“Great hotel”
Review of hope street hotel

hope street hotel
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Stayed on Thu night for business. Room was great, spacious 4* boutique style and quality, with great bed and superb bathroom (with bath).

Had a meal in the restaurant. The dinner was one the best I have had for a very long time (and I do get to eat in some pretty good places) - with locally sourced, largely organic ingredients.

The staff and service both in the hotel and the restaurant were first class.

This place made my stay in otherwise disapointing Liverpool a joy. I loved it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,117)

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Hope St Hotel is a small, but extremely stylish hotel opposite the Philharmonic Hall. This makes it handy during Graduation Week, but you need to book early. There is a small omfortable lounge at reception, the rooms are elegantly modern and minimallist, the "best" rooms also have impressive bathrooms. Breakfasts are modern traditional, with carefully sourced ingredients, and good coffee. The restaurant is excellent in the evenings too, but expensive. The downstairs bar serves a range of dangerous cocktails. If you want to make your stay in Liverpool special, do consider the Hope St Hotel.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

Location is good - being a five minute walk from the city centre and about 15 minutes to Albert Dock.

We booked a basic double room which we got for £115 (excluding breakfast). The room was a decent size and clean, although there was a smell of damp in the bathroom. There was no bath but the monsoon shower was very good.

The bedroom furniture was ok although the layout of the desk (being on the opposite side of the room to a mirror, made it difficult for my girlfriend to get ready before we went out for the evening and in the morning - not something you'd expect in this class of hotel. Nor was there a fridge, safe or air conditioning, there was a fan in the room but this was broken and the room did get very warm. The bed itself was excellent, very comfortable and gave us both a good nights sleep.

Parking is £10 a day at the hotel, but it was full so reception directed us to one adjacent to their own which looks like some wasteland. It was free though and the car was still there in the morning.

This is a decent hotel for an overnight stay. We would have gotten frustrated had we been staying for more than one night and paying the higher room rate, but for what we needed it was ideal.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed for two nights in July 2008 at the Hope St as a base to explore Liverpool/Southport/Port Sunlight.

It is great looking hotel -inside and out- in a good and lovely location (though the reception/front door being in Hope Place rather than Hope St proved hard to find), handy for Lime St and Central stations, the docks, cathedrals etc.

We had booked a basic price room(£115 without breakfast) but were not warned it was right next to their extension building work/noise which started at 7am; fortunately they were able to move and upgrade us for the second night. It is a beautiful old building and it has been converted with great style. The room space was great with an excellent large, comfy bed and the bathroom fittings are top notch. Heat/lack of AC was an issue, though the fan did provide great white noise for sleeping and hiding snoring!

The hotel brasserie was not open in the week but we treated ourselves to a meal in the very stylish restaurant. I found this really disappointing- though to be fair my partner thought I was being too picky. I think it got off to a bad start with me as no-one told us the liver dish was off until I tried to order it and had already started salivating.The service was extemely slow - it took an hour between our order being taken and us getting any food. My more tolerant chap said this was because we didn't have a starter but I can't see how this created such problems for the kitchen - or why no maite de spoke to us re this. The food was more style than substance and expensive I think the main issue for the hotel is the seeming lack of training for the mainly young staff in both the restuarant and elsewhere- we used the bar for afternoon coffee/drinks twice and both times had to actively seek out staff to place our order though there were plenty of them around and unengaged, but totally ignoring us.

Although the management responded to our concerns about the noisy room I cannot conceive of how they thought they could let this room to anyone in the first place.

Perhaps we were unlucky, we have friends who have used this hotel frequently, love it and have had no concerns.

We loved Liverpool and could well go back- whether we would stay again at the Hope St I'm not so sure.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank JLCgladstone
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Have just returned from a 2 night weekend break at the Hope Street Hotel and enjoyed it very much. I found it via a link from the Tate Liverpool gallery website which gives you a special rate of £105 for a twin room if you are a Tate member, though this doesn't include breakfast. The rooms are very classy, beautifully decorated and the hotel is in very good location on a smart, quiet street that links the two cathedrals in Liverpool so if you stand outside you can clearly see each at either end of the road.

We didn't eat at the hotel as it seemed quite pricey but can recommend 'The Quarter' cafe which is just opposite in Falkner street for a very reasonable breakfast.

The staff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful, fresh milk was bought up immediately when we requested it and they always seemed happy to help.

On the downside, the hotel is being extended and our room did look out onto the building work though this wasn't a problem since the builders didn't work weekends! Also some of the minimalist fittings were a pain to get to work eg fancy light fittings, confusing tap/bath controls and no drawers for underwear/socks. Also the bathroom is fitted with a frosted glass door to the bedroom right in front of the loo which looks great but makes one feel a bit vulnerable! The shower though, once working, was brilliant and the waffle towelling robes also a delight.

I would definitely stay here again - there are lots of cheaper places in Liverpool but some of the roads were very seedy and this one is in a very cultured area (The Royal Philomonic Halls are also just opposite) and is very smart and different.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunflowersusan
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Stayed there on business Mid Week. Found the hotel very comfortable, the staff very friendly. The rooms are crisp and clean, great bedding and amazing bathrooms. I spend most of the evening playing with the contact less light switch in the bathroom (how does that work... anyone??) Breakfast in room was great, had the "Liverpool Breakfast" their turn on a British Breakfast. loved the place and would certainly come back again

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank blatsea
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Lovely hotel but stay spoilt by dreadful service in restaurant and bar.

Stayed for one (Saturday) night in a lovely room, well decorated with a superb bathroom. A welcome bottle of champagne with tea/coffee was brought to our room on arrival.

Breakfast on the Sunday morning was brought to the room and was excellent. One shortcoming of the room was the lack of a kettle and tea/coffee.

The stay was ruined by the awful service in the London Carriage Works restaurant. The food was good but the Maitre D' and his disinterested staff detracted from the evening. I have sent an email to the hotel/restaurant with my observations but, 3 days later, I still await a reply. Reading other internet sites shows our experience not to be a one-off.

We arrived about 15 minutes late and were effectively admonished by the Maitre D’ and warned that our main courses would be delayed. Whilst I understand how a kitchen works and that our own delay would impact on the service, his manner was brusque and far from welcoming.

We noticed that our table had a butter dish on it. Later on in the evening we noticed that other diners were welcomed with bread and olives. We were offered neither.

We were attended by four members of staff including the Maitre D’ yet the most helpful of the group admitted that he couldn’t serve us as the table was allocated to another waiter.

Our desserts were brought from the kitchen by the Maitre D’ yet he put them on a side table whilst he chatted to two other diners and cleared their plates. We were served our desserts when he returned.

I asked the waitress if they stocked single malts when asked for an after dinner drink. She looked blankly at me and went to seek advice. She returned to tell me that they had Johnny Walker. This is not a single malt. When I asked for a list she provided one which was not opened at the right page. When I looked I found that they stock over 10 malts. She returned about 15 minutes later to see if I had selected. By this time we had asked for the bill. She took the drinks list away without any comment.

The bill took over 15 minutes to arrive as the waiter we requested it from clearly wasn’t empowered to do this himself.

Had the service been of an acceptable standard we would have also ordered dessert wine, cheese and more after dinner drinks probably adding another £50 to the bill. But we had just got fed up of being ignored by this stage.

I have eaten at restaurants around the world and have experienced wide-ranging service. However I’ve never come across a Maitre D’ so determined to express his disdain for his customers.

I read that the chef is hoping to attract a Michelin star soon. He needs to know that the hard work in the kitchen will be to no avail if his staff in the restaurant are so poor.

We retreated to the hotel bar to get a drink there. Being ignored there too we went to bed.

A real shame that a nice hotel is ruined by this service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple