“excellent food and service”
Review of The Grill Room - CLOSED

The Grill Room
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Grill room in an intimate local restaurant on the border of West Derby. It is family run headed by locally renowned chef Stewart St John and his wife Maisie offering contemporary British cooking from fresh locally sourced produce in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

a nice warm atmosphere great food at good prices , never fails to impress on service or friendliness . very clean always .

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Was looking to go out for a mid week meal with my wife, but didn't feel like the usual drive and pay for parking in the city centre, so looked for something closer to home on TA and was amazed to see a top ten on my doorstep so thought we'd give it a try!
The atmosphere is very cozy and welcoming, with the nice decor and lighting, plus good choice of background music played at perfect volume.
We were offered the mid week £12.99 two course special which all looked very nice, but after seeing the main menu decided to order from that as it was very good value anyway and looked great.
My wife had a halumi salad to start and ribeye for main and both were absolutely cooked to perfection and delicious, with the triple cooked chips being the best I've ever tasted!
I had the sticky ribs to start, which were superb, but would have loved more (but i am a greedy devil!). I followed with the gourmet burger which was a hand crafted and extremely tasty, plus filling.
Throught our time there the staff were attentive, but not over keen, getting the balance right. When i paid the bill i spoke to the head Chef (the kitchen is open to view from the bar area) and complimented him on the lovely meal, and told him we'll be back... and we will!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We live within walking distance of this restaurant, but I was unaware of its existence until I saw it mentioned on this site. Tried it for Sunday lunch and we were in agreement with most of the reviews. Only complaint was the wine, which I considered to be slightly overpriced.

1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Could not recommend this restaurant highly enough! We've been on a number of occasions and sampled a lot of dishes on the menu and everything has been fantastic. We have visited on weekdays as well as sampling the Sunday lunch and we really struggle to find a reason to go anywhere else. The chef (Stuart) comes to the table to check how everything is, even when the restaurant is really busy! And his wife, Maisie, couldn't be more helpful along with the rest of the staff. Our children love it here too, especially when Stuart came over and asked my particularly fussy youngest child what he fancied (we had explained that my son has an aversion to anything with sauce and basically anything that isn't plain chicken!) and grilled him a lovely piece of chicken and made it into a "chicken lollipop" on a stick, even though it wasn't on the menu - that's what I call service.

The place has a lovely atmosphere, staff are always attentive but never obtrusive and nothing is too much trouble, the food is excellent and the prices are fantastic for the standard of food. And even better, its five minutes away and we don't have to worry about paying for taxis to and from town!

Love it!

3  Thank MrsGormley
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have visited the grill room on numerous occasions. We make the journey from the wirral especially as the food is that good. Each time we have had excellent service and even better food. The chef even visited the table, making you feel that little bit special. I recommend you make a visit to this amazing restaurant. You will not be disappointed.