“Will return”

Ranked #49 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Liverpool
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Will return”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just got back from The Block after a 4 night stay. We had a double & twin bedroomed apartment. Very clean, with lots of natural light. Big enough for 4 adults sharing. Plenty of towels left and changed after 2 days (same with sheets). Slight hiccup on arrival - no cutlery, large saucepan or TV remote. However, a 'phone to reception and a meeting with Jo in the lift got these items replaced very quickly. Our toaster caused the electricity to 'trip' on our first morning, but 2 electricians came in minutes to show us how to adjust it. I found the staff on reception very helpful - any 'phone call was dealt with promptly. It was extremely hot during our stay and, yes, the apartments would have benefitted from air con., but how often do we get such a hot spell of weather in this country? Last July we were getting washed out!! I got a fan from reception which was used in the back bedroom (no window). We also left the living area window/doors open during the night to get some air circulating, with limited success. There was no extractor fan in the bathroom. There was no door on the ensuite in our double room, but this did not trouble us. We just closed the bedroom door. The apartment was a few minutes stroll to The Albert Dock, with lots of restaurants and attractions. Also a short walk to Liverpool One and the city centre. We had a great time in Liverpool and will be back at The Block.

Room Tip: One dishwasher tablet supplied and some washing up liquid. Bring extra tablets to avoid hand washin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at The Block a few days ago and cannot say better things about it. The rooms were big and spacious and felt like a home away from home. I had a sea view room and the view was fantastic and with the weather being nice it was lovely to wake up and look out. My room had 2 double beds and 1 ensuite and I couldn't have asked for a better room; clean, open and spacious. My one complaint was that our neighbours were quite noisy but that is beyond the staff's control. I will definitely stay again and will recommend to everyone coming to Liverpool!

Buncrana, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were in Liverpool last week for two nights, and the place that we had booked overbooked and we had no place to stay, the receptionist at another apartment who was very kind and called around to find us alternative accommodation (He had no rooms himself) and got us this apartment. We could not have been happier as it was so nice they even gave us an upgrade to a beautiful room with a great view, the staff were so nice, especially a lady called Mrs Pugh , I will recommend these apartments to my friends and will come to stay again, thank you all again for being so kind to us in our predicament.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a wonderful stay from beginning to end. We stayed in 6 p apartment asked for a view of the water. Arrived a bit early but room ready so let us check in. Met very nice lady in the lift who told us to just ask for anything we needed, made to feel very welcome. Apartment was just lovely, bright clean airy, fabulous views just as requested!! Every room spotless, kitchen living area great, fridge, cooker, micro , kettle etc etc.. went with mum and sisters and we all loved it. Mum said she couldnt believe how comfy the beds were, we decided it would be a great place to live! 5 mins walk to albert docks location great.. staff great, room great , would stay again in flash

Room Tip: We had top floor view of harbour
Caernarfon
Reviewed July 4, 2013

These apartments were ideal for a group of friends coming to Liverpool for the weekend. The were clean and spacious. Make sure that you share the en-suite with a partner as mentioned, there is no door. You don't really want to wake up to seeing someone on the toilet!
The location was good and nice views. Was given a 25% discount ticket for the car park- really handy.
I woke up really early as there were no black out blinds or curtains- it was like the middle of the day ay 4am. I had made a booking for 10 people (2 apartments) but contacted them by phone to change this. I was told that we would be given 2 smaller apartments at a lower cost. On the day however, there was no record of this phone call and we had to pay for the original booking which was £125 more expensive. I was not happy with this.
This has probably put me off booking again

Room Tip: If you leave the window open you can hear a lot of noise down the street- lorries, people talking et...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited here for my 21st birthday as a group of friends, the apartment was perfect for us and had plenty of space.
the only downfalls would be that during our stay the hot water run out and took a while to heat back up and also I think the flats would benefit from air condition as we stayed during a hot weekend on the 3rd floor and the windows did not fully open so we were boiling..

other than that, a brilliant stay and would happily return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Currently staying at The Block apartments overlooking Keel Wharf in Liverpool and perfectly happy with it. Having read the TA reviews prior to booking and finding them, for the most part, positive, I decided to give it a go instead of opting for a B&B deal in a nearby hotel and a decision well taken it was too because I have saved just short of £500 overall!

The apartment I'm in costs just £240 for 4 nights, has 2 bedrooms and can sleep 4 so were it used to its capacity it would have worked out even cheaper as the cost is rated per apartment not per person. There's no breakfast provision but I fetched any "necessaries" from home with me which is what I do if I stay in a hotel anyway.

The apartment has a double room with an en-suite wet room as well as a twin room (but this can be made into a double). Some of the TA reviewers commented on the lack of a door between the bedroom/toilet and whilst I can sympathise with those whose modesty prevents them from using the loo if a partner/sharer is just a few yards away, having seen the en-suite set up for myself would just say they need to get over themselves and take 4, maybe 5 more steps and use the main bathroom instead! There were also comments re. lack of hot water but this was not the case during my visit.

Overall, whilst not entirely perfect (which can also be said of a number of the bigger, branded chains) The Block is certainly good value for money. Positives include: Good size and spacious; 2 bedrooms, one with en-suite wet room, a large bathroom with both bath and electric shower, large airy open plan fully equipped kitchen/diner/lounge with view over the keel wharf, convenient location, 24hr reception, roving security and helpful staff.

The negatives in comparison are minimal; Yes, a lick of fresh paint wouldn't go amiss, the outside of the windows could do with a clean and there was a bit of noise as people passed along the corridor on their way back in the evening; the latter of which is beyond the proprietors control but are these deal-breakers?? Of course not!

I wasn't planning on spending much time in the apartment during my visit so this was the ideal, cost-effective option for my trip. That said, it would have been an equally suitable option if I had been staying in more. I also think it would be good value for a family - certainly cheaper and more space than staying in a hotel.

I would definitely stay here (or similar) again and would probably recommend that my colleagues opt for something like this for future business-related trips.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular really. I just read the TA reviews beforehand, noted any recurring themes (in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business