“Usual top standards EXCEPT breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed over Easter and the hotel was busy. However as usual the staff were awesome, the room comfortable, David Lloyds excellent. However, you guys have still got a long way to go to get breakfast to the high standards it was a couple of years ago. Fortunately you've abandoned the mad system of tea and coffee on a table near the kitchen, and once again it's brought to your table - phew! But both days we were there (Sat and Sun), there weren't enough staff and bless them they were run ragged. Queue out of the door on Sunday, very grumpy people! But the kitchen still hasn't got its act together, everything runs out quickly and takes an age to replace. So much time spent hanging around tutting for orange juice, milk, bread for toast, eggs etc etc. Very very poor on our last visit and frankly has been like that for quite a long time.

If you want to see how to do breakfast properly, go see the Hilton at Dartford Bridge. Unbelievably good due to more staff and an incredibly efficient manager!

Room Tip: A very long way from any weddings going on!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast. We have made some adjustments to our staffing levels to ensure that this incident does not occur again in the future. I am pleased that you have welcomed back our coffee and tea table service, we are as a management team continually working to improve our service for our guests.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Vicki Mangan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,296)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We booked to stay overnight at the Crown Plaza with the facility of parking the car for a week, whilst we went on holiday. This is the second time we have used this facility. The staff were friendly and helpful. A parking spot was allocated in the disabled bay at the front of the hotel and our bags were taken to the room. The room was clean and the two double beds were very comfortable. We had a drink and a meal in the bar - again attended by very willing and helpful staff. The personnel are very proud of the history of the hotel and we were invited to a tour by the porter - it was very interesting. I would definitely use the facility again and would recommend the hotel for an overnight stay just to take in the art nouveau decor that has been tastefully restored.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport, I have shared your review with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I honestly would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Filthy is the only word i can describe it as.

Positives- the front desk staff have always been friendly and helpful. The gym agreement with David Lloyd is wonderful. The common areas are clean and presentable.

Negatives- where do i start! My room wasn't cleaned properly on arrival or at all throughout my stay. I have stayed here a number of times (not by choice) and have suspected on occasion that the sheets have been dirty, but now i don't doubt it at all. I don't want to get into how dirty my room was but let's say it was worse than what i would expect in an Indian 2 star hotel! It was as though i'd been given clean (maybe) towels and nothing else even cleaned. Yuck!

There are far too many negatives to mention but i would never had written a review had i suspected it be a one off. I know for a fact it wasn't and I would highly suggest that the housekeeping staff are given a pay rise to motivate them to actually do something!

I could also hear the man next door snoring. And it's always FREEZING! in winter

I would give it a 1 rating but they do have some redeeming qualities so i can't be that mean.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear onholidaylover,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind remarks for the front desk staff. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation specifically with the room conditions. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 20, 2013

There is definitely something wrong with the hotel management going on, as it has worsened since my last stay, that was a year ago.
Firstly- poor platinum recognision. We did get club lounge access, but no room upgrade and we were told every hour of late check-out would cost 10 pounds. I inicially asked for 15:00 check-out, and was finally granted it free, as that depends on how "guests speak to the reception lady".
Also, the club lounge is the poorest I've seen in terms of items and supervision. The first night there was a lady attending it time after time, but nobody during the second. The bottle of red wine finished fast, no replacement (no other spirits provided). The coffee machine requires regular cleaning and refilling - again nobody came to do that in the daytime.
Finally, internet is free 1 hour a day, but when I came down for the connection intructions in the evening, another lady gave me unlimited conection.
On the other hand, room was clean, breakfast with no issues. There was temporary lack of vaiours items during breakfasts, but generally the restaurant waiters were doing their best.
Free access to David Lloyd for hotel guests is a great advantage - the hotel reception staff could train there how the guests need to be greated and treated.
All in all, the hotel seems to be having no standard and many accidental things happen causing various impressions on a guest.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport, I would like to convey my sincere apologies for the challenges you faced during your stay. We are at present going through changes with our front desk and Club Lounge team members. I would like to assure you that this is not the usual high standard of customer service that we promote at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport and I will be using your feedback as a re-training tool for the team.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hello. I'll keep this short as possible. I stayed in the hotel for a couple days on business and made use of the great facilities. The room was great. There was a sour note.

I did witness a Manager, or a person who seemed to be in authority take a hissy fit on one of her staff for not undertaking a task from what I could hear. The young girl who was subject to this was totally stunned and rightly so. The whole time I was in the bar the young girl never stopped working. The young girl can't be in two/three places at once, why doesn't the Manager help? She didn't look half as busy to me. I'm not one for getting involved but the Manager was totally in the wrong and she caused an atmosphere in the bar area. I think you've hired totally the wrong person to Manage those bar staff.

The staff who work on breakfast, the restaurant, front desk and especially the bar are top class. They're probably on minimum wage. I don't understand how the Manager(s) expect their staff to complete several tasks at the same time, when its utterly impossible. Especially when they're probably doubling their younger counter-parts salary. Managers are there to oversee/run things, this doesn't make them immune to helping if no help is immediately at hand.

Other than that, I can recommend this hotel.

PS, the chef was brilliant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank for you complementary comments regarding our staff. I will ensure your kind words are passed on to the relavant departments. I can only apologise for the scene that you witnessed in the bar, this sort of behaviour is not of a Crowne Plaza standard.
If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed in the ambassador suite, I found it very cool. I have stayed in a lot of suites in my time but never one over two floors. I have stayed in better suites but for the money this was the best value one I have come across.

The only problem with the suite was the lighting in the dressing area was a bit dim and the mattress dipped in the middle. Oh and the mini bar was empty. But other than that the room was great and I would book it again.

The staff on the front desk are friendly and helpful.

The club lounge is not worth visiting, and is poorly stocked with food and drink.

Oh and while I was there, the hotel got raided by the police and armed officers where roaming the halls in the early hours. Is that a traditional scouse welcome? I got a pic of the police outside the hotel, they seemed very serious and did not like me taking pictures! Only in Liverfool!

Room Tip: The ambassador suite is worth a visit.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clinton O
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for your candid review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the Ambassador Suite, We are taking steps to change the Club Lounge so hopefully on your next visit you will find everything you need. Regarding the incident with the police I would like to assure you that all guests and staff in the hotel were perfectly safe, the type of situation which arose happens in every major town and city especially when holding big events such as The Grand National. The police dealt with the incident as quickly and with as little disruption to our guests and staff as possible.
I look forward to welcoming you and your party back to Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport next year.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here a few times on business and it's OK, room fine etc but 2 things have really wound me up. First they did not do a wake up call I suggested but this time.....
When I am booked gluten free breakfast always requested and I asked again when I checked in- Day 1 breakfast, no GF bread and lots of apologies, Day 2- STILL no GF bread and more apologies. Day 3 - guess what? I was checking out and told front desk who promised to get back to me- nothing. I could have popped over the road and bought a loaf myself. Really poor customer service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I wish to apologise for the breakdown of communication between reception and the kitchen. It is never our intention to not fulfill our guests special requests dietary of other.
I do hope to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport.