“Highly recommended”

Ranked #47 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Warrington
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently held our wedding ceremony and daytime and evening reception at the Crowne Plaza John Lennon.
The venue was superb; the architecture and the decor were amazing.
The staff were great; very professional but so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble for them.
Particular thanks go to Peter, the wedding coordinator; a really nice guy, happy to accommodate our plans and had loads of practical advice gained from experience and to Steve, our toastmaster who 'ran' the wedding on the day and did a fantastic job, really putting us at ease and ensuring that the day went smoothly.
We, and many of our guests, stayed at the hotel on the night of the wedding. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious.
We would recommend that anyone planning a wedding in the Liverpool area should put this on their shortlist of venues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie_Steve181
Phil D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give this feedback. My team thoroughly enjoyed delivering your wedding. It is great to see Peter mentioned as I can thank him again for continuing to wow our guests.
Hope you have a great honeymoon and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just wanted to say that the service and friendliness of the staff made this a wonderful start to our holiday. We stayed one night and were flying out early the next day. Our room was spotless and extremely comfortable. We loved the funky art deco style of the building. The fabulous breakfast buffet and happy staff was a wonderful start to the holiday. Leaving our car in the hotel carpark was also a great benefit. This hotel is a perfect location for staying in Liverpool or jetting off somewhere the next day. I would always recommend this hotel to family and friends looking for a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Rooms over the lobby may be a little noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review. I am please we delivered on all areas of our business to you.
Hope you holiday went well

Phil D GM
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked the hotel for a conference in Liverpool's outskirts. This is not a city centre hotel, so probably not suitable for city breaks.

The first impressions of the building and public areas are very impressive - as this used to be the terminal building for Speke Areodrome (think screaming women and the Beatles). This illusion is slightly shattered when you walk around the rear of the building which is a kind of wasteland style car park and service areas of the hotel. They should really make something of the planes they have and make this a nice garden area perhaps...

Anyway - check in was OK - with the usual confusion of thinking we had paid upfront - but we infact hadn't (seems common these days). I could see we were possibly in for a rough night as there were already drunken wedding guests (and Bride) hanging around the front of the hotel.

Our room was small, but nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom was particularly nice - very much in the deco style as per the rest of the building.

We had a few drinks in the bar whilst I watched Norwich beat Man United (haha!). These were very expensive - but I was not surprised by this. The bar man willingly changed a pint that was totally flat - so good service there.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but instead went over the road to Pizza Hut. There is also a McDonalds and a Northern chain called Damons - which is famous for ribs and often packed.

When we got back after our meal the music was very loud from the wedding and I could actually feel it throough the floor. I called reception and they said that it'd be finished by 1am but they would make sure the patio doors were shut. Nothing really improved so i demanded a new room - which after some thought they decided we could have - thankfully away from the wedding noise. I felt they could have done more sooner - especially as when I checked in they asked if I was with the wedding group - I assumed we would be placed away from it...not on top of it!!

When we checked out half of me tought that they would offer some sort of apology - but the other half of me was right and it was not even acknowledged - hence the average review.

Room Tip: Check for weddings!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PenistoneJames
HI
Thank you for your humorous football posting. . I too would like to address the rear of the hotel. We rent the rear of the hotel free of charge to the charities who run an operation to refurbish the planes on the car park. It is our aspiration over the next year that we will have at least 4 planes parked at the back facing our restaurant.
We also had the pleasure at 3.45pm Pope John Paul 2nd on the 30/5/1982 kissed our tarmac, which has glad fully protected our rear airport Apron from any development ever since..
I am glad to hear my team room moved you away from the festivities, and I look forward to continuing our success with your positive feedback

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed here last April. The hotel itslef is lovely, the room was extermely spacious and clean. It is a bit outside the city but perfect if you are looking for somewhere near the airport.
The staff done their job but that's all, nothing special.
Breakfast was also lovely, would stay again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HI,

Thank you for your feedback on my hotel, it is indeed an awesome building. I hope to see you in the future as my team are keen to deliver outstandingly to all our guests and next time you will feel the difference.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I plus my son and his family spent three nights at the Crowne Plaza, Liverpool Aerodrome from 24-27 December 2012. Our executive room was okay and the bed very comfortable although the leaking shower and ill-fitting plastic curtain meant that the floor of our bathroom was permanently wet!

The extra coat hangers that I requested never appeared and the two small yoghurt pots that had been left on the windowsill outside our door remained for the whole of our stay.

On Christmas Eve I hosted a family dinner for eight people. The restaurant was full because a ‘Solos’ group of mainly senior citizens had booked in for Christmas. The food, unfortunately, was below average with the belly pork being undercooked and inedible and the sirloin steak being as tough as old boots.

The staff agreed with our comments and gave us a reduction in the bill although this in no way made up for our disappointment.

Breakfast on Christmas day plumbed new depths! My wife and I arrived at 09:45 o’clock and were shown to a bare wooden table that had 2 knives, 2 forks and to paper napkins on it; no salt-and-pepper, no sugar and no sweeteners.

We were then informed that breakfast was “self-service” and they weren’t kidding. We had to ask for mugs as there were none available! There were no saucers and not enough spoons and only one type of normal teabag. The hot water was kept in a flask but was empty! Three trips to the serving area, however, solved the problem of salt, pepper, sugar, fruit juice, a cup of tea (without a saucer) and toast, marmalade and a side plate! We were then able to go for our breakfast.

As for the food itself, the items of a full English breakfast were available but dried out from being left too long on the hot plate. No member of staff was monitoring anything so residents were constantly asking for items to be replaced.

The breakfast was the same on all three mornings during our stay.

The restaurant is a major weakness of this hotel. We found the hotel staff to be willing but obviously without training or experience. This was epitomised on Christmas night when the staff staged a walkout at 9 o’clock in the evening leaving the residents to their own devices!

In business, I have always had the mantra that there are no such things as bad employees only bad managers. Our experience of these three days in Liverpool reinforces my view that the management of this hotel is totally inadequate.

I should say that when I was complaining about the poor transport cafe that they called a restaurant another resident chipped in by saying “I thought the breakfast was sound”. When I suggested that we had totally different standards he tried to impress me by saying that he lived in Dubai and Abu Dhabi!

So there we have it. If you wish to eat breakfast that is “sound” then by all means stay at the Crowne Plaza. If, on the other hand, you prefer a restful stay in a quality hotel then you would be well advised to look for somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Philip K
Phil D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed feedback. I have had some amazing feedback about my hotel and team over this Christmas period, with only the issue of the bar on Christmas Day, which was not a walk out, more than a sickness issue which was not foreseen, as if it was please be rest assured we would have addressed the issue. I have had compliments about service from numerous guest about service on Christmas day and about breakfast etc but it is such a shame we have not delivered to you on this occasion. Did you manage to raise any of your concerns during the stay,? apart from you dinner. As if it had been raised I am sure my team would have worked relentlessly to exceed any guest expectation . We have a new team on board and this was their first Christmas and I can confidently say we improve with every piece of guest feedback and we continually do so, so we can exceed all our guests expectations through 2013.
Please contact me via the hotel so I can discuss this in more detail so I can assist the hotel in moving constantly forward.
Thank you for this and your contact in advance
manchester
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed over Christmas 2012. The room was clean, comfortable and furnished to a high standard and despite being so close to an airport not one single plane went over and the location is very quiet. Even though it was Christmas the room was cleaned and serviced daily. The meals were lovely but we found the staff had nearly no idea what they were serving. On Christmas Day the hotel bar closed at 9 pm due to staffing issues and didn't open again till after 11 pm, didn't bother non-drinkers like me but a lot of the other guests were quite annoyed. One excellent buffet dinner had the shine rather taken off it because the young girl staffing it was in tears for much of the time. A lovely location though, very interesting building with many interesting artifacts on display. I feel they would benefit from a few more mature staff as the very young staff team are struggling to run a hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the balanced feedback. I appreciate the positives about your whole stay and the constructive feedback on the night of the 25th. I can only apologise for this 2 hour short coming as if it was foreseen we would have taken action sooner. I am reviewing the whole event of these 2 hours and will be supporting my team to ensure we do not repeat the occurrence.
Thank you for your posting and I look forward to welcoming you back next Christmas

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I booked a special lunch for my Mum's 80th birthday on Saturday 22nd December at the Starways restaurant at the hotel. Claire from the events staff was wonderful, On the day the waiting staff were incredible - nothing was too much trouble, so friendly and kind to the special people in our party, the food was so tasty. An absolute joy!

Thank you to all the staff!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the lovely feedback, I truly appreciate your posting. It is great to hear my team named as it enables me to thank them individually.