovely conservatory and outside seating area, not that we used it the snow made sure of that. We were a bit noisy returning to the hotel in the small hours and woke the lady who lives there but this wasn't a problem. We all had a lovely stay and just to let Patrick know the boots turned up.

Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Maz39
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having booked my sons into this hotel for two nights i feel the facilities that were advised was not available,the 24hour bar and the games room was both closed due to the lack amount of people staying in this 8 room hotel,also no breakfast was available because it wasn`t booked,surely when booking in they should of been told breakfast had to be booked the night before,when paying for these facilities as well as room they should have been provided.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank margaret b
Farnborough, Hants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My partner and I booked for 2 nights, with some reservation on my part having seen some of the reviews. I'd been there years ago and remembered the place and remembered Patrick..... and yes he is loud and very straight talking, but that's just a typical Irish-man for you.

Anyway we arrived on Friday afternoon after a 5 hour drive, Patrick greeted us personally with a welcoming free drink and had a print out of my email with requests on it. He made sure I got what I wanted without any problem. We spent a short time in the guests sitting room/lounge with Patrick and had a bit of a banter with him and another (Chinese or Japanese not sure which but certainly of Asian origin) couple who were checking in. We ALL had a laugh at the language barrier between the couple and Patrick ...can you imagine?? Irish & Asian conversation?? It was all in good fun with me offering to be an interpreter and the other couple were not offended in the least and had a good laugh also. Yes he did want £10 key deposit - having run hotels myself I can fully understand this. Why people have a problem with it I have no idea, this is not the only place in the UK that has such a rule.

Next off to our room. Marion (lovely Scottish lady) showed us there making sure we knew where everything was and checking that everything was ok for us and nothing missing/forgotten in the room. So far so good

Room 3 is gorgeous, nice comfy double bed, leather sofa, large bathroom with shower over the bath (I requested this). Clean (I checked under the bed too!). Gorgeous views of the garden at the rear then looking over Stanley Park to the City and Liverpool/Wirral skyline. Plenty tea/coffee/milk/sugar etc. Lamps in this room are made out of old coffee grinders and are gorgeous .... I wanted to bring them home!!

Went out for a while, met Patrick in the car park and had another fun conversation with a few jokes thrown in. Also met his German Shepherd dog (Tiger) who is gorgeous, well behaved, friendly and quiet. Came back later in the evening and met Sheila (charming, friendly, chatty Scouser). Had a natter with her then off to bed. Great nights sleep and lovely and quiet. Up on Saturday morning, didn't have breakfast as my partner was on the hunt for Scouse so can't comment on breakfast. Was out all day Saturday, back to Room which had been cleaned, and restocked with more tea/coffee etc, absolutely no problems.

Sunday we got up, packed up, checked out, said goodbye to Marion. We arranged to leave the car in the car park as we wanted to spend a while in town - not a problem. Half an hour after check-out we decided we would spend another night. I rang Patrick on his phone and arranged (with a discount thrown in!!) - again no problems. Went back to let Marion know we were staying and not to do our room, but she was adamant that she was doing it so it was lovely and clean again with fresh towels etc.

On the Monday we had to leave very early in the morning for the long drive back (3am departure) - again not a problem. Key deposit was given back to us when we returned to hotel on Sunday night. Met Sheila gain and had a lovely half hour chatting again and met Mr Darcy (Sheila's young cat). As Sheila knew we were leaving very early she even offered to make us some toast and tea before we went to bed (free I might add!)

We loved our stay here and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. We will definitely be going back.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel don't go. If you are looking for a clean, comfy, FRIENDLY, place to stay that is close to town but far enough out to not have all the traffic and noise then go here.

Wi-fi is free throughout the hotel. If you don't want breakfast in the hotel there are loads of cafe's nearby (we would recommend Vicky's). To get to town there are buses every ten minutes from Walton Breck Road (2 mins from hotel). Anfield is also 2 mins from the hotel and there are loads of pubs if you want a drink. At the hotel there is free, secure parking. Drop your car there when you arrive as you really dont need to use it to get around.

If you require a taxi use Delta taxi's - very very cheap (their number will be on your room key tag). I got taxi from Stanley Road back to the hotel which is a couple of miles and it was £2.50. yes I did say two pounds fifty!! You ring them and book, they text you back immediately with your taxi description, registration number and time of arrival. Excellent service, good cars, pleasant drivers and very cheap.

For people who comment that the area is run-down, yes some of it is. There are houses that have been lying empty for years because Liverpool FC have bought them with a view to demolishing them and extending their ground which is taking far longer than anyone ever imagined it would. This does not reflect badly on the hotel and is actually not right next to the hotel - you will find that that street has some lovely houses and all are occupied.

Room Tip: Room 3 is fantastic and has great views. Apparently so has Room 5
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank yakkety-yak
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have other photos to display but can only upload 3.

I would strongly recommend that only people with strong stomachs stay here.

The hotel is very unclean I can only upload 3 pictures to show the evidence.

The manager needs to take a course in Hotel management as his attitude and manners beggar belief

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
22 Thank Ivy W
Patrick_EpsteinHouse, General Manager at Epstein House, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Epstein House. The team and I were disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.
I have looked through the system and can see that you haven't made a compliant regarding this matter.
I invite you to email stayinliverpool@gmail.com. So I can carry out a full investigation.
Regards,
Natalie

Travelers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

You pay for what you get !!!

Upon arrival met by the young friendly cleaner who could not help enough (thought this was a good sign); checked in room, which was room 1; clean what you expect for £25 per night. Towels, soap, tee, coffee, kettle provided, free wifi.
Clean sheets and bedding; shame mattress was stained and past it, needs throwing in the skip, such a bad nights sleep!!
Also missing light bulbs in the bed side lights, nothing has electrical PAT stickers on.

Went out for a bit then met the owner Patrick AKA Paddy McGuire. Not met by a nice welcome but a rant "you owe me money, I only accept cash and you need to give me £10 deposit for the room key. My thoughts complete WA**ER!!!!!

Next day met a South African lady manager; lovely. Like the young girl very help full.

Nice place, great location, shame Patrick is such a KN*B HE*D!!!
Manners Cost Nothing !!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view over Stanley Park (the back of hotel)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Cheshire_Lady_1984
Patrick_EpsteinHouse, Manager at Epstein House, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Chesire-Lady-1,
Thank you for your recent review of Epstein House. I have shared your kind comments with the rest of the Team.
I have also noted your concerns, I have carried out a thorough Investigation and inspection.
I thank you again for your feedback and assure that the issues which you raised will be acted upon.
Kindest Regards
Chatham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Recently stayed in Epstein Hotel for 2 nights with 2 friends. People come here because of its famous history. Home to Brian Epstein as a child.
1st welcome to all of us is collect money for what it cost over 2 nights.
Never a please or a thankyou from this jerk at any time here. Basic manners non existent !
He demands in a forceful, blunt approach that he wants cash (tax man won't know about it)
One of the guys only had Cards for paying yet he rudely ask my other friend to pay for him in cash then he can pay him back. How rude, shambolic & unprofessional.
This is the experience provided when we arrive !
Go up to room. It was alright. Bathroom wall light had a lot of dust !
Three of us had only 2 towels. 1 large, 1 small. That was'nt enough.
Asked him politely for more towels if spare. His reply: 'You can share a room together but you won't share the towels'
After getting that off his chest he said that maid/cleaner would take up fresh towels to our room. (they never did arrive)
Because of this none of us showered. If one used the shower, the towels would be soaking wet/used. Unhygenic for the other 2 to shower later on !
In the lounge, manager was talking about getting the room ready for a party that had been booked for later on to a female staff member.
He kept using swearing words right in front of us, whilst talking to her as we sat down waiting for a taxi to go into city centre. Irish prat is disgraceful. She was a pleasant lady who was probably a nervous wreck because of this A-Hole !
The building was wonderful, a town house with spacious lounge & diner with all the Beatles memorabillia on every wall. He has to run it like this !
His attitude must be:
I'll talk like a scum bag, really don't care what people think, i'll always have people walking through these doors because its connected to The Beatles & near to Anfield & Goodison Park. Disgusting behaviour from a manager !

New