Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #47 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Dublin, Ireland
“Liked it.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Location isnt the best. Its quite far from city centre but thats to be expected. Room was abit dark. Obviously the building wasnt intended to be a hotel as its a former airfield. Bed was great, decent telly. Nice staff. Would recommend it. There's a Mcdonalds and some other places near by.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Lincs
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here two nights in June, one was independently booked the other as part of the competition squad that we were involved in. The receptionist on our first night was more akin to that working in a Drs surgery, less than welcoming. We struggled to the room with our bags, having not been directed to the lift! Rooms were nice, very retro with plenty of tea and coffee. My key complaint about this hotel was that my daughter thought she has left behind an important hoodie that showed her success at a swimming competition. We rang the hotel and gave the room number and the receptionist put us through to a housekeeping, well we never got through the phone just rang. I then called reception again and she said she would get housekeeping to check and call us back, because we were still in Liverpool and could have collected it. Nothing. I called again. The same receptionist was by this point getting somewhat annoyed, evident by her tone! Nothing

I subsequently emailed the hotel on several occasions, nothing. Just felt that they need to look at their customer service as this was certainly substandard for this type of hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Crowne Plaza John Lennon Airport. I can assure you that all the departments involved with your lost item made thorough investigations and every effort made to locate and return your lost item.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Vicki Mangan
Guest Services Manager
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have stayed here quite a few times over the years since it was built and its a great place to stay,especially when you have an early flight in the morning.
We had 2 rooms between the six of us and they were very clean and spacious.Had a pizza at the bar and it was enough for 2 people to share and was very tasty.
I have always found the staff to be very freindly and helpful and when i returned from my holiday i went back as we thought my daughter had left her DS in the room,and the receptionist went out of her way to help,as it turned out,it had been left in the taxi and was returned to us.Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
West Yorkshire
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were having a night out in Liverpool. All city centre hotels were around £130/140 for the night some with breakfast, some not. Thought this was too expensive so opted for Crowne Plaza at Liverpool Airport and decided to get a taxi into the city.

Incredible value, £69 for a double-double room ie two double beds or a king bed. We opted for a king bed and adjoining rooms. The rooms were well decorated and furnished and the beds were just fabulous. Really comfortable mattress and the pillows also really comfortable. Breakfast could be added for £10 per person if prebooked on arrival or £15 on the day.

We had a light snack in the restaurant on arrival which was good value and tasty. Bar service friendly and attentive.

Breakfast was very substantial, masses of choice, huge fresh fruit/cereal counter, continental buffet and huge cooked breakfast station.

Service staff again very friendly and attentive and the coffee wasn't half bad either (for me hotel coffee at breakfast is usually strong and been in the pot too long).

Definitely well worth booking this hotel, the taxi only cost about £7 I think into the city so even with the taxi both ways we were well in front.

Reception staff also very welcoming and friendly and of course being out of town, plenty of parking space. Plus, the Art Deco features of this hotel are worth seeing!

Room Tip: Being close to airport I think the sound installation must be first class as the hotel is very, very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past for work and this morning when checking out there was a £3.50 charge added to the bill for using an AMEX card.

All AMEX'ers know there is sometimes difficulty using the AMEX card as many places do not even accept it, but today after staying at this hotel many times in the past and always paying with my AMEX card (my company policy is to pay for hotels with an AMEX card) I was charged £3.50.

Im not terribly bothered about it but I wanted other people to know that this charge could be applied to your bill at the end of your stay and lets face it no one likes unexpected room charges do they?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding the AMEX use charge, your feedback has been forwarded to the relevant department. I am pleased that this has not deterred you from using our hotel on a regular basis.

Many thanks

Vicki Mangan
Guest Services Manager
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First of all I would like to say this was our 4th time staying here but unfortunately I never reviewed my past stays which we're all excellent so I would like to briefly mention those prior visits!

We originally stayed here in December 2010 as we had our works Christmas party here and the hotel did an offer of if you we're having your works party there you could get a room at a rate of 50 pound a night based on 2 sharing. Both myself and my partner work at the same place so we decided to stay over and also booked a 2nd night we also did this the following year in December 2011 following another works Christmas party as we really enjoyed it the previous year! The hotel was excellent, food was lovely and prices were quite reasonable we used room service and had breakfast and could not complain about anything. The staff are great really friendly and down to earth and really go out of their way for you! We stayed in a standard room on both of these occasions and the rooms are lovely and clean, beds are comfortable and it is nice and quiet! The only problem we had was on our second stay in 2011 we had to request to move rooms as our room was above the function room and there was another Christmas party on (ours was the previous night) it was very loud but the reception staff were very understanding especially when they realised what room we were in and they promptly moved us to a quieter room without any problems so I would still say this was an excellent stay!

We stayed again April 2013 for my partners dads 60th birthday with most of my partners family staying over too! We had drinks in the bar and had a great meal in the restaurant which was very reasonably priced, food was lovey and the staff were very attentive. Everybody commented on the good rates for the rooms, how nice everything was, how nice the rooms and beds were and just how great the hotel and its staff are and how the amazing staff really make this hotel! The following morning we decided to all stay for breakfast, brilliant selection both continental and cooked breakfast and plenty of food to have. I would also like to say thank you to staff for helping organise a great surprise birthday for my partners Dad he really enjoyed it!

Now to our recent visit August 2013! We both decided to book a junior suite as a anniversary treat and we found a really good deal. The website stated that with the suite you get use of the club lounge (which we were informed had tea/coffee facilities, selection of drinks and canapés which are provided in evenings as well as continental breakfast in the morning). The website also stated you get upgraded toiletries, complimentary bottle of house wine, crisps, chocolate, sweets and a free movie. This is all very generous however in reality the toiletries are the same you get in other rooms (not a problem as they are nice but why state otherwise) the bottle of house wine was a small individual bottle and the sweets, chocolate and crisps were in fact ONE cupcake on a slate with chocolate writing on it that read welcome! Do not get me wrong this is very nice of the hotel to provide and I do not want to sound ungrateful but from the website description you do expect more and although sharing a small bottle isn't an issue why not provide a cake each, for me it's one of those things that if your going to do it, do it right if not then its just probably better to leave it! You did however get a free film which is deducted from your bill upon checkout this is very good as the films would actually cost you over ten pounds! The jacuzzi bath was lovely, really really relaxing and the dressing gowns felt really luxurious and the room itself was nice with a seating area and again a lovey comfortable bed! What really really disappointed me about the suite (this was room 280), was the constant loud low rumble of a fan that vibrated around the whole room I can only describe that it was similar to the sound of a Diesel engine running and this sound really gets into your head. We said nothing at first as we thought it was probably from the laundry room and would eventually stop! When we returned to the room at about half ten at night the noise was still there. I will hold my hands up and admit I am quite sensitive to noise and need it to be very quiet to sleep however even my partner who can sleep through a lot of noise stated the noise was unbearable and really gets in your head! I went down to reception to explain the problem, the staff were very very nice a man behind the desk asked what room we were in and when I told him he said oh yeah it will be the extractor fan and that he was sure it shuts off after 11pm, I said oh if that's the case that should be fine. Just before I left the woman behind the desk said if there is still a problem there wouldn't be a problem moving us, I said thank you and returned to our suite. At half 11 the fan was still going so I did request to be moved and the same man and woman at reception were very nice and did this for us, we were moved to room 260 which was across on the opposite side to our previous suite. The layout of the suite was the same and unfortunately you could hear the fan here too although where the bed was situated it didn't seem to be as loud as it was on the far side of the room and in the bathroom and as I did not want to make yet another fuss we stayed here but for our 2 night stay we didn't have the best sleep! I know from looking at other hotel reviews this is by no means the only hotel that has rooms near extractor fans e.t.c. But why on earth are these not sound proofed properly even if other people have not said anything about this noise as far as I'm concerned you pay for a quiet nights sleep and unfortunately it ruined the experience of the suites for both myself and my partner and I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for the suites as we have had better nights sleep in the standard rooms on previous visits. By the way the fans never once shut off the two nights we were at the hotel!

The website also states from Monday to Friday you get complimentary breakfast with the suites I was informed that the lounge you have access to only has continental if you want cooked you have to go to the breakfast room however thankfully on entering the breakfast room I felt the need to ask if our complimentary breakfast included cooked we were told no only continental but we could have it in the breakfast room as well as the club lounge! The Continental breakfast is lovely and there is a great selection and staff are extremely nice and attentive and we did enjoy it my only problem is I feel the website is misleading because I did think complimentary breakfast meant all the breakfast including cooked and people may expect more!

The club lounge you have access to is pretty good however don't expect much from the canapés we have never used this lounge before this visit but speaking to another guest who has used it before as he visits regularly with his wife and grandchildren told us that he was there last October and that it was so much better there were a lot more canapés provided and it was well worth the extra money you paid for your room but he felt whoever had now taken over the hotel had changed policies etc and it was not as good! To be fair the lounge is a nice touch and you can have a few drinks and soft drinks etc but food wise it seemed pretty stingy and again if your not going to do things properly you would be better leaving bowls of crisps out! The staff who manned the lounge were again very nice and would stop and chat to you!

On our first night we booked a table at the restaurant this has now been changed since we last stayed in April it is now called Seasons with a different menu. Again lovely staff and the food is amazing, very nice however it has become quite expensive compared to what is used to be we shared a starter, had a main and dessert each as well as a bottle of wine between us and a coffee each our bill came to almost 90 pound this is for two people! Don't get me wrong the food is really nice and we did order the 2nd most expensive meal for our main but we felt it was a little expensive for what you got and I've seen on reviews managers have stated they are competitive prices however we tend to go to hotels and nice restaurants quite a lot and its never this expensive and compared to the old restaurant it is more expensive! We usually order room service when we stay but we found this had also gone up in price and after what we had spent at the restaurant we actually went to McDonald's for lunch over in the retail park and in the evening we got a cheaper main at the bar!

I would also like to point out you can buy vouchers from reception to use at the hotel, for every 20 pound you get an extra 5 pounds so this helps you save some money and a really good idea by the hotel well worth taking advantage of!

I would also like to mention the WIFI back in April you could get an hour a day free now it is almost 5 pounds for an hour and almost 13 for 24 hours. I think this is very expensive I know B and B s where you pay 20 pound per person per night including breakfast and get free WIFI! I think for a hotel such as Crowne Plaza to not even have WIFI for free in communal areas at least is a little ridiculous as these days WIFI is a pretty basic thing for any hotel to have! I did try to connect in communal areas but it stated I would need to pay if it does happen to be free in these areas I was not informed and when connecting it asks for card details.

I know this is a long review but I wanted to get everything in, the hotel and the staff are lovely and I really mean it when I say the staff make the hotel what it is and I hope whoever is in charge knows what a great team they have! Rates on the rooms are still very good but unfortunately the rest of the hotel has become a little expensive which would make us now think twice about staying! I couldn't recommend the suites either simply because of the noise I feel this certainly needs looking at as the suites themselves are lovely but what's the point if you can't relax and have a decent nights sleep!

Again a big thank you to all the staff you are brilliant!

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful nights sleep without noise of fans avoid junior suites in particular 280 and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here a few times and really enjoyed stay each time. The staff really make this hotel, as they are friendly, helpful and will go out of their way to help. A true credit to the hotel. This has been the vase on every occasion we have visited this hotel. I would rate the staff as excellent/outstanding! This ranging from Reception staff, bar staff, restaurant staff, club room staff and cleaners. All brilliant.

Based on previous visits, I would also have rated the hotel as excellent but feel on this visit things were different. We had discussed whether the hotel management company had 'changed hands', and when chatting to staff this appears to have been the case. We knew that something had changed from when we stepped foot into the hotel reception, as although things were clean, they weren't as clean as we would usually expect to find.

On this occasion we had booked ourselves into a suite, which was lovely, large and had lots of little extras like the jacuzzi bath, robe and slippers....not to mention complimentary use of Club Lounge. Although, after talking to other visitors we realise that there have been massive cut backs in what is available in Club Lounge. Still great though, just a shame a little more isn't available.

The complimentary continental breakfast with a suite room was an added bonus. Both continental and cooked buffet breakfast are comprehensive with a great choice, and we've never been disappointed here. There really is something for everybody, and the food is great.

Cleanliness of the room, once again was good but not a clean as we usually find it at this hotel, though I don't understand how people can complain about cleanliness level as it is still very good. We actually bumped into the maid during our stay and she was happy and willing to help us. She was very friendly.

On our first night, we had a problem with noise from extremely loud fans in our room from air con/extractor fans above us, and the staff were fantastic and moved us to another room straight away. Again, staff are a true credit, and this is a common theme through the hotel.
Another bonus is that the hotel have now done away with parking charges for paying guests. Great!

Now here is the one big negative:
The last time we stayed in this hotel before this visit was back in April for my Dad's 60th Birthday. Back then (4months ago) the restaurant food menu was much cheaper. I've read hotel management feedback on this, and they state that prices are competitive with other hotels, but in my opinion and experience in hotels (including this one only 4 months ago) I'm not sure it truly is. This is a real shame as the food is, and always has been great.

This just made us not want to eat in the hotel, and instead we made other eating arrangements, whereas in the past we would have eaten all meals in hotel and got room service too. The only plus in terms of food and drink- vouchers which when purchased give you and extra £5 for every £20 you buy.
Such a shame, as this is the only real negative in an otherwise great hotel.

Room Tip: Suite rooms have access to Club Lounge with some complimentary nibbles and drinks, though area littl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple