New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool

Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool
Ranked #49 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Little Things That Matter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We booked a Business Class Room, but found small details lacking: well-stocked mini-bar but no bottle opener, no bathrobes (although latter quickly supplied after call to reception), problems with the card key. The fridge emitted a most repulsive smell, and led to us being "downgraded" to an ordinary room.
On the plus side (which certainly outweighed the minuses), clean room, very comfortable bed, good bathroom, good choice of refreshments, and an extremely good breakfast selection, with attentive service.
Car parking very restricted at the hotel, so had to use the Capital Car Park several hundred yards away.

Room Tip: Ordinary rooms are exactly the same as Business Class rooms minus the Nespresso machine and bathrobe...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
LBAZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to read that we missed out on making your stay excellent due to little things not being up to standards.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our standard room and that breakfast the next morning was excellent.

I hope that if you decide to visit Liverpool again in the future we will be your preferred Hotel.

Hans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed here because I am a Club Carlson member and got a cheap deal using some of my points. We found it easily and had to park at the ncp just a short walk away (the hotel car park was full). Decided to have a drink at the White Bar in hotel before choosing where to eat. Most helpful and attentive barman at the bar suggested we go out of hotel (as only bar food - the restaurant was not open on Sunday evening). He recommended italian restaurant, San Carlo, five minute walk away and we were not disappointed - see separate review! All staff very pleasant. We were on 5th floor (523) and had view across the Mersey. Yes, the duvet/quilt on the bed was slightly small for the king-sized bed but it didn't bother us! Best bit was meeting Rafa Benitez in the lift of the hotel. If it's good enough for him!!!

Room Tip: As said above, King bedded room (523) had good view over Mersey and docks. We could see the ferry g...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review and for giving us such great scores.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service at the Bar was helpful and attentive. I can imagine that meeting one of the previous Liverpool FC Managers in the elevator was a special unexpected experience.

I am very happy that we have been able to contribute to a "Great Valentine's" and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

North Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We chose the Radisson Blu this time over the Malmaison across the road as we had had such a good experience of the one in Birmingham. Thankfully, we didn't choose it to accommodate any business clients, as it would have been really embarrassing. The bathroom was OK and had nice looking toiletries and the black out curtains were good, but our room (521) was clearly outdated and the bed, for a hotel of this standard, was dreadful. It was large, yes, having been made up of two singles pushed together which is not unusual. However, the mattress was old and sagging and a weird board had been put underneath it in an attempt, I expect, to make it more comfortable. The bedding was even more weird - cheap pillows and a disgusting bobbly and grey quilt stuffed into a cover that was too small for it (see photo). The quilt was too small for the bed. It looked more like a bed in a cheap hostal in Barcelona. I really don't like to complain, and we wanted to enjoy ourselves, but we had to go down and say something. The receptionist politely showed us another room, but it was exactly the same, with the same saggy bed. The receptionist admitted that the rooms were in need of renovation, as they were eight years old and would have offered us a better refurbished room if one had been available. We were offered an extra quilt to put underneath us (!) We compared it to the quality of the Malmaison and she explained that that hotel was only two years old. That might be so, but it didn't make our weekend any more pleasant. She offered us instead, a complimentary drink at the bar, but when we went down and looked over at the bar, it was full of blokes watching football on a giant TV, which didn't look too inviting to me. When we checked back later, it was full of blokes watching a boxing match. At night we could hear the couple next door. It's not that they were being overly noisy, it was the fact that our room was adjoining and there wasn't adequate soundproofing between them. There are other things I could point out that I don't think were up to scratch, but I think a decent bed is paramount and for £145 a night I expect to be comfortable. I wish we had booked the Malmaison instead but we might as well have stayed at the Travelodge.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. I didn't see them, but it seems like the good reviews are...
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review. Please accept my personal apologies for the poor experience of your last stay.

I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that our beds did not meet your expectations.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail with me I would be pleased to speak to you.
Please e-mail me at hans.konings@radissonblu.com.

N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here on the 26th Jan for 2 nights, as a couples break and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Reception Staff were very friendly and informative. We had arrived quite late in the evening and yet check in was very quick and pain free after a hard days travelling.
Our room on the 8th floor (business class) was huge with beautiful views over the Mersey. Everything was perfect, and very very clean.
Decor was beautiful too. I loved the size of the beds as well as the attention to detail in the room itself. Cake for our arrival, water, slippers and a coffee machine, mini bar and snacks.
We went out the first night, for my birthday and arrived back at the hotel for 2am. We spent time in the hotel bar and again the staff were excellent. We spent a long time chatting to John the Security Guard and he was lovely. He recommended places for us to go and really made us feel at ease. A true gentleman compared to other security guards.
Breakfast was magnificent! We decided to have it in our room after our late night. It arrived right on time and I can honestly say its the best Hotel breakfast I've ever had. Sausages, bacon eggs, cooked to your liking, toast, beans to name a few of the items we had! All freshly cooked and still piping hot!
We had lunch in the restaurant that afternoon and again it was very very good.
Keep and eye out for meal deals on at certain times of the day too, but I wouldnt say the prices they do charge are expensive, all very reasonable for a hotel.
I loved this Hotel, its very modern yet extremely comfortable and inviting. The location is excellent to the City Centre, everything within walking distance (shops, clubs, bars and culture).
I had left some toiletries at home due to luggage restrictions and had resigned myself that I would have to wait to the following morning, but was delighted to see a Tesco Metro and Sainsburys a stones throw from the Hotel on the night we arrived which stays open to midnight.
I really cannot fault this Hotel, my only wish was that we had booked it for our third night stay, instead of the other famous Hotel in the area, that was twice the price and had far less to offer.
I will definitely return to the Radisson Blu, its a credit to all its staff and management! Well done and thank you for making our trip so memorable!

Room Tip: Our room on the 8th Floor (business class) had stunning views over the docks and the Mersey. I cann...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
LBAZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent excellent review, I was really happy to read that throughout the whole hotel we have exceeded your expectations.

I strongly believe that individual members of staff can really make a difference and impact the overall guest experience. You have exactly highlighted that in your review and I would like to thank for you for that. Your review has been very motivating for the team.

I am looking foward welcoming you back to Liverpool in the near future.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Reception efficient and friendly. Hotel clean and modern. Room modern and clean good size. Television as in most hotels did not display the channels as described (sky sports not working) Bar area good efficient friendly service.. Breakfast on the Saturday morning good choice but lukewarm better on Sunday when restaurant was busier. Why only a four slice toaster for a full restaurant surely they can run to a better solution. Again service was friendly and efficient . Overall a good experience would recommend

Room Tip: Go for business class with view of docks
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review, I was very pleased to read that you liked the decor of the hotel and your room. I was also happy to read that the service and quality of the White Bar met your expectations.

Please except my apologies for the temperature of the breakfast food on Saturday morning. That should not have happened. I have reviewed our breakfast procedure with the kitchen and appropriate action has been taken.

Thank you very much for recommending us.

dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Staff were excellent. Hotel facilities and rooms were lovely with a nice bar. Cleaning of rooms was a bit slap dash and done very late in the day (5.30pm for our room!), missing attention to detail (tea cups didn't match), no clean glasses on the second day, things you would expect from such a hotel! Swimming pool is functional.

Location is superb, out of the centre but just a 10 minute walk away! Would definitely stay here again!!

Need to improve Wifi coverage... signal was very patchy on the 3rd floor!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for some of the service inconsistencies that have occurred during your stay. I have addressed these internally and we will use your feedback to fine tune our operations.

I was very happy to read that overall you had a fantastic stay and that our staff were excellent.

I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon during your next visit to Liverpool.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I use the Radisson Blu hotels througout the Uk and I have to stay that I found the Liverpool one to be below the standards that are set elsewhere. Although on the face of it this hotel is good there were a number of issues we encountered. The hotel only has 2 lifts and one of them was faulty and it could take upto 15 minutes to get a lift (not great when you are on the 7th floor). The bar was advertising live sports but when I asked for it to be put on I was told the equipment had been taken away weeks ago. The hotel room was like a oven and the air conditioning did not work. The mini bar was empty and the free water you get elsewhere in the Blu hotels was not supplied.
On the plus side the view from our room overlooking the Mersey was great and the staff were friendly,helpful and as always in Liverpool greeted us with a smile.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
LBAZH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I would like to apologise for the poor experience during your recent stay and will be using your feedback to address the technical and service issues you have raised.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the view from your room and that you found the staff friendly and helpfull.

I do hope that you continue to choose to stay with us in the future.